Centre stand trouble.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Keith
Year: PCX 2012 now 20
Color: White now red

Re: Centre stand trouble.

Post by Keith »

Just reading an old post. Pcxdemon has replaced his ECM, so if he is reading this, perhaps he could be of help. I am a new mwmber and not sure if I can pm others yet.
I will be taking the bike to the welder so I hope the disconnection of the ECM is simple to get at. I suspect it is somewhere near in the battery compartment.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Keith wrote:Found a firm who are willing to TIG weld the broken lug.
Before doing so he has asked me to contact Honda to se if it would have any effect on the electrics or any module,as he puts it, if the work was done in situ. I will do this but wondered if any poster here has any views or experience on this?

Just disconnect the battery and make sure you get a full length weld. Can aluminium alloy be tig welded?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Keith wrote:I am a new member and not sure if I can pm others yet.
You should be able to pm because I think it is 15 posts that you need and you have passed that.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Keith

Post by Keith »

kramnala58 wrote:
Keith wrote:I am a new member and not sure if I can pm others yet.
You should be able to pm because I think it is 15 posts that you need and you have passed that.
Thank you for that. Yes I have sent a pm. Not doing it correctly the first time.
Keith

Post by Keith »

you you wrote:
Before doing so he has asked me to contact Honda to se if it would have any effect on the electrics or any module,as he puts it, if the work was done in situ. I will do this but wondered if any poster here has any views or experience on this?

Just disconnect the battery and make sure you get a full length weld. Can aluminium alloy be tig welded?
I say TIG, perhaps it is something else. Anyway the fabricator was certain he could weld it, he just wanted to be certain no electrical parts would be damaged, hence my request for any information.

It appears that with the battery and ECM (when I find out where it is ) disconnected he can go ahead.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Keith wrote:
you you wrote:

I say TIG, perhaps it is something else. Anyway the fabricator was certain he could weld it, he just wanted to be certain no electrical parts would be damaged, hence my request for any information.

It appears that with the battery and ECM (when I find out where it is ) disconnected he can go ahead.
Yes. Disconnect the electrics and the bike is inert. Mind you a weld will still just be a weld and the depth of the weld on alloy woulnt have the original castings structural integrity and therefore strength
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Centre stand trouble.

Post by Alibally »

I've seen cracked inner rims of alloy wheels welded quite successfully but they are a thinner than the stand lug. If you're man is a decent welder it should be ok but I would be a bit careful with it afterwards not to overload it. Eg, sitting on the bike on the stand etc.
As long as the battery is disconnected you should be ok.
Keith

Post by Keith »

After receiving instructions on how to disconnect the ECM. (Difficult, numerous panels to be removed etc,) I have decided not to proceed with the repair. I agree the repair may fail and even more damage may result.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Good decision.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I know two different guys with BMW's and both have had problems with their center stands breaking but I think it was the stand itself rather than the cast part. I am not even sure how they are attached.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by DAB »

tbln930 wrote:I know two different guys with BMW's and both have had problems with their center stands breaking but I think it was the stand itself rather than the cast part. I am not even sure how they are attached.
All the motorcycles I have had, the center stands have been attached to the frame, not the engine.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tbln930 wrote:I know two different guys with BMW's and both have had problems with their center stands breaking but I think it was the stand itself rather than the cast part. I am not even sure how they are attached.

Excellent, thanks
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

gn2 wrote: Got my Forza back on Friday, it had been in for the fuel pump recall, waterpump seal warranty repair and 16,000 mile service.
It had already had a replacement brake disc, pads and brake light switch under warranty.
I doubt I will be buying a Thai built Honda again.
Have only had the Forza 18 months and am already thinking about getting something else.
There was me all set to trade my PCX in for a Forza too, you've put me right off now!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

DAB wrote:All the motorcycles I have had, the center stands have been attached to the frame, not the engine.
I believe I read on another thread that centre stands are typically mounted to the frames of motorcycles but it is not uncommon to find them mounted to the engines of scooters.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Scottish wrote:There was me all set to trade my PCX in for a Forza too, you've put me right off now!
Just early teething troubles. ;)
The problems will all have been sorted now bar the brake warping.
That's common to most rear brakes if they're not looked after properly....
Buy a Forza with confidence, its an excellent scooter.
As are the Kymco Downtown, Kawasaki J300 ABS or Sym Joymax....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

gn2 wrote:
Scottish wrote:There was me all set to trade my PCX in for a Forza too, you've put me right off now!
Just early teething troubles. ;)
The problems will all have been sorted now bar the brake warping.
That's common to most rear brakes if they're not looked after properly....
Buy a Forza with confidence, its an excellent scooter.
As are the Kymco Downtown, Kawasaki J300 ABS or Sym Joymax....
How about a second hand one with 10,500 miles that rattles at low speed and has certainly been dropped a couple of times..
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Dont be fooled by the pics, its quite tatty looking in the flesh..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I've seen that one on the net, tatty isn't important so long as its sound and working and all issues rectified prior to sale.
Any mechanical rattles should be sorted under warranty prior to sale.
If they don't want to sort it, walk away, there's shitloads of decent scooters available elsewhere.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

That about our new price here for 2014s w/o ABS.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Keith wrote:Definetely a crack, just in the lower part of the hole forming the pivot for the stand. No leaks. I am sure the case is not affected.
I thought of just continuing to use the stand until it broke. I never though it might affect the casing, I just assumed that when it broke it would just make the stand unusable. I will leave it on but only use the side stand.
It would be very difficult to weld, even if I could find someone.
I had the same happen to mine in the first year of ownership, and Honda USA replaced it under warranty.

I removed the centerstand afterwards, I've heard of a couple of (rare) instances where the strain from the centerstand actually cracked the case, allowing oil to flow out and catastrophically fail the engine.

This issue is only on the 2011 PCX 125. Honda did not issue a recall for it. It has been fixed on all the post-2011 PCXes.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by jcpeden »

Keith wrote:After receiving instructions on how to disconnect the ECM. (Difficult, numerous panels to be removed etc,) I have decided not to proceed with the repair. I agree the repair may fail and even more damage may result.
Have been looking at doing the same thing myself but it looks like a known flaw that the centre stand on these bikes is pretty badly designed. I'll leave mine off and be done with it.