Honda vs Givi Accessories

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Honda vs Givi Accessories

Post by dustin91 »

Wes, that is great advice, obviously from someone who knows! So I have the B33 Monolock Givi, which does state a 7-pound max (roughly). Is that more for the top box itself, or for the plate that attaches to the scooter? I know I've loaded 10 pounds in it a few time with no issue, and honestly unless I'm carrying a bowling ball (and I don't), there just isn't much room to add up a lot of heavy bulk. But I wasn't sure if the weight max is for the case itself to avoid breaking, or for the attachment plate. Thanks!
GenuineHondaWes

Post by GenuineHondaWes »

Hey dustin91, the B33 is an interesting topbox-it's the cross-over model from the monolock (commuting) to the monokey (touring) range- same box, but different plates.

And it's the plates that the weight limit is mostly in relation to. Most monolocks are a single-wall thickness on the case and have some flex, hence if you were to be motoring along at some pace, throwing the bike round corners with a heavy load in and the box broke; that 3kg weight limit is to indemnify the manufacturer against warrenty claims etc.

Your B33 is double-walled, as all the monokey boxes are. It would be fine with a higher weight, but because the plate is a monokey, they keep to the 3kg limit.

Hope that's helped some, maybe a touch long winded :)
01524 60011
weshall@northwest-honda.co.uk
www.northwest-honda.co.uk
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Helps completely – I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I'm commuting with my laptop in there... although it is 5 years old, and a little damage might get me a new one :lol: . Thanks Wes!