2015 PCX150 US

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

alkiax

Re: 2015 PCX150 US

Post by alkiax »

I'm sure center stands are stable, but man they just dont look it to me.
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

alkiax wrote:I'm sure center stands are stable, but man they just dont look it to me.
Pfff... I think I can count the times I've used my side stand on one hand. I love the center stand.
alkiax

Post by alkiax »

Might have to give it a try after my extremely extended drive home.
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

alkiax wrote:Are the headlights always suppose to be on.
Thanks for sharing your joy! Look forward to MPG comparisons.
Not all states require daytime headlights for motorcycles. Oklahoma does. The ones that still don't I believe, unless it has changed very recently, are: Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, and Rhode Island. Some states are extremely vague about their requirement, and even what is termed a motorcycle - not all consider scooters to be such. Oregon's laws appear to have been written by that famous monkey on a typewriter....
By strict interpretation of California's laws, the PCX is not even legal on the interstate, but, L.E.O.s must acquiesce enforcement from what I have seen.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

JoshM wrote:
alkiax wrote:I'm sure center stands are stable, but man they just dont look it to me.
Pfff... I think I can count the times I've used my side stand on one hand. I love the center stand.
Yep, I was like that with my PCX till the centrestand broke off.
Its had two new owners since I traded it and still hasn't been fixed.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

gn2 wrote:
JoshM wrote: Yep, I was like that with my PCX till the centrestand broke off.
Was yours a pre-2013?
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Tribpreper wrote:
alkiax wrote:By strict interpretation of California's laws, the PCX is not even legal on the interstate, but, L.E.O.s must acquiesce enforcement from what I have seen.
I've been told they are legal on the freeways here. The requirement used to be higher but was lowered to 150cc at one time. Is there something else in the law that you are seeing to think that they are not allowed?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycl ... ration.htm
From CHP:
What is a motorcycle?
A motorcycle is a vehicle whose motor displaces more than 150 cubic centimeters and has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider. It is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and weighs less than 1,500 pounds.
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

Duggle wrote:
Tribpreper wrote:
alkiax wrote:By strict interpretation of California's laws, the PCX is not even legal on the interstate, but, L.E.O.s must acquiesce enforcement from what I have seen.
I've been told they are legal on the freeways here. The requirement used to be higher but was lowered to 150cc at one time. Is there something else in the law that you are seeing to think that they are not allowed?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycl ... ration.htm
From CHP:
What is a motorcycle?
A motorcycle is a vehicle whose motor displaces more than 150 cubic centimeters and has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider. It is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and weighs less than 1,500 pounds.
Good question. I noted "strict interpretation" because in order for the PCX to be interstate legal, it must be able to achieve the posted speed limit. Carrying two people, which the PCX is designed for, it has no hope of maintaining the 70MPPH minimum.
Therefore, the PCX on paper may be legal, but "strictly interpreted" in actual use, might not be.
When in CA on business recently, I saw Kymcos and Vespas that are legal on paper, but in practice clearly were not.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Just signed the papers and wrote a check for my PCX today, still needs to be put together and have the alarm installed.

Holy crap them fees O_O

MSRP - $3,449
OTD Price(w/ 3-year extended warranty, 4 yr total) - $5,358.37

Still needed to purchase insurance, another $314.20 tacked on top >_<

And of course, another $263 for installation of my alarm unit.

Think I could've afforded a Forza 300 w/ ABS at that price :D . I'm damn glad I didn't buy that like I originally wanted to.
alkiax

Post by alkiax »

Wow. I got alot luckier than I thought not having to pay those fees. On a different note My new pcx says I'm averaging 109mpg.
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

Valiant,
Your price is probably due to living in Hawaii. Most items are more expensive in HI than domestically. I'm sure the same goes for cars/bikes.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

JoshM wrote:
gn2 wrote:
JoshM wrote: Yep, I was like that with my PCX till the centrestand broke off.
Was yours a pre-2013?
Yeah, he had a first gen that were prone to breaking.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Happy for you, Valiant....but, Whoa! Jumping Jack Flash....big bucks!! I'm pretty sure Josh is right. Oh well, whatever. Kiss it off. You'll soon have the sexiest PCX so far and this expenditure will be a thing of the past. Just wait till you get it & ride it! "That's the Power of Love!" 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's a question for all 2014/2015 PCX owners.....

:? What's in yer underseat tool pouch? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I find it disconcerting that different states have different definitions of motorcycles, which also would mean different requirements for riding them. I have had a motorcycle license since I was 17, and I have lived in many states. At some point things changed I guess, so now it worries me that I may move again only to find that neither my pcx 150 nor my motorcycle license are legal on the roads in that state. We bought the pcx 150 because it was advertised as California freeway legal. California has some strict requirements for almost everything, so our thought was if it is freeway legal there, it should be legal almost everywhere in the United States. We have been enjoying riding it, on occasion, on the freeways here in Georgia. However, some of our kids are urging us to move out to Washington State to be near them. Now I worry that we won't be allowed to ride them there. After 50 years of riding I have downsized my ride so that I can continue with less effort.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

Mel,
I have done extensive research on this matter, and, everything I can find shows the PCX150 to be legal in all 50 states for riding on the Interstate. Honda has cleverly sized the vehicle to comply with: minimum wheel size, passenger pegs, weight, headlight, horsepower, and top speed. But....barely, if at all, on some of those criteria - depending upon state.
Some might say the Feds should create the standards. But such a notion is foolish. For every state has it's own unique: roads, conditions, weather, terrain, etc. One can not reasonably expect laws in Florida to work for Oregon, et al.
Move to Washington and share your accumulated wisdom with your kids - trust me, they need all the wisdom they can get on the Left coast! :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Trib ... could you direct me to a link that would indicate the minimum requirement for New York. I had heard the it was 250cc which the PCX does not meet. Are you aware of other information contrary to that?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/other-types.php
http://www.bikernation.net/motorcyclela ... New%20York
These Vespa folks did a search a few years back I remember, and concluded that for Interstate riding most states default to the 150cc federal minimum.
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic76747

I think I know where that "250cc New York minimum" rumor came from: Some years back a licensing law was proposed that required a rider to use a 250cc minimum engine size for the state test. I have no idea if it passed and don't care to look it up because if you take your test through the MSF, they don't have that requirement.

State laws change constantly and keeping track is nearly impossible. I have seen officers incorrectly quote the law several times.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Great links, thanks!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I want the lime green one to match the hubby's bike. Or the purple.