Not starting :-(

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Not starting :-(

Post by homie »

Rickjds wrote:Have you tried the other brake lever to start? I switched to the right brake lever to start the engine with no problems.
Cool... I learn something new today if this is true
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its not, there's no starter activation switch on the right brake lever of the PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I just went to my basement and started my bike using the right brake lever, so I would have to say that there is a starter activation switch on the right brake lever. In fact, I tried it twice and it worked both times.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I'm I going to have to fire up the Precious early from hibernation? Which years have the right lever switch and which don't?
Attachments
mac3.jpg
mac3.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 756 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Not sure, but I thought it was mentioned some time back that both brake levers work to start (at least some generation PCX) - can't be bothered to go into the cold and out the building to check mine :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Wow! the 2015 PCX will indeed start with use of the right brake lever pulled as well as the left. Not that I will use this feature over the left but for quickly ruling out a bad safety switch as the culprit when your precious won't start... its good to know.

GOOD POST!!!! :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

If I recall, I've also started "my precious" with right hand lever. Don't know why I did that...but I did. Bingo! Up and running. My face was like....What?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The LED '14 circuit diagrams indicate the front and rear brake light switches share both contacts - ground and common tag point probably linking to ECU - which would indicate both would work, but not sure from the diagram how the brake lights come on with a gentle press and 'click' yet the brake lever needs a firm press to start?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Alrighty then,
all years PCX (safety start brake pull feature) can be use with either the left or right brake lever.

Thanks OP, Mel, Iceman, WN... I thought GN was always right :oops: this changes everything :lol:

Just kidding changes nothing, but it does show there are still things to learn about the scooter, removing GN from the whisper'ers... JK :D
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

iceman wrote:The LED '14 circuit diagrams indicate the front and rear brake light switches share both contacts - ground and common tag point probably linking to ECU - which would indicate both would work, but not sure from the diagram how the brake lights come on with a gentle press and 'click' yet the brake lever needs a firm press to start?
I don't own a 150, but it looks like it works like the 300, left brake switch-wise :

That switch bloc contains, in fact, TWO different switches, operating at different pressures. On my
Forza, I got so fed up with the gorilla-strenght second one (starter related) that I disconnected
its two wires and shorted them out (with a 5A fuse !). I still as a habit use the brake when
starting, but without the pain...

They build them so for 'security' reasons, apparently. In fact, there is very little need for them,
as not (that) much pressure is good enough for safety.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

UPDATE : I'd need a shop manual diagram to understand how it is that you have to apply a
supplementary amount of pressure to the left brake lever to get the bike started. I had thought
the PCX equipped with a 2-stage 'inhibitor' switch ala Forza 300, but the parts diagram (Ronnies)
clearly shows a simpler arrangement. Only the proper diagram would also explain why the
PCX can be started using any of the 2 brake levers (not the case with the Forza).

Anybody with a pic of the PCX starting system diagram?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Varous PCX LED and non LED circuit diagrams were posted to this forum a while back. but from a quick google search:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7040
That said, coming home I tried starting my '14 LED UK PCX using the rhs brake lever (front brake) and it did not work!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I tried the right lever with my 2010 (Thailand) 2011 (rest of the world) and it was a no go. It will only start when the left lever is pulled in.

But if I use my right hand on the left lever, that works too. :roll: ;) :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Thanks, iceman.

The 2013+ diagram shows that:
a) both brake switches feed the starter button one (as well as the brk light).
b) there is no Forza-type, high-pressure-requiring 2-stage switch anywhere in the starting circuit.

So I'm at a loss to explain why yours need that firm a pull on the lever to be able to start (as
with the Forza)...It should normally be ready to start as soon as the brake light is on (and current
flowing to the push button sw.) Maybe a fail-ing brake sw.?

K...58, looks like pre-2013 thai models are different (see d.a.rous thai manual, posted not long ago,
page 20-2.