Upgrading from a PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Upgrading from a PCX?

Post by Valiant »

I don't ride off road, would probably slip if there was gravel on the road, and the belt is a Daytona Kevlar belt. One might think there'd be a few nasty reviews of it if it caused problems.

I'm thinking it rubbed against the back case pretty bad and probably caused some sparking for quite some time(judging by the number of pits).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I've now seen your other thread with the pictures of the burnt up debris in the transmission case.
Looks like the typical clusterfuck which happens when people get seduced by the pish spoken by "performance" aficionados.
Nearly all "performance" parts for scooters are substandard junk.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:I've now seen your other thread with the pictures of the burnt up debris in the transmission case.
Looks like the typical clusterfuck which happens when people get seduced by the pish spoken by "performance" aficionados.
Shit never stops dribbling out of your mouth, keyboard warrior, mod antichrist with 0 modding experience..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Here's a fact for folks to consider: Its not my advice which trashed Valiant's scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:Here's a fact for folks to consider: Its not my advice which trashed Valiant's scooter.
It was a quality workmanship he contracted from the motorcycle shop!
But don't let that get in the way of your opportunistic "I Told You Sooo!!!"
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Valiant wrote:Eh, figured I'd go with a new CB300F and run it full stock(maybe aftermarket tires). Because then I'd know for sure I was the only one who could have screwed with it(and I won't).
NOW you've got it. Much smarter--except unless you'll be racing it, just keep the original tires until you wear them out.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Bash On! wrote:
Valiant wrote:Eh, figured I'd go with a new CB300F and run it full stock(maybe aftermarket tires). Because then I'd know for sure I was the only one who could have screwed with it(and I won't).
NOW you've got it. Much smarter--except unless you'll be racing it, just keep the original tires until you wear them out.
I might be racing it :D .

For the record, I would just say that I underestimated the need for reliability and basically shot myself in the foot there as this scooter is trickier to self-service than a standard motorcycle or 50cc gy6.

I don't think it's so much "substandard parts" as it was the extent to which I was screwing around with the transmission(where nearly every single piece was aftermarket).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I've now seen your other thread with the pictures of the burnt up debris in the transmission case.

Most aftermarket parts are barely useful at best, a joke at worst. Still it's fun trying.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Pcxdemon wrote:
Shit never stops dribbling out of your mouth, keyboard warrior, mod antichrist with 0 modding experience..

Rude. But then gn2 isn't the glorious 8bhp hero that you are....
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

gn2 wrote:Here's a fact for folks to consider: Its not my advice which trashed Valiant's scooter.
Nobody told him to do any of it. Just told him how and what could be expected. Project may have failed but I applaud the effort. Somebody has to poke their head outside the box once in while or we'll never learn anything.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

vamootsman wrote:
Nobody told him to do any of it. Just told him how and what could be expected. Project may have failed but I applaud the effort. Somebody has to poke their head outside the box once in while or we'll never learn anything.

Read back. You didn't need the Hubble telescope to see what would be the outcome. What an absolute prawn.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

vamootsman wrote:
In this case all Valiant has learned is to leave things unfuckedaboutwith.
Had he heeded my advice (in the only sticky in the Performance section about performance) he would have saved a shitload of cash and still have a fully working scooter.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
vamootsman wrote:
Had he heeded my advice (in the only sticky in the Performance section about performance) he would have saved a shitload of cash and still have a fully working scooter.

Not sure I agree. You should fiddle with things a bit. It's fun. You don't have to then put yourself into the holiest of holy crowds like pcxdemon but if you do fiddle don't do what valiant did who probably didn't have any resources. Mechanical or personal, despite the initial enthuasm
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:You should fiddle with things a bit. It's fun.
What can you possibly mean...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJHoZBJYxI
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

gn2 wrote:
vamootsman wrote:
In retrospect, it's probably best I learned about this with a $3449 MSRP maxi scooter as opposed to learning about this on a $6999 MSRP CTX700N no?

