Security Recommendation for 2015 PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Security Recommendation for 2015 PCX?

Post by Valiant »

I think the big questions here are:
1) Has anyone here had their PCX stolen?
2) Would you say the PCX is a bigger target of theft than say, a Honda Rebel?

Because I'm reasonably sure that the only way to steal mine with my intended setup is by tossing the entire thing into a van or pickup. Thus casual theft is out of the question. It wouldn't be too difficult to cut down the shrub it's locked to, but moving the thing any distance(with the wheel locked up) while the alarm is screaming down the high traffic street is all but impossible. I'd say the big question is whether or not there's even a market for PCX parts in the US.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I think the market for stolen PCX parts is pretty minimal, and maybe even more so in Hawaii (that is where you are from, correct?). Parts are so inexpensive that there can be little to be made on a stolen part. The risk/reward doesn't make sense. I think if they get stolen, it would be more for the joy ride factor.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

That's what I figured as well. Though there are better things to take for a joyride(super sports for one). I'd also imagine the chain would be relatively tough to cut through without expensive and bulky equipment, even if the scooter itself is removed from its spot. IIRC, the interviewed thief found China made chains(kryptonite New York chain) 12mm tough to cut through with an angle grinder and cheap disks.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

At work it's stored in an underground carpark, no security not even steering lock. At home it's stored on a drive chained to the tow-bar of my car (which is no longer used). I always cover it up as even in good weather birds seem to have a liking for splatting it (or the cover!).

I have a grip-lock and Meta disc lock alarm, but I've never used either of them. So far I've not parked-up to go shopping, as I use the push bike for that, but in that case I would use the chain and the other two locks.

A good chain and lock on the rear, say 12mm+, perhaps with an additional disc lock should be more than enough, although locking the steering and covering the key-hole would help deter pass-by thieves.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

iceman wrote:At work it's stored in an underground carpark, no security not even steering lock. At home it's stored on a drive chained to the tow-bar of my car (which is no longer used). I always cover it up as even in good weather birds seem to have a liking for splatting it (or the cover!).
Well, it IS an open spot(where rain and crap can fall on it), and it seems like more motivation to go with my original idea of throwing another cover on top of my Dowco Guardian Weatherall cover, and working the top cover over with sandpaper and slap duct tape all over it. Bird crap only adds to the (lack of) appeal ^_^.
I have a grip-lock and Meta disc lock alarm, but I've never used either of them. So far I've not parked-up to go shopping, as I use the push bike for that, but in that case I would use the chain and the other two locks.

A good chain and lock on the rear, say 12mm+, perhaps with an additional disc lock should be more than enough, although locking the steering and covering the key-hole would help deter pass-by thieves.
Hmm, so not much different than the 13mm setup I'm looking at? I actually like my setup because of the noose chain and the long links allow me to fit an end link through any link in the chain(just need to cut a slot in the nylon sheath), plus it's a brand not sold in stores here(making it unfamiliar to thieves), plus the Squire padlock is well designed to resist bolt cutters in its design and is a perfect fit for that chain. I'd use a steering lock if it already comes with the PCX, but other than that, I feel it might be a bit redundant if a chain locking through the front wheel already stops it from rolling. I doubt the rear wheel would work given that they could loosen the chain by squeezing it over the plush seat, at which point they only have to remove the wheel(takes a while, but then they don't have to defeat the chain and lock). Also wouldn't be concerned about someone starting the scooter up and riding away, as that's not going to happen with the chain wrapped around the front wheel and frame.

The good news is that HPD informs me that both GPS tracking and UV tracking products could be usable in a roundabout manner(manufacturer must be contacted for access to information).

The somewhat good news is that my ownership of the unit apparently entitles me to some right to my assigned parking spot, so it may be possible to drill into the concrete to have a proper floor anchor installed, or use my original idea to place a movable(but damned heavy) makeshift anchor on top of the stall. The bad news is that anything I want to try has to be cleared with HOA first, who are probably getting sick of me at this point :D .
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

There are several removable anchor options that people use in rented properties (still need permission if the land is not yours). Some use small 'fixed' anchors that have the bolts covered when the thick chain is looped through, but there are others that have two parts - one with four bolts into concrete, and there is a screw-on top cover covering all that held in place by the chain - so they need to cut the thick chain to steal the bike, and when unlocked, you can remove the top cover of the anchor and remove the four bolts (no ball bearings used).
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

iceman wrote:There are several removable anchor options that people use in rented properties (still need permission if the land is not yours). Some use small 'fixed' anchors that have the bolts covered when the thick chain is looped through, but there are others that have two parts - one with four bolts into concrete, and there is a screw-on top cover covering all that held in place by the chain - so they need to cut the thick chain to steal the bike, and when unlocked, you can remove the top cover of the anchor and remove the four bolts (no ball bearings used).
I'm getting some mixed results with pursuing that idea.

First off, I kind of get the feeling the property manager is deliberately avoiding me(and my mother). An invitation to call his office leads to a voicemail saying he'll be out of the office all week. He also tends not to respond to my e-mails even regarding leaving objects(like a makeshift anchor) on the stall itself, so I don't know whether I legally own the spot and can do anything to it.

Second, closer inspection shows that the surface is actually asphalt and not concrete. The supplier of the removable anchor states that no anchor would securely be anchored in soft and porous asphalt. The only workaround I can see is to fill the drilled holes with extra bonding material, but at that point I'm not sure if the bonding would be too strong(needs to be strong enough so they can't simply yank it out, but not so strong that you can't unscrew the bolts) and make the removable anchor a permanent one.

Needless to say, HOA isn't very cooperative with solutions, so I may have to just take my chances with the shrub.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Valiant-

Check the documents you got with the condo purchase to know what you do and do not own. This is important to know for reasons beyond securing a scooter. When I owned a condo, I owned only the interior walls. The rest, including the balcony to the unit and parking space were all common property. As an owner, the property manager works for you. If the PM is not responsive try to find an HOA board member for assistance.

Not sure the shrub idea is a good one without express permission of the HOA. Sure, the anchor may be hidden under the bush when you're not there. But, when the scooter is locked up won't it look a little suspicious to have a chain running from the bike to the shrubbery? Also, are you sure that parking near the landscaping (with or without using an anchor) is allowed?

If you're that worried about security, and you won't have a good way to secure the scooter, perhaps it's not a good time/place to have one. The money you don't spend on that will buy a lot of taxi/bus rides.

Best,
Bash
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I suspect that officially, it's not allowed. Unofficially, the board president insists that he doesn't see anyone having a problem with it(plus it was his suggestion, and I have an electronic record of that in an email). My concern is whether or not I would be fined for it if a stupid or brazen thief destroys the shrub while attempting to steal the scooter.

I was also taking the bus for a while, but I typically lose 2 hours a day on that. A car would have the same problem because parking is limited and can take an hour to find a spot. Bicycle is slow as well because of the mile of uphill to the campus.

For the most part, I personally think its unlikely anyone would be able to get away with stealing it even if I don't lock it to anything unless they both soundproof and shield their van against GPS(or quickly remove the unit before getting it to their destination). It would just be a major pain if people were constantly messing with it because it wasn't anchored.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Get a used Genuine Buddy or similar then you won't have quite the same worry over security.
If that goes ok for a year or so then trade up.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Eh, rather than a worry, I'd call it an inconvenience. To be honest, it wouldn't be too hard to buy a small enough scooter to fit in the 70-inch long elevator(fairly small, can't cram the PCX in there). But on the other hand, I don't understand why I have to live in fear and let criminals own the place. It's a little different than walking around with a gold tone Rolex in the bad part of town.

This is in Hawaii in a high traffic street, and I'd be camouflaging the PCX with a ratty cover when I'm away from it. Only time it's shown off is when I'm sitting on it.

On the bright side, the property manager informs me that while I still need approval by the board for a concrete answer, he finds nothing objectionable nor legally impermissible about one of my ideas to buy a car tire, fill it with concrete, and use that as an anchor(based on my estimates of the tire I have in mind, it would weigh upwards of 400 lbs). Much better than the dang shrub, and I don't have to be concerned about anyone fining me or demanding I replace the thing. As well, it wouldn't be too hard to make a second anchor, stack that on top, and give potential crooks upwards of 800 lbs to move, not counting the PCX itself. Would cost about $50 to bump up the thickness of the chain to 16mm(where the UK maker states that it cannot be bolt cropped by the large 42-inch bolt cutters, and people have tried).
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hmm, I'm considering not locking the thing to anything solid at all.

From what I understand, the 2015 model is expected in July, but it may well be delayed for several months. I figure if someone steals it and my insurance pays me out, I can then go for the 2015 model and chain that one to an anchor.

Not really saying I'm TRYING to get it stolen, because I'll still lock it up. Maybe just boldly use that to test the waters in my neighborhood. I'll still lose out about $750 for the chain/padlock, microdot marking, topcase, and cover, but maybe best to find out how much scum frequents my building.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Not sure what use microdots are - if it's stolen, probably by local scumbags where such things won't mean a thing. My new 2014 PCX came with microdots, Datatag and 'magic water or such' in the price, but what use is any of that going to be to stop most thieves - none! It may cause inconvenience for pro's who may need to remove such things (then again, probably not as it will be stipped for parts or moved far afield), but I doubt anything less than thick chains, alarms or tracker is any real use to stop a bike being stolen.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, both the tracker and microdot does nothing to stop thieves from taking it in the first place. However, I hear police for the most part have issues with charging chop shops with any crime because they can't determine that the parts are actually stolen.

I think $200 for such a gizmo might be worth it if it actually helps charge the thieves with a crime and get a few of them off the streets. I also think a pro might not want to deal with the hassle of taking the thing apart, finding and destroying all the markings, and refinishing the parts to cover the damage if it's a relatively cheap Maxi Scooter with almost no demand for parts. Not that they can't, but it wouldn't be worth their time to do it. It's like a Store Manager personally cleaning up human waste from the restrooms, just not worth their time :D.