Upgrading from a PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Upgrading from a PCX?

Post by Valiant »

Well, thinking back on it, I believe I have an idea as to how my transmission got so f***ed up.

Just prior to swapping out the Yuminashi vario with the Daytona vario(which was when the problems popped up), I had some massive takeoff lag. Doing some online searching, I figured it was the clutch bell being glazed. The suggestion on the Goldwing forums was to engage the front brake and open the throttle to about 3000-4000rpms for a few seconds. I did that a LOT, and it was about 10 seconds each time.

I figure that's actually the most likely candidate for eating the belt.

Not too sure how to feel about mods. For sure you should be able to do them all yourself, or else just don't do it. Because a scooter shop and a motorcycle dealer(both highly rated on Yelp) both took a look at the transmission, but evidently only I was bothered by the thick layer of black crap all over the inside. Granted, neither of them broke the fairings, but I resolved the issue with 2 hours of work...hopefully.

I'll test it on the highway tomorrow :D .

I'm still certain I have neither the space, the time, nor the expertise to shove a larger throttle body and throttle cable in there, so I'd still go ahead with selling the thing and running my sweet new CB300F full stock.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Valiant wrote:Costly as it is, it was good to get this lesson across now rather than still have the idea if and when I moved up.
If that's the worst financial mistake you make in your life, you'll be doing better than the vast majority of the rest of us.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well the belt swap was only good for one run. Same problem, maybe even slightly worse(60-62 mph instead of 65 like the last time).

My speed went up to 72 mph before the problem popped back up again.

Might be a belt related issue, but the belt itself isn't the problem.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Leave the cover off and run it up to speed on the center stand to get a visual on what is happening.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Did you watch the video?

I don't have anyone around to give me a hand with that.

I figure right now the best course of action is to stop screwing with it, buy whatever bolts and screws I might be missing, and just sell it as is. Maybe I can at least get a grand for it in the pathetic state it's in.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Do you not have the standard transmission parts to refit?
Start at the beginning again and see what's it's like.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Oh I do, I'm just waiting on a 39mm socket I ordered for the clutch nut, but I figure everything I did isolates the problem in the rear pulley assembly or the center spring. Either that Takegawa spring is way stiffer than I thought, or the black powder I found managed to get into the slots of the torque driver, keeping it from opening up properly. Nothing I've seen would indicate that there was a "lethal combination" of aftermarket parts.

Still, it's kind of amusing when you think about it. I managed to get 65 mph road speed with a transmission that doesn't shift into high gear. That's like riding a bicycle at 30 mph on first gear.

I kind of feel like I might be falling into a money trap where I have to shell out another $1,000 in parts and equipment to fix this thing when I could have just sold it for $1,000 and be $2,000 richer to put towards my future CB300F <_<
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Oh I do, I'm just waiting on a 39mm socket I ordered for the clutch nut, but I figure everything I did isolates the problem in the rear pulley assembly or the center spring. Either that Takegawa spring is way stiffer than I thought, or the black powder I found managed to get into the slots of the torque driver, keeping it from opening up properly. Nothing I've seen would indicate that there was a "lethal combination" of aftermarket parts.

Still, it's kind of amusing when you think about it. I managed to get 65 mph road speed with a transmission that doesn't shift into high gear. That's like riding a bicycle at 30 mph on first gear.

I kind of feel like I might be falling into a money trap where I have to shell out another $1,000 in parts and equipment to fix this thing when I could have just sold it for $1,000 and be $2,000 richer to put towards my future CB300F <_<

Buy a cheap lighter, light it if you can (Christ that'll run and run) throw it in the petrol tank and put all of us out of your misery.

You have put petrol in?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

No, my PCX runs purely on caffeine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:No, my PCX runs purely on caffeine.

Now you are just another mocha.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Mocha is good, coffee is better. :-) Caffine!!!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers