security

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: security

Post by iceman »

The motion alarm pager things may be worth it for high risk areas - I saw one months ago for about £200-300 and you can pay per year to have it linked to their 365/24hr system to alert the police if the bike is moved from the 'alarm gps location' whilst alarmed. Costly but good if you are in a high-theft area with no garage or have an expensive bike. Heck, cheaper than having high insurance with high excess and higher costs in event of a claim. Better get cheaper insurance and pay for good locks (there are some that are guaranteed to only be croppable by industrial croppers such as used by the fire service) and good paging monitored alarms.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

j.d.b. wrote:How do they start them quickly, without the key? Are PCX's ignition locks defeated simply say, with with a small flat-blade screwdriver?
I dunno meself how they compromise the ignition lock, but aftrr seeing a few thai pcx theft videos (recorded by surveillance cams) the process does not seem to be very difficult. Blokes usually two up ride beside the stopped bike, they use some pocket sized tool to break the lock, then start and ride away on the bike itself. So I guess some additional immobilising circuitry would help a lot at least the thief could not ride away.
One interesting low tech thing I've seen was to install a separate key switch beneath the seat which enables ignition.
I beleive in combination of both hardware and electronic methods.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Seth wrote:@yak -- That was one of my take-away's too. The margin is probably pretty low on a PCX vs a supersport or Harley too. I doubt the pros are out there targeting scoots. Meth heads are a whole other thing of course. They're thieves of opportunity.
What they're looking for is the parts. Bikes aren't typically sold whole; they're separated into their parts, which have a better margin, are easier to resell, and are much harder to trace.

The pros are targeting whatever they have an "order" for. If they need PCX parts that week, guess what, they're on the lookout for our bikes.

The amateurs and joyriders, OTOH, look for targets of opportunity. Your methods may defeat these guys or cause them to move to easier pickings. If the pros want your bike, they will get it. Period.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Bash On! wrote:The pros are targeting whatever they have an "order" for. If they need PCX parts that week, guess what, they're on the lookout for our bikes.

The amateurs and joyriders, OTOH, look for targets of opportunity. Your methods may defeat these guys or cause them to move to easier pickings. If the pros want your bike, they will get it. Period.
True but pros are as the name realy pros. If they have a chance to get something with less risk they'll go for that instead a better protected one. That means they'll get the next door chap's PCX if yours seems to be a more difficult/risky nut to crack.