PCX 150 speed increase options

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: PCX 150 speed increase options

Post by Valiant »

V65Mag wrote:New to forum, just picked up a 2013 PCX 150 today and took out on a maiden voyage of about 12 miles. Read the earlier posts, about extracting more speed, and tend to agree with one fellow, the motor is a 150, and getting another 10 mph may require a bigger motor. I will probably do something dumb and put a Yoshimura pipe on this PCX, get a little more responsiveness, but probably will not go faster top end.
It is what it is, a 150. Years ago between the first V65 and a KLR, I had a 1986 CH 150, and it ran strong, better than this PCX, but the PCX is better handling, and better to ride.

I have a Silverwing and a V65 Magna, now, sold the ST1100 and BMW R1100RT. My objective was a little scoot that could go 50-55 on 2 or 4 lane roads, something light enough to take on vacation, and something with enough performance to keep speed on the hills of Western Pa..

On the brief ride today, the PCX is pretty much exactly what I wanted and expected. Heck of a good little scoot and as one fellow said, after riding bigger bikes, some high horsepower bikes, this thing should not be this fun, but it is !
Technically the gearing limits the top end, and the power determines whether or not you can get to it.

You should be able to gain 10 mph over stock with a big bore kit, performance camshaft, larger throttle body, and an aftermarket variator. The challenge from there is generally overall driving conditions(wind, flat roads, traffic). With my setup, I can touch 73 mph on the speedo, but Hawaii's roads have a low speed limit(60mph max), and they generally aren't flat or straight. Combined with slow acceleration, I haven't been able to go faster on my daily commute, but I could probably reach 76mph if I take a longer downhill stretch.

Since stock speed for the 2015 model is rev limited at 64mph, I'm pretty happy with where it is, though I'll still play with it to get optimum performance.

With yours, you might be able to get there without touching the engine, as I generally lug around 25 lbs of chains to lock the PCX(carried in saddlebags), I have a top box, I weigh 200lbs, and I wear bulky crash gear. I believe one member managed to get to 76 mph with an aftermarket variator and a slight modification to the stock air filter, but it would pretty much be under ideal driving conditions.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ert13 wrote:I recently bought a used 2013 150 pcx with 9500km on the clock. The top speed i get is 100kmph (gps), which is a bit on the low side for me. I would like to get the speed up between 110 and 120kmph.
I am not sure which variator, drive face and roller set to get. From the forums the NCY set seem to work for some people and then some people reported no speed increase at all.

My options that I am considering at this point are the following:
NCY set:
http://tinyurl.com/qbg6suy
Kitaco set:
http://tinyurl.com/pc8a7tr
Daytona set:
http://tinyurl.com/o34c5x6
Venom Set
http://tinyurl.com/p6kvp83

Any recommendations are welcome.

Try changing the stock rollers and belt first.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote: Try changing the stock rollers and belt first.
ert13 wrote:The parcel ordered from webike arrived today. Now I need to do a bit of reading up on implementing the mods.
Seems like he already bought some stuff, hopefully a new belt is in that parcel.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
you you wrote: Try changing the stock rollers and belt first.
ert13 wrote:The parcel ordered from webike arrived today. Now I need to do a bit of reading up on implementing the mods.
Seems like he already bought some stuff, hopefully a new belt is in that parcel.

Maybe
fast1075
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

I "graduated" up from an Elite110 I bought new. I loved that little bugger, but it just didn't quite have what it took to cruise along at 55+. I know "fast" inside and out. There are many stories to go along with my screen name.

I picked up my PCX 150 last Wednesday. Since I got it I have put about 300 miles on it just getting used to it. My will go 65 MPH on the rev limiter, GPS verified. At that speed the speedo says 67 MPH. A lot more accurate than I would have believed, but then again, the speedo on the 110 was dead nuts on.

Back to speed increases. I plan on some lighter sliders. It takes off pretty good, but has a flat spot up to about 40, which seems to be caused by the variator going full closed too soon. We can fix that. since I bought it used, it is going on the lift soon for a fluid change, valve check and variator/belt/drivetrain inspection. I figure I can toss in a set of sliders then and see how it goes.

I bought my first scooter when gas was $4.00 plus, and my daily driver only got 11 MPG (Jeep Comanche with 4.5 stroker, 5.13 gears, and 39" tires). Enter the Elite 110. I had completely forgotten how fun a scoot was. The thing took 30 years off me, and I was once again a Hooligan on wheels. Being able to go 195+ with a twist of the grip has it's enticement, but it really isn't laugh out loud in your helmet FUN. OK, it IS, but not the same kind of fun as scooting.

Wanna have fun, get a scoot. Want white knuckle adrenalin pumping excitement? Take one KZ-1000 throw away everything except half the frame, and "some" of the engine. Add equal amounts of Chromoly tubing, unobtainium, cash, and nitrous oxide, throw in the whole APE catalog, mix well and spend the kid's inheritance to keep it fed, fixed, improved, and on good sticky slicks. Mid 7 second 1/4 miles are neither easy or cheap.

I'm gonna go ride my scoot some :)
The Fasterizer
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I don't see why having fun on a scooter is mutually exclusive to performance upgrades. You don't really need them to have fun on a scoot, but having them doesn't take the fun away.