Well no, I suppose not. "Best" would've been to learn about this on a 50cc GY6, preferably used and abused.

Costly as it is, it was good to get this lesson across now rather than still have the idea if and when I moved up.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Valiant wrote:In retrospect, it's probably best I learned about this with a $3449 MSRP maxi scooter as opposed to learning about this on a $6999 MSRP CTX700N no?
I suppose yes in theory, but you'll struggle to find a forum where people advocate performance modifications for the CTX.

IMO you were lured in by false promises for your PCX.
Had you initially bought a CTX you almost certainly wouldn't have fucked around with it.

Site owner maddiedog is out $1000 for a top speed increase of around 6mph.
So you're in good company.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

gn2 wrote: I suppose yes in theory, but you'll struggle to find a forum where people advocate performance modifications for the CTX.

IMO you were lured in by false promises for your PCX.
Had you initially bought a CTX you almost certainly wouldn't have fucked around with it.

Site owner maddiedog is out $1000 for a top speed increase of around 6mph.
So you're in good company.
He did get it though right? ;)

Honestly, I did kind of know the risks I had going in. I was prepared to lose the PCX entirely(catastrophic failure) going in, so I can't say I wasn't aware of the risk.

I probably wouldn't have screwed with a CTX because it would have had adequate power going in. But then again, I probably wouldn't have my sights set on the CTX without some riding experience to begin with, and I likely wouldn't have started out on a 700cc.

Whatever my first bike was, I would have screwed with it.

P.S.
I resolved the issue by changing the belt. We'll see how long it lasts next time, as I likely won't have any time to sell this until Mid-July.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I also don't see any reason for complaints GN2.

I would think you'd want to have someone to point to and say:
"That's what happens when you screw with your bike."

I did appreciate the learning experience, as the second breakdown of the transmission I did today went liquid smooth and with no undue drama(yet). I'll still have to take her for a spin on the highway to see if anything will blow up or pop loose at 60+ mph. I'm already missing a nut on the trans case, and one of the screws worked its way loose from my airbox(I still have it though, but it looks like the threads are stripped from the plastic where it screws in). Could be interesting, and I'll have it recorded on my GoPro.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

This whole pissing match really cracks me up. I have more money wrapped up in performance add ons for my bicycles than any 10 members here have on their all of their PCX's combined, some good some head shakingly laughable now, and our customers love that we try things at our expense to see what works. OH, and just because I own the business, doesn't make it free! That's how we learn, and a lot of us learn at the expense of others because we/you don't have the stones to try it our/yourselves. Keep rock'n it Valiant. Never being completely satisfied is how we ended up with scooters that get 100mpg and can run 60 mph, cycles that do 200+mph, and Adventure bikes that can cross continents. I still want a 200cc PCX, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'll throw down for it if it looks remotely possible. If it fails,,,,,big F'n deal!!!!!! I still have a bike and car to ride! ( and I can get a new off the floor 13' for 2.5k).

Now build me a 3 gallon fuel tank for my PCX!
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

vamootsman wrote:This whole pissing match really cracks me up. I have more money wrapped up in performance add ons for my bicycles than any 10 members here have on their all of their PCX's combined, some good some head shakingly laughable now, and our customers love that we try things at our expense to see what works. OH, and just because I own the business, doesn't make it free! That's how we learn, and a lot of us learn at the expense of others because we/you don't have the stones to try it our/yourselves. Keep rock'n it Valiant. Never being completely satisfied is how we ended up with scooters that get 100mpg and can run 60 mph, cycles that do 200+mph, and Adventure bikes that can cross continents. I still want a 200cc PCX, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'll throw down for it if it looks remotely possible. If it fails,,,,,big F'n deal!!!!!! I still have a bike and car to ride! ( and I can get a new off the floor 13' for 2.5k).

Now build me a 3 gallon fuel tank for my PCX!
Well said!