Top Case Recommendation & underseat space?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Top Case Recommendation & underseat space?

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote: No equation changing moment really

Calm down about the loss of your peddely
That was hypothetical, it was a $250 Schwinn that was stolen. My living situation however is real.

Why not secure it as much as practical(i.e. short of converting it into a trike so it doesn't fit into a van)? It's around $3,500 brand new, and insurance(after deductible) won't cover a good chunk of the cost.

If someone broke into my house because I left the louver windows open, why criticize the home owner when I stick a lock on the shutters and install a home alarm if I don't want to be victimized again?

If they want it they will take it? Damn straight. Doesn't mean it has to be a free meal for them though. At some point though, the thief will have to ask themselves if they want to bother with a $3,500 maxi scooter.

At any rate, further discussion on this subject is pointless(and off-topic), I already put the order in for the stuff. The money is sunk.

I'll go with the OEM top case in addition to the Firstgear Onyx Saddlebags, due to their similarity to the suggested panniers, as well as local availability(that is, in the USA).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
you you wrote: No equation changing moment really

Calm down about the loss of your peddely
That was hypothetical, it was a $250 Schwinn that was stolen. My living situation however is real.

Why not secure it as much as practical(i.e. short of converting it into a trike so it doesn't fit into a van)? It's around $3,500 brand new, and insurance(after deductible) won't cover a good chunk of the cost.

If someone broke into my house because I left the louver windows open, why criticize the home owner when I stick a lock on the shutters and install a home alarm if I don't want to be victimized again?

If they want it they will take it? Damn straight. Doesn't mean it has to be a free meal for them though. At some point though, the thief will have to ask themselves if they want to bother with a $3,500 maxi scooter.

At any rate, further discussion on this subject is pointless(and off-topic), I already put the order in for the stuff. The money is sunk.

I'll go with the OEM top case in addition to the Firstgear Onyx Saddlebags, due to their similarity to the suggested panniers, as well as local availability(that is, in the USA).
Wow. Get on with it

Or chill a little? :roll:
InvertedB

Post by InvertedB »

I moved from Hawaii two years ago, but while there I had a little 50cc scooter. Securing those things is of utmost importance around there as they get ripped off like it's going out of style. I used to use one of those Kryptonite armored chains with a Kryptonite U-Lock. Part of the reason was because they reimburse for stolen items that were secured with their locks. I also would always chain it around the middle of the scooter without enough slack to allow it to be slipped off and then secured it to a concrete pillar in my carport.

Be careful of a few things: 1) If you chain to a post that is not topped or not over 8' tall they may just lift the scooter and chain over the top, had that happen to a friend. 2) Don't chain through the front wheel, it's really easy to just take off, then they throw the scooter in the bed of a pickup truck without the front wheel and go. 3) Try not to keep anything valuable in it at all besides your helmet. Keep more valuable items under the seat than in the top case as they'll just rip the top case straight off if they really want it. 4) Don't bother with a helmet lock unless you absolutely can't get it under the seat or in the top case. They'll just cut the straps making the helmet useless, but they'll still take it.

For those that are unaware and have been bashing the OP, Hawaii has low rates of major and violent crimes, but ridiculously high rates of petty crimes such as theft and break ins. It's not uncommon to park a car at the beach and have it broken into when you come back. There's a high rate of methamphetamine use as well, which fuels a lot of the petty crime as the users sell stuff to support their habit.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

InvertedB wrote:I moved from Hawaii two years ago, but while there I had a little 50cc scooter. Securing those things is of utmost importance around there as they get ripped off like it's going out of style. I used to use one of those Kryptonite armored chains with a Kryptonite U-Lock. Part of the reason was because they reimburse for stolen items that were secured with their locks. I also would always chain it around the middle of the scooter without enough slack to allow it to be slipped off and then secured it to a concrete pillar in my carport.
Well, HOA is a pain and won't allow me to chain it around a concrete pillar(unless one is next to my assigned spot) or tree. So I'd probably have to just lock both wheels to the frame and hope the thief would think it's a PITA to cut them off, even if they have a van.
Be careful of a few things: 1) If you chain to a post that is not topped or not over 8' tall they may just lift the scooter and chain over the top, had that happen to a friend.
You technically can't do that on a sidewalk. Some people do, but it would just take a bored cop to get you a fine.
2) Don't chain through the front wheel, it's really easy to just take off, then they throw the scooter in the bed of a pickup truck without the front wheel and go.
I was going to lock both the front and rear wheels to the frame.

