About CBS fuild.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: About CBS fuild.

Post by iceman »

grndslm wrote:
gn2 wrote:The idea behind CBS is to help prevent front wheel lock-ups.
You can pull the CBS lever on a PCX as hard as you can and the front wheel doesn't lock.
For avoidance of doubt and hopefully to clear this up once and for all....
LEFT LEVER = COMBINED FRONT & REAR BRAKING
RIGHT LEVER = FRONT BRAKING ONLY
Your first sentence doesn't match the reality that you could pull the right lever as hard as possible and lockup the front wheel!!
What?? GN2 states pulling the left CBS lever hard will not lock the front wheel, he did not state the same for the rhs lever that you are talking about!
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

Iceman, that comment was a response to my initial comment that the advertised purpose (that I'd read on more than one occasion) was to prevent the front wheel from locking up... Hence, why it's still blowing my mind that the front wheel can still be locked up with this design.

Locking up a drum is pretty tough, so the real reason behind CBS is to add more bite to a [weak] rear brake. If the purpose was really to "prevent front wheel lockups", then CBS would be activated by right hand lever. Preventing front wheel lockup by adding CBS to left hand lever (which was previously only activating a drum brake that can't really lockup unless there's component failure) seems illogical to me, at least.

I've even read people claim that they can't trail brake properly on a PCX because of CBS, so PCX riders are at a disadvantage when moving to a typical motorcycle... but that's obviously false.

But I digress... i actually misread that image I linked to earlier. Both the old and new CBS systems worked the same way, with left being CBS and right being front wheel only. Thought there was a reason for the misinformation and that was it.... But no, just me adding more confusion to an already confused topic.

*Bows out of discussion*
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

grndslm you have muddied the waters by drifting off away from the topic under discussion.
This thread is in the PCX section, so the discussion should really relate to the PCX.
The PCX CBS is configured so that (only) when using the CBS system, the braking force provided by the rear wheel is greater than that from the front wheel, ergo the rear wheel will always lock first.
The general idea being that the user can easily release pressure and unlock a rear skid without crashing.
So imagine yourself riding on wet cobbles (other slippy surfaces are available) and an idiot pulls out of a side street.
If you use the CBS the chances you'll stay upright are increased.
And that's the whole idea.

The PCX had CBS fitted because of EU regulations which mandate it as the minimum standard for 125s.
Higher specification 125s got ABS and Honda has had to add ABS to the PCX to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Honda's C-ABS is a whole different animal.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong