Broken down :(

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

luciddream2
Year: 2013
Color: RED

Re: Broken down :(

Post by luciddream2 »

Always a little scary when this happens. Glad you didn't have an accident at least. I recently had this happen on my 2012 Piaggio Fly 150 with 3,100 miles on the scooter. It still had the original belt. I thought I was good for a few thousand more because the recommended belt change is 6000 miles I believe. I'm wondering if it was just because the scooter is 7 years old? I did the job myself. Major pain in the butt to get the belt cover on and off that scooter. My 2013 PCX has about 1,500 miles on it. Do you guys think I should change the belt on it too? I didn't think I would have to do that for a few years yet.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

How old is the belt on your 2013 PCX? Same one from the factory? At least inspect it for cracks and wear.

I trust my belt, but my bike has not been sitting unused for any great length of time. I try to exercise both bikes just to make sure they don't get cobwebs from lack of use.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Just going to post seperately about my work on a noisy clutch bearing, and at 19,000 miles my original belt still looks fine - no marks, cracks or such on any surface.
luciddream2
Color: RED

Post by luciddream2 »

Mel46 wrote:How old is the belt on your 2013 PCX? Same one from the factory? At least inspect it for cracks and wear.

I trust my belt, but my bike has not been sitting unused for any great length of time. I try to exercise both bikes just to make sure they don't get cobwebs from lack of use.

I just bought the scooter a couple months ago from a woman who spent the last few years traveling for work. That's the reason it had so few miles on it. I put more miles on it in 2 months than she did in 6 years. I think I'd better pull the cover off and take a look at it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The 2013 model is a very good model with the exception of the clutch bearing issue that occurs on some of them, my wife's included. It is easy enough to work on after you get over your fear of breaking tabs, which is common...and some will invariably break.

There were quite a few changes to the PCX over the years but the 2013 model is still the fastest one Honda produced. It runs nice and looks nice.

Change your belt, inspect the inner workings to make sure everything is ok, check the tires for dry rot, put a windshield on it, and you are ready to go.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers