Can the pcx150 last 100 miles?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Re: Can the pcx150 last 100 miles?

Post by db22 »

gn2 wrote:
db22 wrote:My dealer warned me to stay away from ethanol except when the tank is empty and nothing else is available.
The PCX is intended to be used with an ethanol mix of up to 10% (E10) so your dealer is talking shite.
Point noted. Any differences in the engine or fuel injection system between the US and UK models?
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

db22 wrote:Any differences in the engine or fuel injection system between the US and UK models?
As far as fuel suitability is concerned, none.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

In europe, standard fuel can contain upto %5 ethanol mix without being labelled as such, and may soon be allowed to be %10 unlabelled - only issue seems to be with old classic cars. http://www.mag-uk.org/en/campaignsdetail/a6973
namthip
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by namthip »

My pcx can run e20 not that I do. It runs fine on shell 91 e10..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Almost all of our gas here in the United States has an ethanol mix, by law I think, except for the top of the line high test. Every new vehicle must be able to run on this mix except for those that are high performance vehicles. The manufacturer has the recommendation of fuel type displayed by the gas tank itself and in the owners manual. The little PCX has a recommended fuel of 87 octane USA standard and can run fine on up to a 10% ethanol mix with no ill effects on the engine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by db22 »

Mel46 wrote:Almost all of our gas here in the United States has an ethanol mix, by law I think, except for the top of the line high test. Every new vehicle must be able to run on this mix except for those that are high performance vehicles. The manufacturer has the recommendation of fuel type displayed by the gas tank itself and in the owners manual. The little PCX has a recommended fuel of 87 octane USA standard and can run fine on up to a 10% ethanol mix with no ill effects on the engine.
Thanks for the clarification -- I'll fill up with 87 octane/10% ethanol, and see how it runs. Just finished my first all-PCX commute week, clocking over 200 miles. The bike handles my rural/urban mix commute with ease. The more I ride it, the more I like it.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by honkerman »

db22 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Almost all of our gas here in the United States has an ethanol mix, by law I think, except for the top of the line high test. Every new vehicle must be able to run on this mix except for those that are high performance vehicles. The manufacturer has the recommendation of fuel type displayed by the gas tank itself and in the owners manual. The little PCX has a recommended fuel of 87 octane USA standard and can run fine on up to a 10% ethanol mix with no ill effects on the engine.
Thanks for the clarification -- I'll fill up with 87 octane/10% ethanol, and see how it runs. Just finished my first all-PCX commute week, clocking over 200 miles. The bike handles my rural/urban mix commute with ease. The more I ride it, the more I like it.
Over time, Ethanol can damage rubber components In older engines; however, newer engines use tubing, o-rings and such that are designed to withstand the effects of ethanol. The only real advantage to ethanol in newer vehicles is better fuel economy (the ethanol serves as little more than filler), but if the cost per gallon is excessively greater than the cost of e10 fuel, you may not be saving anything.

So, that said, you will see a drop in fuel economy, but you will not damage the scooter.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:The only real advantage to ethanol in newer vehicles is better fuel economy

So, that said, you will see a drop in fuel economy

Confused

Anyone tried e85?