How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by fish »

Upper right...a couple ice fishemen giving it up. Cold and windy.
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

We snuck up to 54 f again. Heading out in a bit.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Cool photo, fish! Don't think I'll ever get a shot of my scoot like that. Burrr! Its 34 degrees F. by me and I'll use the cage to go out. SECoda has great riding weather.
adrianwo
Year: 2014
Color: matt grey

Post by adrianwo »

Prety cold in Granade too, but what a view.
Attachments
IMG_20150124_133627.jpg
IMG_20150124_133627.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1096 times
IMG_20150123_144131.jpg
IMG_20150123_144131.jpg (895.64 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
IMG_20150123_144014.jpg
IMG_20150123_144014.jpg (939.95 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Gorgeous scenery! Those hills are bigger than our hills. o_O

It pushed up to another unseasonably 59 F here. I can't imagine that lasting long. I pushed the new Forza over 1000 miles since December (136 miles just today). Got to git em when the gitten is good. :P .
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@adrianwo - Very nice pictures! love the snow, mountains and blue sky backdrop for your scoot!
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I don't own a PCX 150 yet but a Yamaha BWS (Zuma) 50 while I work on getting my Motorcycle license. Anyway, the coldest I've ridden in was -6C / 22F. Clear conditions save for a bit of frost. There were a couple of days I left the scooter home and drove to work instead when there was thick ice on the road but precipitation below freezing is rare around here. Temperatures are normally a few degrees above freezing, but we've been having balmy 7 to 12C / 44 to 56F weather the last few days. I commute about 68 km / 42 miles a day, yes on a 50cc. Which is why I want a freeway capable PCX.

My HJC helmet has poor defogging properties so sometimes I have to freeze my face when temperatures are below 4C/40F opening it a crack. Now I know why people spend $400 to 700 on a good helmet.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@dkazzed - For temperatures under 60 degrees F. use the Pin lock insert for your visor. My HJC helmet came with it. But, sometimes you have it purchase it desperately.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

dkazzed wrote:I don't own a PCX 150 yet but a Yamaha BWS (Zuma) 50 while I work on getting my Motorcycle license. Anyway, the coldest I've ridden in was -6C / 22F. Clear conditions save for a bit of frost. There were a couple of days I left the scooter home and drove to work instead when there was thick ice on the road but precipitation below freezing is rare around here. Temperatures are normally a few degrees above freezing, but we've been having balmy 7 to 12C / 44 to 56F weather the last few days. I commute about 68 km / 42 miles a day, yes on a 50cc. Which is why I want a freeway capable PCX.

My HJC helmet has poor defogging properties so sometimes I have to freeze my face when temperatures are below 4C/40F opening it a crack. Now I know why people spend $400 to 700 on a good helmet.
Yeah, I hava an HJC modular, full-face helmet - they make a few kinds of magic stuff to stop fogging inside the helmet on cold days. I've tried all of them I think - and just get used to riding with the helmet open (some very cold days - once everything reaches the same temp, it seems i can close the helmet with no foggoing) a bit. I use two balaclavas to keep the face and neck covered - with just the eyes uncovered.
The pinlocks are supposed to work OK.
Kudos to you for commuting 42 miles with only 50cc's under you !!
Ride safe, Fish (BTW - where're you at in the world?)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I have the GMax GM54S helmet and they have two different anti-fog solutions. One is a double lens anti-fog system and the other a shield that has a electric defroster built in. The electric one works very well in all conditions but you obviously need power (which is readily available under the seat on the PCX). The other one works for light to moderate fogging only.

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/GMa ... met-Shield

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/56 ... C_ID=10010
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Thanks all. I inherited my HJC modular helmet from the person I bought my BWS from, so I don't even know what model number it is. I do plan on upgrading my gear before hitting freeway speeds. A balaclava would be nice, and I keep clear and shaded protective glasses in my scooter at all times for when I go to construction sites for inspections and surveys that I also where when riding shield up.

The GMax electric defog seems nice. I'll keep that in mind. Because of my ridiculously large head, I'll either have to buy locally or buy from somewhere with an excellent return/exchange policy. My XL HJC modular helmet is a bit tight but bearable up until the 75 minute mark of my commute. But trying a couple of 2XL helmets on I found the fit to be even tighter than my current helmet.

I work in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and live way out in the suburbs. My commute can be 55 minutes each way with no traffic up to 90 minutes with traffic, as I'm limited to 50 to 60 km/h limit streets. I used to take transit to work which was 60 to 70 minutes each way when it worked. But the system had become plagued with reliability issues in the months leading up to the purchase of my BWS in October, and now going back to transit is no longer an option. I love it. Getting a PCX would cut my commute down to 35 to 60 minutes each way.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

dkazzed wrote:Thanks all. I inherited my HJC modular helmet from the person I bought my BWS from, so I don't even know what model number it is. I do plan on upgrading my gear before hitting freeway speeds. A balaclava would be nice, and I keep clear and shaded protective glasses in my scooter at all times for when I go to construction sites for inspections and surveys that I also where when riding shield up.

