PCX 150 v. Elite 110

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: PCX 150 v. Elite 110

Post by Old Grinner »

Looks like I can add a sidestand to the Elite if I want - apparently it's an option overseas so it already has holes in the frame for mounting a sidestand. So maybe that explains why it has a rear brake lock?
I did see some advertised but upon further examination the reviews were mixed. Some consumers felt the fasteners they received were the wrong size. . .usually too short. Some folks either just bought new fasteners themselves at a local hardware store and successfully installed the side stand and some folks were fortunate enough to have the company send them new ones that fit right away. That said the postings were somewhat ancient so I'm not sure if the one I saw listed on Amazon is even currently available. Ebay had a listing also but again you have to do your homework. Buzzetti made them for the Lead and I guess Elite as well but one post I read claimed it had to be modified. Advrider had a thread about it. https://advrider.com/f/threads/trying-t ... d.1286882/

Good luck finding one. . .. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

One other thing I just thought of and felt was important to mention is that the PCX (and my Zuma as well) have those cut out switches to turn off the engine if it is running when you put the side stand down. Alternately the engine won't start until you either put the scooter on the center stand or just return the side stand to the stowed position while sitting on it.

So if you put a side stand on the Elite 110 you would have to make sure not to let it run while on the side stand. But you already knew that I'm sure. . .. ;)

As we all who ride scooters know a rear wheel will sometimes spin if the engine revs get to a point the clutch engages thus causing the scooter to keel over.

That said, not all scooters manufactured today have that ignition shut off feature on side stands. Having the scooter on the center stand is always best while the engine is running. :geek:
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:One other thing I just thought of and felt was important to mention is that the PCX (and my Zuma as well) have those cut out switches to turn off the engine if it is running when you put the side stand down. Alternately the engine won't start until you either put the scooter on the center stand or just return the side stand to the stowed position while sitting on it.

So if you put a side stand on the Elite 110 you would have to make sure not to let it run while on the side stand. But you already knew that I'm sure. . .. ;)

As we all who ride scooters know a rear wheel will sometimes spin if the engine revs get to a point the clutch engages thus causing the scooter to keel over.

That said, not all scooters manufactured today have that ignition shut off feature on side stands. Having the scooter on the center stand is always best while the engine is running. :geek:
Yes I’m aware of that issue OG but I do appreciate the warning. I remember that happening to me a couple times on my PCX and now my VFR - feeling like a dumbass when my engine cuts off when I put it in 1st gear to take off cuz I forgot to put the side stand up :D The Elite is so light and easy to put on the center stand that I may not bother - but it would be a bit quicker to just pull up someplace and flick a side stand down. This might be why Honda didn’t include the sidestand on the USA version of the Elite 110 - concerns about liability if it didn’t have the engine cutoff feature to go with it.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Just got back from a trip to the tag office with a stopover at Huey Magoo’s for lunch. “Nero” the scooter is now fully road legal - LOL. The only tag office in my county open on a Saturday is 14 miles from my house so I was able to take Nero for his first fairly long ride. This thing is a hoot to ride and a filtering beast! :D I had no trouble leaving cars in my wake upon takeoff at lights and since the speed limit was 45 I only got passed once (my speed topped out at about 51-52 indicated mph). The one guy who passed me was in an Audi S type coupe and I couldn’t help but smile as I filtered right past him and a dozen other cars at the next light. Nero also looked right at home parked on the sidewalk at Huey Magoo’s where he was ogled over by a little league baseball team and a pedal biker gang of middle aged men - LOL. Here’s some pics from today:
Attachments
9BD2E243-656C-43C6-9B82-D4D8ED46EB40.jpeg
9BD2E243-656C-43C6-9B82-D4D8ED46EB40.jpeg (121.35 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
C0A6FAD8-C25D-406C-9035-76567A743DBA.jpeg
C0A6FAD8-C25D-406C-9035-76567A743DBA.jpeg (151.63 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
4148E7DC-3AAB-4C61-B707-2A7869285F9B.jpeg
4148E7DC-3AAB-4C61-B707-2A7869285F9B.jpeg (141.86 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

That Elite 110 is indeed a nice looking scoot.