3) Try not to keep anything valuable in it at all besides your helmet. Keep more valuable items under the seat than in the top case as they'll just rip the top case straight off if they really want it.
That's going to be questionable, as I'm not sure my helmet would fit under the seat.
4) Don't bother with a helmet lock unless you absolutely can't get it under the seat or in the top case. They'll just cut the straps making the helmet useless, but they'll still take it.
Wouldn't it be easy to just pop the faceshield open and string my chain through it?
For those that are unaware and have been bashing the OP, Hawaii has low rates of major and violent crimes, but ridiculously high rates of petty crimes such as theft and break ins. It's not uncommon to park a car at the beach and have it broken into when you come back. There's a high rate of methamphetamine use as well, which fuels a lot of the petty crime as the users sell stuff to support their habit.
They obviously need to take a vacation in Hawaii :D . But yeah, tourists are usually pretty easy targets. The justice system also has a tendency to release convicted felons back onto the streets so long as it isn't a violent crime. I get the idea behind it, but people need to realize that this hurts the tourism industry if tourists are constantly victimized when they come here.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I see no point in making another thread, so I'll just ask in this one:

Does anyone know if the OEM topcase for the 2013 PCX would fit on the 2015 model? If not, is there an aftermarket case that would fit it?
InvertedB

Post by InvertedB »

Good point with just popping open the faceshield. I forgot about that simple idea and it's what I used to do if I didn't have room under the seat. Locking the wheels together and to the frame seemed to be a good enough deterrent with a lightweight 50cc they could just pick up and walk off with, should be really safe with the heavier PCX.
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Valiant wrote:I see no point in making another thread, so I'll just ask in this one:

Does anyone know if the OEM topcase for the 2013 PCX would fit on the 2015 model? If not, is there an aftermarket case that would fit it?
Probably. If not go Givi.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

InvertedB wrote:Good point with just popping open the faceshield. I forgot about that simple idea and it's what I used to do if I didn't have room under the seat. Locking the wheels together and to the frame seemed to be a good enough deterrent with a lightweight 50cc they could just pick up and walk off with, should be really safe with the heavier PCX.
Oh, they could still lift it I'm sure. It would just take longer and maybe require more than 2 people. Probably wouldn't be too hard if they just pull up a van right next to it. In any case, I won't lose any sleep over it. Solid objects aren't always available to lock to, and I'm 100% confident that my PCX would be locked up better than 99% of every other 2-wheeler on the island, sans the fixed object thingamajig.

Going by the low-hanging fruit theory of theft, a $3,500 maxi-scooter that's locked up like a $20,000 Ducati should be less appealing than the $20,000 Ducati.
Ratster wrote: Probably. If not go Givi.
I shot an e-mail to Givi, but they only list fitment to 2012-2014 models(guessing that extends to overseas models). I think the deciding factor is whether or not the mounting plate would fit on the current PCX model.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Valiant, yes you worded that ^ correctly and to the point. I too would like to know.
I'm also wanting to know about fitted windscreens/shields for the current model. I will be investigating that and the availability of the current PCX shop manual.

Oh by the way Valiant, please post your Honolulu, Hawaii location by clicking the User Control Panel (top right corner of this page). Once there, click Profile (left column), then look to the right...See Location? ;) It does help us to help each other.

Cheers and good luck locking things up (pity we're driven to these measures :( I'm in N.Y. o_O so, I hear ya!)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Valiant wrote:I see no point in making another thread, so I'll just ask in this one:

Might be too early to have accessories listed for the 2015 but compare the part numbers for the rack (or topcase, even) for both years. If the same part number, you're golden. Even if they're different part numbers for the rack, it may still work. Honda seems to use the same rack hole arrangement for several different bikes over time--makes it easier for them.

For example, I'm using a Honda (Europe) top case made for a 2008-2010 Sh150 on a rack for a US-spec'd 2013 PCX 150. Different rack but same hole arrangement so the top case fits perfectly (and looks better than the current PCX one, too!). Think that particular top case was also specified for a Euro-version CB900 for some non-current years.

Happy hunting.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

But doesn't that mean that you can simply use different cases for the same rack? Not necessarily sure it would mean the old model rack would fit on the new model if the design changes mean the rack won't sit flush.

I did try Google, but didn't read anything about a top box for it, nor see any pictures of one.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Take a look at the "Sh125 top box install" thread. The first picture shows the PCX rack that the Sh125-intended top box can attach to. It appears that Honda will change the rack shape and how it attaches to the bike but leaves the "business end" (i.e., where the top case attaches to the rack surface) the same for at least a few different bike models. It's a lot of work to redesign the "business end" for each type of bike and then source a new top case attachment system to match, so I think it's likely that the current top case will fit the 2015.

But, the proof is in the pudding, so you might just have to wait until you have the 2015. If you get a case beforehand, make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Thanks,

I was at the dealer to sign the papers for my 2015 PCX. Based on their recommendations, I should wait until Honda officially releases the accessories for it. They're also not too sure if the 2013 mounting rack would fit on the 2015 model.