The GMax electric defog seems nice. I'll keep that in mind. Because of my ridiculously large head, I'll either have to buy locally or buy from somewhere with an excellent return/exchange policy. My XL HJC modular helmet is a bit tight but bearable up until the 75 minute mark of my commute. But trying a couple of 2XL helmets on I found the fit to be even tighter than my current helmet.

I work in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and live way out in the suburbs. My commute can be 55 minutes each way with no traffic up to 90 minutes with traffic, as I'm limited to 50 to 60 km/h limit streets. I used to take transit to work which was 60 to 70 minutes each way when it worked. But the system had become plagued with reliability issues in the months leading up to the purchase of my BWS in October, and now going back to transit is no longer an option. I love it. Getting a PCX would cut my commute down to 35 to 60 minutes each way.
Yes, seems one MUST try the helmets on due to all sorts of things - some are oval shaped, some round, etc.., etc..
I tried on helmets for 3 days before I discovered that only a XXXXL HJC oval helmet fit properly - good and snug but comfortably for extended periods of time.
I cannot see any way to find a proper fit by mail. Purchasing yes - fitment, no.
I watched several videos of pros discussing proper helmet fit, as well......I discovered that while some biker shop sales ladies are pretty cute - they too often haven't a clue about some points of safe 2-wheeling. My local shop specializes in cleavage and tight jeans - rather than knowledgeable help. They've been at it for years - so it must be working for them.
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

The stores often ask the customer what their head is worth in attempt to promote the real expensive helmets. Don't fall for it.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Amazon has an excellent return policy. They process a refund as soon as the courier scans the return package. So that's an option. I live about half an hour from the border so I often shop from the US Amazon site which has better selection of motorcycle and auto parts with faster shipping and lower prices, even though it costs 1.25 trillion Canadian dollars to buy one US dollar right now.

I was at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show yesterday and tried on a Shoei helmet on clearance for $150 off to $399. It was snug although not uncomfortably so. It'll probably loosen up a bit as the cushioning gets broken in, so it gives me hope that I will find a good helmet in the size 2XL range. I'd have to wear it for a couple hours to see how well it truly does. I agree that a $79 DOT helmet will be just as safe as a $799 DOT helmet and the difference is good, better, and best comfort.

I'm also debating full face vs. modular helmet. I heard full face helmets are warmer as the bottom part extends below the chin. With modular it's easy to sneak in a sip of water at a red light plus I do enjoy riding face exposed (with eye protection) at downtown speeds on a warm and sunny day.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I have a modular for winter and a 3/4 for real hot summer days. Modular is so easy to put on but very nice at 35 F too.

Should hit 50 today and 53 tomorrow. :P

dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Looks great! Is that just a visibility vest you're wearing on top of a riding jacket?

I like my modular helmet too.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yes - Steph talked me into that. I think it was about $40 on amazon in various colors (I just don't like the flour pink or yellow even though they are best visibility). It is reflective for night too although I rarely ride after dark.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Ah. Someone brought up a good point that riding gear and motorcycles should be colour coordinated anyway. Predominantly one or two colour schemes works best, like what you have -- red and black. This is simple for drivers to see, perceive, and react accordingly. Three colours can also work if the colours don't clash.

In the earlier part of the last century, warships were painted all sorts of colours and/or patterns in a technique called dazzle camouflage in hopes that they could hide by confusing the enemy.

Here's one example, open seas:

Another example, docked in a harbour:

Comparison:

This is all just in theory and subjective. When it gets foggy, I will throw on a hi-vis work vest for added safety. But I'm going to look into colour coordinated gear with visibility strips when I get my new bike.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Actually, I could have bought my motorcycle jacket in red and black too but I figured I might get a different color bike one day the way i buy stuff. Heck it's bonus time of the year again in a month. :P

You are correct IMO in that while these high-viz colors fall into an order it may not always be optimal to get the top of the list depending on color clash, driver focus, etc.. At least that is what I read a few times on the Internet. Less is more sometimes. ;)

I recently saw a guy dressed like a pirate on a Harley but with a pink hi-viz vest and I was in my car watching and watching since it looked horrible. I could see it causing an accident.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

If you look close, you can see the pin lock on the inside of my visor. It's thin and flexible and has a silicone bead along the perimeter. This works really well for preventing fogging. It is easily installed and removed.
20141226_151711.jpg
20141226_151711.jpg (234.54 KiB) Viewed 1026 times