Safety Concerns

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Safety Concerns

Post by Rick54 »

My biggest concern is a left turn on a two lane 55 mph road, and hoping the traffic behind me does realize I've stopped to make the turn. So in order to help, I'm considering a florescent colored coat. I prefer the orange over the green. The reason being that a rising or setting sun shining through green leaves and foliage does light up the sides of the road with a bright green glow. I'd prefer the bright orange against the green for contrast. I'm not sure coats come in orange though.

My other thought is a bright red led flasher attached to the back of my helmet or bike. I've noticed bicycle riders have these led lights on the back of their bikes. Some models are very bright and can be noticed from long distances. I would think this would be handy for those early morning commutes to work before sunrise. Will look into these lights.

Any other safety tips would be appreciated.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Safety Concerns

Post by gn2 »

Rick54 wrote:I'm not sure coats come in orange though.
They definitely do.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... rds=orange
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a Hi-viz yellow coat and helmet, and they are definitely noticed. However, if you cannot find the color that you prefer in the jacket you prefer, add a bright orange road worker vest. You should be able to find those. You might also consider adding more brake lights. I have a brake light that strobes back and forth while I am riding, but when I grab the brake it flashes for 5 or 6 seconds before coming on steady. I installed it on the top of my license plate cover. It is an easy 3 wire install.
http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_ri ... ht_bar.htm
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Rick54 wrote:My biggest concern is a left turn on a two lane 55 mph road, and hoping the traffic behind me does realize I've stopped to make the turn. So in order to help, I'm considering a florescent colored coat. I prefer the orange over the green. The reason being that a rising or setting sun shining through green leaves and foliage does light up the sides of the road with a bright green glow. I'd prefer the bright orange against the green for contrast. I'm not sure coats come in orange though.

My other thought is a bright red led flasher attached to the back of my helmet or bike. I've noticed bicycle riders have these led lights on the back of their bikes. Some models are very bright and can be noticed from long distances. I would think this would be handy for those early morning commutes to work before sunrise. Will look into these lights.

Any other safety tips would be appreciated.

You're a worrier aren't you? The sky isn't falling...
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

A worrier? Having been rear ended at a stop twice in my life which resulted in the totaling of both vehicles, and I was able to walk away from both, I'd say just concerned with keeping up my good fortune. I don't want to temp fate, if you know what I mean?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I get it Rick. I've been hit hard in the rear at least 5 times over the years, one by a bus (me in a Civic). That one set me back awhile. Whiplash my middle name. TMJ. Back bad too. I feel your anxiety and your concern. It's ok. You'll be Ready, when You're Ready. You're right about that.

2yous means no harm. Just his style talking. Hang here longer and you'll read what I mean. He's okay, really. He has riding experience, you don't. Take it from there.

He doesn't want you to talk yourself out of a good time by over talking it, with over the top concern. It's not earthshaking, it's a scooter after all.
Hoped this helped.

Relax, take a deep breath and Get Excited!! Riding a Bike is "AWESOME!!" Let's Do It!!
(By the way, 2yous really digs that word :lol: )
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:I get it Rick. I've been hit hard in the rear at least 5 times over the years, one by a bus (me in a Civic). That one set me back awhile. Whiplash my middle name. TMJ. Back bad too. I feel your anxiety and your concern. It's ok. You'll be Ready, when You're Ready. You're right about that.

2yous means no harm. Just his style talking. Hang here longer and you'll read what I mean. He's okay, really. He has riding experience, you don't. Take it from there.

He doesn't want you to talk yourself out of a good time by over talking it, with over the top concern. It's not earthshaking, it's a scooter after all.
Hoped this helped.

Relax, take a deep breath and Get Excited!! Riding a Bike is "AWESOME!!" Let's Do It!!
(By the way, 2yous really digs that word :lol: )

I thought whiplash was your surname?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise wrote:2yous means no harm. Just his style talking. Hang here longer and you'll read what I mean. He's okay, really. He has riding experience, you don't. Take it from there. ....
Agreed
you you wrote:I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)
Stick with the first part of 2U's signature (nice guy) while holding loosely to the second part (can behave). ;) :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

HahaHah! 2yous lashing out at me? I felt that!!! I got it :D
"Whip-it, Whip it good" (Sorry, just heard that tidbit in me head. Another song is all). Thank Devo (or not)
ttfn 2u's ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

In left turn/u-turn it could be more of how you warn the vehicle behind you where you are going? Hi-Vis clothing will help with visibility but the car following you might have already seen you but is tailing you too close. How far before the turn one should flash the turn signal lights and the brakes to warn tailing cars of intention?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

It also works to slide a bright mesh riding vest over any jacket.
But do make it a RIDING vest because construction worker vests whistle feverishly once you're above moped speeds.