PCX clutch wouldn't disengage

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

PCX clutch wouldn't disengage

Post by mymitzi »

Not more than a mile from home, slowed for a traffic signal and the clutch stayed engaged. It shuddered for a few seconds and finally
disengaged. Continued riding and all seemed normal. Have put a few hundred miles on the PCX since..... with no further incident.
Thinking maybe the contra spring is getting tired. Maybe a shortage of grease on the inside of the FACE SET, MOVABLE DRIVEN. Any other ideas?
Thanks......
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Re: PCX clutch wouldn't disengage

Post by dankly1 »

Have you done any maintenance in that area recently? Have any aftermarket clutch parts?

My first thought is maybe a broken or damaged spring or a pad with a damaged lining. If it was mine, I would take the clutch bell off and see if you can find any obvious issues in there. Some of the aftermarket clutch bells have a much more aggressive mating surface and maybe an incompatible shoe material could stick?

Let us know what you find.

Cheers
dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks Dankly1 Have contra spring on order.........Thought I'd have dug into it by now......[procrastination] running fine........ for now.
Maybe when the spring comes in?? Perhaps someone has had a similar issue ....and can shed some light on the subject. By the way.....
all parts in clutch are Honda.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

OK,maybe too soon to chirp about it .......Replaced the contra spring and did a few other items while in there. New Drive face and movable, boss and
slides. Didn't bother with rollers since they were in good order....replaced the belt early since it would have been due in 2000 miles. Have mentioned it
before......If you have a 2013 PCX and need a new variator [drive face and movable] the 2015 parts are compatible and so much cheaper. The clutch
is working fine and noticeably smoother. Of course cleaning everything might have done that?? Time will tell.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

My bike is 8 years old and a few years back when I took the clutch out and replaced parts to cater for the 'noise' issue due to bad or poorly greased bearings, the contra spring was still very strong and tricky to get apart and put back the nut. Honda do suggest checking and replacing it in their service manual, but they would wouldn't they.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Yes........not looking forward to doing the contra spring on the Forza. It was a job separating the two "driven" faces enough to load the new
belt....[Forza].... with enough slack to install on the variator/boss. Rode the PCX with those bearings complaining for a long time [55,000mi]
Didn't want to rush into anything! : )
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

mymitzi wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:11 am The clutch is working fine and noticeably smoother. Of course cleaning everything might have done that?? Time will tell.
Nice work mymitzi!. I skipped the contra spring that was included in the Malossi variator kit I installed last year but I will dig back into it soon and finish the job.

Cheers!
dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks......so far,so good.............Found that I had more leverage ,working on the ground with the spring install......[not having a tool for the job]
Believe you will notice a difference with that new spring [performance increase] Mine is more responsive, especially transitioning to hills.
[gears down sooner, so to speak] Hope yours improves also.