colder weather fuel economy

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

anyone else fuel economy dropped slightly now the cold weather has drawn in? (northern hemisphere) temps are just about reaching 8degrees C here right now and i have noticed a small decrease in my MPG..
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: colder weather fuel economy

Post by iceman »

Mines holding around 130 mpg (was 141 first fill-up) so still excellent < both using litres in / trip miles. I've never been able to get near what I got to start with as it's gone down but stabilized, although it has been getting colder so that may be having an effect.
My rear tyre pressure was 8 psi under two weeks ago, so that in itself was not helping. The last reading is down a bit but I believe my next fill-up will show around 133.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Sorry, posted in error.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Absolutely goes down. I am always between 95-100 mpusg during the summer. Last fillup was down close to 90 as our temps have been 45-55 F, and I expect a bit more drop before Mantis goes for the long nap.
Attachments
mantismilage.JPG
mantismilage.JPG (70.66 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Anyone know why economy drops? It's been stated some fuel changes in composition during winter months as the additives change to cope with lower temps (in the UK Esso and others change twice a year - once for winter, back for summer) but are there other reasons why mpg drops when it's colder? I thought it was due to having to ride slower, stop/start more often and go slower due to poor visibility, wet roads, congested traffic in cities - is there more to it?
PJDawgs
Year: 2013
Color: Husker Red

Post by PJDawgs »

I used to work for a petroleum pipeline and there is a difference in regular unleaded gas from summer to winter. So it could be once the winter gas starts getting distributed to the filling stations you are seeing that drop. Looking at the dates in the graph seems about right.
http://www.facebook.com/Herbie2PCX
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

PJDawgs wrote:I used to work for a petroleum pipeline and there is a difference in regular unleaded gas from summer to winter. So it could be once the winter gas starts getting distributed to the filling stations you are seeing that drop. Looking at the dates in the graph seems about right.
i know your in the US but i guess it could be the same for the UK as well.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

The difference is mainly from a different mix in the winter fuel that is supplied but there are also physical reasons for a loss in efficiency. Colder air coming into the engine wastes more of the heat energy of the gas just to heat up the air during combustion. The thermal mass of the powertrain wastes more heat energy to get warmed up. The air density you are riding through is thicker. ect.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Colder air is thicker which is better (that's why you have intercoolers on turbo engines) - more air -> more oxygen -> You can use more fuel -> MORE POWER :D , but you need more energy to keep the engine temperature in the optimal range. And it takes more time to reach this temp. So you use more fuel for that.
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

wojtek_pl wrote:Colder air is thicker which is better
Better for max power. Worse for fuel economy.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Agree. You need more fuel if there's more oxygen or else the cylinders/Pistons etc get too hot coz the air fuel mix leans out that could foul spark plugs and cause pinging (worse case).
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

danieljw wrote:anyone else fuel economy dropped slightly now the cold weather has drawn in? (northern hemisphere) temps are just about reaching 8degrees C here right now and i have noticed a small decrease in my MPG..
Shot any more pix of your scoot and countryside which you could post?
Thanx, Fish
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

In mid Novemberr the petroleum distributors start pushing the winter blend through the pipeline. The winter blend makes cold starting easier and reduces emissions. Unfortunately it also reduces economy. If the winter blend were used in the summer it would increase the likelihood of vapor lock.