Don't worry about the top speed. . .50 is plenty. . .if you want faster you've got the VFR. 8)

In reality I find most of my riding is under 50 anyways so at the end of the day the good times roll on and the errands get done. The upside to living in the Sunshine State is you don't have to worry about salt on the roads during the Winter! ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GatorGreg wrote:Just got back from a trip to the tag office with a stopover at Huey Magoo’s for lunch. “Nero” the scooter is now fully road legal - LOL. The only tag office in my county open on a Saturday is 14 miles from my house so I was able to take Nero for his first fairly long ride. This thing is a hoot to ride and a filtering beast! :D I had no trouble leaving cars in my wake upon takeoff at lights and since the speed limit was 45 I only got passed once (my speed topped out at about 51-52 indicated mph). The one guy who passed me was in an Audi S type coupe and I couldn’t help but smile as I filtered right past him and a dozen other cars at the next light. Nero also looked right at home parked on the sidewalk at Huey Magoo’s where he was ogled over by a little league baseball team and a pedal biker gang of middle aged men - LOL. Here’s some pics from today:

S type? Did you mean S line?
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

you you wrote:
GatorGreg wrote:Just got back from a trip to the tag office with a stopover at Huey Magoo’s for lunch. “Nero” the scooter is now fully road legal - LOL. The only tag office in my county open on a Saturday is 14 miles from my house so I was able to take Nero for his first fairly long ride. This thing is a hoot to ride and a filtering beast! :D I had no trouble leaving cars in my wake upon takeoff at lights and since the speed limit was 45 I only got passed once (my speed topped out at about 51-52 indicated mph). The one guy who passed me was in an Audi S type coupe and I couldn’t help but smile as I filtered right past him and a dozen other cars at the next light. Nero also looked right at home parked on the sidewalk at Huey Magoo’s where he was ogled over by a little league baseball team and a pedal biker gang of middle aged men - LOL. Here’s some pics from today:

It was an S5:

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-s5- ... lsrc=aw.ds
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GatorGreg wrote:
you you wrote:

It was an S5:

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-s5- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Ooh. I’ve never noticed these before.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

So I took my VFR out for an afternoon blast today for only the second time since I got my Elite 110 and it felt like I was riding an angry white rhino! I had gotten so used to being able to just pin the throttle back 100% on the scooter that I had to quickly relearn to control my right wrist - LOL. It’s kind of scary how powerful the VFR is - like riding a rocket ship in comparison.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

So I took my VFR out for an afternoon blast today for only the second time since I got my Elite 110 and it felt like I was riding an angry white rhino! I had gotten so used to being able to just pin the throttle back 100% on the scooter that I had to quickly relearn to control my right wrist - LOL. It’s kind of scary how powerful the VFR is - like riding a rocket ship in comparison.
Precisely! ;)

Same here. . .. :D

I've got to totally rethink what I'm doing when I get on my Suzuki. Just the slightest twist of the wrist and it takes off like an unruly race horse chomping at the bit to escape the starting gate. Cheap amusement but nevertheless does get ones attention here and now. :o

These days about 90% of my riding is on my scooter. I yearn for the day they release the Forza 300 to the U.S.. When that happens I think it will be time to say farewell to my motorcycles and keep the Zuma as a stable mate for the Forza for around town and forest roads. The upside is it doesn't look like we will have the new Forza 300 on these shores anytime soon so I still have time to save up! :lol:
P1010074a.jpg
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Old Grinner wrote: I yearn for the day they release the Forza 300 to the U.S.. When that happens I think it will be time to say farewell to my motorcycles
I'm beginning to think the same way. Much as I adore my ZRX, it's only been on the road once since I got my Forza. I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet though. The Kawasaki is just such a brilliant bike, one of my all time favourites, and will be hard to replace without spending big bucks. However, apart from the phenomenal power, the Forza does most things that I need from two wheels, and is a much better package for distance work. I ride the Honda within it's capabilities and savour every moment.

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The Kawasaki is just such a brilliant bike, one of my all time favourites, and will be hard to replace without spending big bucks.
First off . . . That's a fine Kaw. Looks well maintained and ready for the road. :D

Secondly . . . It really is a dilemma . . .. :roll:

And to add to it . . . at least in my case . . . I've already bought a few oil filters, sundry gaskets/orings, and other stuff for maintenance on both my KLR and Suzuki to have on hand. Now that the weather has shifted, and rather abruptly, to cooler temps at least I can replace the stator in my KLR. It does run fine but the battery drains due to charging issues that cropped up over the Summer.

One other thing is that, at least here in the U.S., I've got to deal with the relatively short shelf life of ethanol gasoline. If I don't ride the bikes and run tankfuls through in a timely manner it could result in fuel phasing related problems. I do use the StarTron fuel treatment but still the bikes were meant to be ridden. 8)

There's only so much time in the day and between all the chores and home maintenance things that need to be tended to whatever time is left is at a premium. Having two scooters is manageable and that's my goal. Having had 4 machines up until earlier this year was just too much. :(

And one last major influence on my decision to change my riding habits has been the quality and quantity of traffic. . .especially on the Interstate Highways. I find I no longer desire to do extended long range sport touring adventures on busy highways competing with space for traffic that is dense, distracted, and traveling at 80 MPH. I'm so glad that I did get the "adventure miles" in along the way (back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's) and didn't wait until now when I'm retired. I'd be very disappointed. :D

Lastly, riding is like an addiction, at least for me. I need to satisfy it but in a way that is a better fit for these times around my locale. There is something to be said for "less is more". :geek:
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Nice bikes Oldie and Old Grinner! (BTW - is every body here old? LOL). I hear you on the new Forza 300, I would be very tempted to trade my VFR for one if they make it to the states. I’m to the point where I feel I’ve had my fun and think maybe I should quit while I’m ahead since I’ve yet to have an accident. I don’t ride it that much anymore - I pick my vert over my VFR about 95% of the time since I can enjoy a/c and heated seats with the top down, cup holders, great stereo, trunk space, etc, plus the ladies much prefer my vert. I might feel silly though taking a Forza to the bikini wash on bike night :D

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Nice bikes Oldie and Old Grinner! (BTW - is every body here old? LOL). I hear you on the new Forza 300, I would be very tempted to trade my VFR for one if they make it to the states. I’m to the point where I feel I’ve had my fun and think maybe I should quit while I’m ahead since I’ve yet to have an accident. I don’t ride it that much anymore - I pick my vert over my VFR about 95% of the time since I can enjoy a/c and heated seats with the top down, cup holders, great stereo, trunk space, etc, plus the ladies much prefer my vert. I might feel silly though taking a Forza to the bikini wash on bike night :D
Thanks for sharing. . .. 8)

Looks like your VFR got the first class treatment! :D
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I have an Elite 110 since 2013 and just purchased a 2018 PCX 150.
I put 25000 miles on the Elite, and it is an amazing scooter. Only thing broke was the belt at around 13K miles. My fault, it was original, dry and old and i just wanted to use it up till it breaks. It happened in Death Valley so I had a bit of a walk as i couldn't undo the variator nut on the side of the road to put a new belt on.

PCX is meant to go further and a bit faster. Elite is a slow dog when loaded and going uphill. Of course around town, there is nothing to match the Elite's utility.

There is a guy (Dabinche) who put 75000 miles on his Elite but he had used it rough, abused and replaced a lot of parts until he figured out his overheating was caused by a blown head gasket.

To me, Elite is more comfortable so far, it is more nimble and easier to maneuver. It is a little lower and the headlight on the Elite is better than the PCX's led, which I was disappointment. Elite's headlight is a 55/60W automotive H4 bulb and lights up the road amazingly.

I only rode PCX one time at night and the low beam was too close (i will try to adjust it) but Elite also illuminates the sides of the road a whole lot better, it seems. Anyway, Elite 110 is I think one of the most amazing scooters ever made. I've ridden it cross country with a passenger and 120 lbs of gear and it did well. All thanks to fuel injection and liquid cooling, coupled by Honda's great design and reliability.
Attachments
20181128_041006.jpg
20181128_041006.jpg (381.11 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Oh, this is just a few examples of how utilitarian the Elite is, something the PCX can't do quiet as easily. The rack on the PCX is brilliant and quite strong!
Attachments
IMG_5185.JPG
IMG_5185.JPG (440.26 KiB) Viewed 920 times
20171123_231833.jpg
20171123_231833.jpg (155.29 KiB) Viewed 920 times
20180714_205007.jpg
20180714_205007.jpg (414.17 KiB) Viewed 920 times