How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by tbln930 »

Well if it helps any - we were 73 F (23) yesterday but only got to 68 (20) today. ;) I just did a short 40 mile ride vs 151 yesterday. :P
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Steph wrote:A little over 200 lbs heaver the the PXC. it's a real motorcycle classified as a medium size sport cruiser. Only took a very sort ride so far. My first impression was much more power and heaver. o_O Due to it's low center of gravity, Once I get use to it, I should be good to go.

The DCT transmission is unlike the CVT transmission. Dont yank the throttle up and down since this will cause unnecessary shifting.
I figured the centre of gravity should be higher with the higher fuel tank. I know my CBR 125R is awkward to maneuver around compared to my BWS.
tbln930 wrote:Can you imagine a 900 lb Harley and just moving it around in the garage? o_O My Forza with the top case loaded is near 450 lb and I think 400-550 lb area is just about perfect for medium touring mix I see. It's still light enough for slow curvy hilly roads yet does fine on the interstates. I have a lot of miles on a Harley Sportster that was pushing 650 lbs and even it is starting to be a bridge too far when you get on some of our curves IMO not to mention uncomfortable with the stock seat. After a while I dreaded climbing on that thing.
900lb?! That's like half my first car, an 86 Honda Civic. I guess the Gold Wing is up there too at 800lb. Still, dang. Not something I want to push around in the garage or parkade on a daily basis.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dkazzed wrote:
Steph wrote:A little over 200 lbs heaver the the PXC. it's a real motorcycle classified as a medium size sport cruiser. Only took a very sort ride so far. My first impression was much more power and heaver. o_O Due to it's low center of gravity, Once I get use to it, I should be good to go.

The DCT transmission is unlike the CVT transmission. Dont yank the throttle up and down since this will cause unnecessary shifting.
I figured the centre of gravity should be higher with the higher fuel tank. I know my CBR 125R is awkward to maneuver around compared to my BWS.
tbln930 wrote:Can you imagine a 900 lb Harley and just moving it around in the garage? o_O My Forza with the top case loaded is near 450 lb and I think 400-550 lb area is just about perfect for medium touring mix I see. It's still light enough for slow curvy hilly roads yet does fine on the interstates. I have a lot of miles on a Harley Sportster that was pushing 650 lbs and even it is starting to be a bridge too far when you get on some of our curves IMO not to mention uncomfortable with the stock seat. After a while I dreaded climbing on that thing.
900lb?! That's like half my first car, an 86 Honda Civic. I guess the Gold Wing is up there too at 800lb. Still, dang. Not something I want to push around in the garage or parkade on a daily basis.
Safety feature. They do it so you are unable to push it over a cliff
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

6c, raining and 20miles on unloved roads to dealership :D
aka DrewJW
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

you you wrote:Safety feature. They do it so you are unable to push it over a cliff
Good call. If I owned a Harley, I'd want to push one off the cliff. So they designed it so the captain must go down with the ship.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just did a 35 mile lunch ride. 72 F here. :P
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

For me, an automatic is for convenience, and I'd definitely want one for stop-and-go traffic (either for a bike or a car).

However, part of the essential thrill of motorcycling for me is the skill needed to coordinate throttle, clutch, and gear shifter and the control mastering all that provides.

What a joy it is to fire up the now 44-year old BMW and snick its transmission into first gear. Or quickly downshifting the Kawi for a burst of speed, hearing the engine wind out. If you haven't ridden a non-automatic bike, you're missing a one-of-a-kind experience, IMHO.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Forza208
Year: 2014 Forza

Post by Forza208 »

As I recall, the coldest I have ridden in was about 34-35 degrees. Even a few miles of that was enough to convince me that I need better gear if I'm going to do any serious winter riding.
Owner of a red 2014 Honda Forza
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." — Oscar Wilde
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Bash On! wrote:For me, an automatic is for convenience, and I'd definitely want one for stop-and-go traffic (either for a bike or a car).

However, part of the essential thrill of motorcycling for me is the skill needed to coordinate throttle, clutch, and gear shifter and the control mastering all that provides.

What a joy it is to fire up the now 44-year old BMW and snick its transmission into first gear. Or quickly downshifting the Kawi for a burst of speed, hearing the engine wind out. If you haven't ridden a non-automatic bike, you're missing a one-of-a-kind experience, IMHO.
The convenience. Ease of riding. The simple fun factor. Now I'm having a blast on my CBR 125R and most of it comes from trying to master the art of riding a manual since I've already quite competent with driving a manual. I have my BWS for sale just to get maximize resale value as people start thinking of two wheel transportation. But part of me wants to get an inexpensive 125cc+ scooter again for winter riding maybe in the fall when people are looking to off load their two wheel machines, and part of me wants to keep the BWS. There's a simple joy about it I just don't get from riding a motorcycle.

With that said, the motorcycle is very fun in other ways and every day I'm looking forward to my commute on it.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

6F again this morning. My area was once covered by a 3km glacier for millennia during the last ice age. Imagine what would happen to all of the major cities above 40* North Latitude around the world if we had another.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

This morning it was 18 F. Still too cold to be learning to ride my new bike. Installed rear rack to mount my new dry bag on today. Was at 40 F. When I started. 36 when I finished. Burr!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

It better not get too cold again here the flowers and leaves are starting to come out. Based on the wild onions getting tall I will be cutting grass within two weeks.

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Hoping it will be over a month until we have to cut grass! Do want it to warm up though.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I changed the oil and filter on the John Deere tractor yesterday and trimmed the shrubs around the house. Our grass is a deep green now between the rain, sun, and warm temps. I prefer it on the cooler side.

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Still got little piles of snow at my work that use to be mountains. Got up to 50 F. Today windy as all get out. Not a sign of spring yet other then the Robbins.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Tornadoes in the mid west already.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

We have actually set a record so far for fewer tornados so far. So much for climate change. They have been predicting just the opposite incorrectly for years. I am growing weary of the misinformation.

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

I'm neither pro nor anti climate change. I think we should do our part to be better for the environment including using fuel efficient vehicles when feasible which all of us on this forum are doing, but I think a lot of weather phenomenons whether they support or rebut human induced climate change are completely anecdotal.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I agree on doing our part. I have a good friend that is a scientist currently working at CERN. He is a part of a group opposing climate change being man-made and so I am a bit bias on the subject. They claim the data was adjusted so most of the studies and conclusions are just wrong. They also study solar changes occurring on all of the planets and there is a general trend occurring unrelated to what we do. Anyway, they are convinced it is being politically manipulated for some other agenda. I will stop here so as not to go into a discussion of politics. :)

Cool and rainy here today but a warm-up over the weekend. :x

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

And I'm agnostic, if we want to go down that route as well. :lol:

Slap on a good rain suit and go for a ride. :) It was dry for my commute home last night with 16C/61F temperatures. My textile jacket was almost too warm even at freeway speeds, although the winter liner is still in.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS