Warranty "service requirements" in the UK?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Warranty "service requirements" in the UK?

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Ive got a Subaru and the dealer said I could use the nearby Toyota garage for servicing. The only thing is that I wouldnt be "on the system" but they would rectify that if I emailed them the invoice with the work done on
Which is what you might expect given that your Subaru falls within the relevant definition of a motor vehicle.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It comes down to taking a chance - a very small percentage of PCX owners have had major issues, such as seized engines, cam belt brakes, etc, but a good majority, I would say approaching %100 have very few major issues, so, pay for dealer servicing over 2 years and be £1000 worse off over that time, or save the money, do servicing yourself, and save over 3rd the cost of a new bike.
I really do need to change the air filter, plug, belt, etc, but in 4 years of riding all year round, even cold, wet winters, I've so far changed the oil three times, front pads once, rear tyre once, and nothing else - still on original air filter, plugs, belt, and no valve checks. I've now done 15,000 miles and the bike starts 1st time, every time, and runs like a dream still giving 120-130mpg in the winter period and 130-140mpg now in summer.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

£1000 worse off?
Sounds a bit much.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The Block Exemption Regulation is an exemption in a business line or industry,

(g)
‘motor vehicle’ means a self-propelled vehicle intended for use on public roads and having three or more road wheels;

However, Doesn't use the word Motor vehicle in the original language,, uses the word vehicle which can be defined as a cart ..
Tricky scenario, however I think it boils down to the nature of the defect and if evidence of proper servicing is provided, HONDA would have a difficult time denying a claim especially if it came to legal interpretation and the intent of the regulation. Also could a scooter be considered an industry or business line? Curious ??? Good luck boys !
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:Ive got a Subaru and the dealer said I could use the nearby Toyota garage for servicing. The only thing is that I wouldnt be "on the system" but they would rectify that if I emailed them the invoice with the work done on
Which is what you might expect given that your Subaru falls within the relevant definition of a motor vehicle.
Were"nt we talking about motor vehicles?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

gn2 wrote:£1000 worse off? Sounds a bit much.
Summing up the five quotes for the 2yr services, which I found out did not include green disposal + vat, so around 750-800 + bits + vat. It varies from area to area, but in London the servicing starts around £80 and latter ones are £200 without vat. Quote was from HGB 4 years ago when I bought the bike.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

An interesting opinion piece, which confuses the issue of warranty claims with where you should get servicing done within a warranty period.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Honda say yeahbut, nobut....

The warranty we offer with our Honda vehicles is subject to regular servicing according to the maintenance schedule which can be found in your service book. We recommend that any repairs and services are done within our Honda dealership network because our technicians have been trained how to maintain Honda vehicles. They follow specific procedures and use only Honda genuine parts in order to ensure that the motorcycle will continue working properly and no issues will arise in the future.

It is not advisable to have an independent dealership take care of the motorcycle. This is mainly because there is no way for us to know whether the procedures established by Honda have been followed and Honda genuine parts have been used. Therefore, if you would like to keep the warranty of you Honda motorcycle intact, you need to have it serviced by one of our dealers. After they have worked on the motorcycle they keep records within our Honda service history system and by checking those records we can confirm that the warranty of a vehicle is still valid.

So they're suggesting that don't have to, then use this to conclude that you do. Enough deliberate ambiguity to be able to say that they don't insist, but enough to allow them to potentially make it difficult for you if you try to make a claim.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

"if you would like to keep the warranty of you Honda motorcycle intact, you need to have it serviced by one of our dealers."

Seems pretty clear cut and unambiguous to me.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

gn2 wrote:"if you would like to keep the warranty of you Honda motorcycle intact, you need to have it serviced by one of our dealers."

Seems pretty clear cut and unambiguous to me.
No, it doesn't.You've decided what you're looking for, and have ignored the rest of the post, so there's little point in you continuing with the discussion. I'd prefer to stay open-minded.

To add the the useful discussion otherwise, f you actually read what they're saying, they're anticipating a challenge. They're "worried" that a non-Honda mechanic won't follow their service schedule or use the right parts. They then anticipate the response that the mechanic has followed the schedule and used the right parts, with a "how can we be sure" response.

It looks pretty strongly like they know they don't have much of a defence to any challenge, so it's interesting to see them then go on to say that you "need" to have it serviced by them. That's clearly their view based on the concerns they've already outlined, and nothing else.

As I've already said, Kawasaki don't insist you use them for servicing. I haven't got the time to ask the other big brands, but it looks like Honda know they're on dodgy ground insisting on their servicing and that's why their response is scrappy and ambiguous.

The NCS do hold some power, and Honda know this.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote:The NCS do hold some power, and Honda know this.
NCS?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote: it looks like Honda know they're on dodgy ground insisting on their servicing and that's why their response is scrappy and ambiguous.
You may think so, but I think you're clutching at straws.
The wording you referenced looks clear cut to me.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

In a court of law..HONDA loses. ! The intent of the regulation is to allow competition in any industry and allow others to perform maintenance work so long as it is verified or documented with receipts and /or endorsed and backed by valid records... It boils down to the defect at hand but HONDA would be foolish to contest this regulation in court and deny a warranty over an obvious factory defect.. For them to even phone call a defense attorney would cost more than affecting the repairs in the first place.. Its just plain stupid to deny a claim providing proper maintenance is documented.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

But the legislation doesn't apply to motorcycles.
How many times?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

The Block Exemption Regulation is an exemption in a business line or industry, which debars organizations in the industry from some business activities in order to create competition.
The regulation blankets all industries /or business lines.. Clearly motorcycles are a business line or enterprise. They site and use motor vehicle only as an example where the regulation is most likely applied however the intent is for all vehicles which can be as simple as a cart. Lets discuss best logic for a moment. Why would this legislation take the time to only target cars or trikes and purposely exclude motorcycles and scooters .. its clearly intended to include other similar modes of transportation wouldn't you think.
You are correct in the term they define as motor vehicle being a 3 or 4 wheeled vehicle. But the regulation uses language and refers also to vehicles which can be defined as a cart which has two wheels.. Sooo its a play on words but it is more important to look at the intent of the regulation which is to allow others to do maintenance without fear of voiding any warranty providing the terms of the maintenance requirements are met. HONDA does prefer using their network for documentation purposes in their system (computer), but one can do the work providing proper documentation and recordkeeping measures are performed for their verification.I also think any further discussion of this matter would best be resolved by a court.
Interesting debate and certainly can be of concern to many on this forum.. I personally would not be afraid to use outside service , but each should govern themselves accordingly.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Honda confirm that they do not insist on Honda servicing....

Thank you for the reply.

We do not have any established terms and conditions or rules saying that if you service your car with an independent dealer this will mandatory void your warranty.

We do not oblige our customers to service their cars at Honda dealers, but defanetely we recommend this, because as mentioned in my previous e-mail we can guarantee only for Honda dealers that they

follow specific procedures established by Honda and use only Honda genuine parts in order to ensure that the motorcycle will continue working properly and no issues will arise in the future. Hence in case if the car develops an issue due to a non proper servicing of the motorcycle this will void the warranty.

Thank you for contacting Honda. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Ivaneta Uzunova
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Refers to cars, therefore of no consequence to the discussion because the law for cars is different.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:its clearly intended to include other similar modes of transportation wouldn't you think.
You might think, but you would be wrong.
An attempt was previously made to have motorcycles included but it was rejected.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

An attempt was previously made to have motorcycles included but it was rejected.

Logic notwithstanding.. I suppose too many drugs in use :roll:
I would love to see that argument LOL.. I however do not see where in the language that motorcycles are excluded, furthermore the language uses vehicle and motor vehicle in which both are defined differently.. ??
Honda would be stupid to contest this in court..They would lose !