Long Journey

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Long Journey

Post by Mel46 »

When I was much younger I went from New Orleans to Atlanta and back in 48 hours. I was riding a little 350 Honda. I couldn't do that now. I also took my Harley long distances, but it rode much better than a little 350 Honda.
I did a lot of things when I was younger that I wouldn't even think of doing now, like taking my little VW bug from Atlanta, Georgia to San Francisco. (I loved that bug. I have had several since then.)
I also remember taking my Mach 1 Mustang (new 1970 model) from Dallas, Texas to Ft. LAUDERDALE and back in 48 hours at close to it's top end, but I would not do it now.
I also took a VW bug from West Texas to Dallas, Texas and back in 48 hours, and drove across country in another car from Los Angeles to Mobile, Alabama in 3 days. I would not do any of these things now. So do them while you are young. Your body can handle the abuse better when it is young.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

When I was much younger I went from New Orleans to Atlanta and back in 48 hours. I was riding a little 350 Honda. I couldn't do that now. I also took my Harley long distances, but it rode much better than a little 350 Honda.
I did a lot of things when I was younger that I wouldn't even think of doing now, like taking my little VW bug from Atlanta, Georgia to San Francisco. (I loved that bug. I have had several since then.)
I also remember taking my Mach 1 Mustang (new 1970 model) from Dallas, Texas to Ft. LAUDERDALE and back in 48 hours at close to it's top end, but I would not do it now.
I also took a VW bug from West Texas to Dallas, Texas and back in 48 hours, and drove across country in another car from Los Angeles to Mobile, Alabama in 3 days. I would not do any of these things now. So do them while you are young. Your body can handle the abuse better when it is young.
That is a fact Mel. . . life is in the "Now". Have to live it along the way and it sounds like you most certainly did. Ask a young person what they think is important in life and usually they talk about their career and what they will get. Talk to a person hooked up to a heart monitor who has had the "Last Rights" on a hospital bed and they will tell you live every day like it's your last. I think I reached a balance between both points of view. I did two careers actually (it's the economy) and a few filler jobs and managed to get to this point without feeling like I missed out on anything. Sometimes it makes me grin. :lol:

I remember the CB350 well. Also the 305 Super Hawk and the Dream. And the list goes on. . .the 450, the 500's, the 750's. . .

The older kick-start Harley "74" with chain drive was the "real" deal in my view.

I got a ride in a Shelby 428 and a Boss 429 once. . .Wow. . .

Miss my 69 VW Beetle. I could live like a King on a weekend back then on $5 for gas and MacDonalds.

FWIW did you happen to make any of those trips a "White Castle" run? :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I'm sure I did. I just can't remember. There are so many things that I did back when I was young that I can't remember why I did them. As you get older you also forget things that don't seem important any more. heck, I use to ride my Harley hundreds of miles for no particular reason other than wanting to ride...and it was a kick start beast, so it could kick back if I didn't do it correctly. I hated it and loved it at the same time.It didn't like winter but I rode it anyway, when it would start.
I have had a long life, and I am glad to say that I did almost everything I ever wanted to do, and then some. I was in Montgomery, Alabama when the segregation riots happened in 1964. I lived in all sorts of fun places in the United States, like Florida, Texas, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Hawaii. I even spent 6 months in the Antarctic and 3 months in the Arctic, and flew all over the Pacific thanks to the U.S. Coast Guard, landing in some of the most isolated places you could think of...Midway, Christmas Island, Easter Island, Guam, the Philippines, and some islands I had never heard of...like French Frigate Shoals, with a 2900 foot runway, and we were landing a C-130 with a full load. It took the whole runway to land and we bounced our front landing gear against the sea wall at the end of it. Talk about fun!
Then I left the service, finished college, and went to work for the very company that built that C-130.
Now that I am retired I am trying to squeeze in a few more years of riding before it is all over. My PCX is my little red chariot. It may not be one of the 'big boys', but it is still a lot of fun. I hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as I enjoy mine. You don't have to go fast to enjoy riding.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

That is very long distance.
I have done nearly 300 miles in 8 hours last sunday to see the golden flowers.

Given all Tarmac road in England, I think it is not difficult to achieve.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

That is very long distance.
I have done nearly 300 miles in 8 hours last sunday to see the golden flowers.

Given all Tarmac road in England, I think it is not difficult to achieve.
Considering the roads we've seen in some of the pictures that were posted here of China you must have had very little traffic to contend with. So I guess the "golden flowers" isn't a rock'n roll band eh? Is it something that is celebrated every year that people come from miles around to witness? Or did you mean the peach blossoms you showed is in those pictures? Kind of like the cherry blossoms of Spring here except a different color. . .