D-Day

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

D-Day

Post by fish »

The cemetery is something to experience.

My brother and I were born in Germany to American parents, as my father was with the occupation forces following the war.
Our house was not far from the former prison where the little corporal wrote Mein Kampf. American officers were driven around neighborhoods to select a house - then the German families had 12-24 hours to vacate. My mother stood up to my father - and helped the German mother tend the vegetable garden in the back yard - so that her children could have something to eat.

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: D-Day

Post by Old Grinner »

There are still a lot of WWII relics, bunkers, and lost items buried in the ground. Also there are ponds and other water resources loaded with stuff left behind or just tossed.

Bodies of the missing are still being recovered to this day. Both Russian and German . . . especially east of Berlin.

Sometimes I think how quickly things are forgotten between generations and foolish mistakes get repeated. :roll:
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Re: D-Day

Post by Lafree »

Hi, we have spent the last three days on and around the beaches of Normandy what a site hundreds of millitary vehicles six DC3's in formation then a parachute drop also by Daks , campsites full of people dressed in US uniforms and Glen Miller music playing , roads in lockdown around Arromanches motorways closed yesterday.