Yamaha SMAX vs. PCX 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Yamaha SMAX vs. PCX 150

Post by grndslm »

I feel like the Burgman 200 should be considered, but I haven't actually sat on it yet.

There are a lot of other smaller bikes that I want to go check out at the Suzuki dealership... Kymco K-Pipe, Kymco Spade, Suzuki VanVan 200, Burgman, etc.

That 150cc Spade is listed for $2,500!! Don't think the K-Pipe is at my dealership, but seems weird to have "semiautomatic" shifting.

Wondering how CVT tinkered PCX150 (80 mph?) really compares to Smax....
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Wet Weights
==========

Grom 125 = 229~234 lbs
Monkey 125 = 235 lbs
K-Pipe 125 = 265 lbs
Spade 150 = 266 lbs
VanVan 200 = 282 lbs
PCX 150 = 289 lbs
Smax 155 = 328 lbs
Burgman 200 = 355 lbs

I read that a reviewer stated there was a noticeable difference between the Smax and the Burgman. The Smax was one of the little guys that felt like he was excited to get in the club of driving on the Interstate; and the Burgman just felt like it belonged. Sometimes it is nice on a windy day to have a tad heavier bike....

Love the riding position on my PCX, tho. With feet propped up on the forward footrest or flat on the footboard... super comfortable. And I've actually grown accustom to the older 2013 seat hump. Seems like it's not really as "restrictive" as far as seats that other manufacturers have designed. Why doesn't the PCX come with lighter rollers, better CVT gear??? Makes no sense.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

the burghman 200 is a nice bike but at 5 grand you might as well spend 500 more and get a 300 cc x max suzuki might be better off offering a burghman 300 for 5500
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Went by a couple dealerships, and here are some discoveries for me...

- The Burgman 200 is actually too monstrous. The 400 was just redesigned and seems much smaller, thinner than the 200. I imagine a redesign of the 200 will be coming up in the next year or two.

- The PCX was only in stock at one Honda dealership. The Smax wasn't in stock at either dealership, so I still haven't gotten to see it in the past year or so. The VanVan wasn't in stock either, but I doubt I'd really pay extra to buy it over the Spade.

- The Honda Monkey's suspension was way too soft and doesn't offer a seat for a passenger. The Grom's suspension is much nicer.

- I wish I could've seen the Kymco K-Pipe, even tho I'm fairly certain I wouldn't buy it just because it doesn't have fuel injection. But the Kymco Spade looked pretty appealing to me.

..... I might be looking into purchasing a Spade for fun. Love the UJM seat, super comfortable.... and the suspension is nice and tight! 150cc is plenty enough, obviously and can easily go interstate speeds with a little change in gearing, similar to our beloved PCX. Wish I could test drive it first, but I'm sure I'd love it.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Went by a couple dealerships, and here are some discoveries for me...
From what I've seen of the new 2019 Burgman 400 design it seems more like the XMax or Forza 300. The general features are very similar except, IMHO, the under seat storage area. The access for putting larger stuff in there (in one piece) seems less likely than in the more open XMax or Forza. Although, one video I saw showed two helmets in there . . . I think one of them wasn't a FF though. It looked like they had to be placed in like you were loading a kayak or something. At a curb weight of 474 lbs. it's heavy also. :roll:

The Suzuki is indeed a nice machine but when you can get an XMax 300 for under $6K plus any fees or taxes it seems it will lose sales to budget minded consumers.

Pluse if/when the Forza 300 becomes available in the U.S. it will just add more competition in an already limited market. :geek:
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

The Burgman 200 is the cheapest feeling scooter for 5k msrp I have ever seen. Completely cheap plastics everywhere on the dash. For 600 more bucks you could get a 1st class Forza or Xmax. A bomb by Suzuki.
:geek: