PCX 300...?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX 300...?

Post by Taz »

The downtown is out for me as when I sat on one I couldn't move the handlebar to full locks without it hitting my knees. :(

is the x10 already available in the uk as i will be over again in April.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Yes, the X10 350 Executive has been on sale in the UK for a while, initial feedback from owners is positive.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

like the look of the honda,could be my next machine if the deal is good......also looking at the sym 300
:-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

^ Video from there:

gn2 wrote:I have only one two wheeler, the PCX no longer meets my needs and next year I will be buying a 300 to make my A-road commute more comfortable.
Ah, sad to hear that. You're the functional type, so I'm guessing you'll be selling the PCX? What changed with your commute -- more distance or speed?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I can understand Gn2's thoughts on the PCX. I love mine I really do but on my commute I have a choice of route for the last 10 or so miles. I could really do with being able to hit the M23 for this but because of the limitations of a 125 I have a convoluted diversion via country lanes (or through Crawley) For general duties the PCX is more than enough for my needs, and would remain so if my commute was 10 urban miles or under, but I could really do with that little bit extra power and speed. I'm leaning toward the X10 myself and will probably go looking sometime in mid-2014. In the meantime the PCX will be a real workhorse. I'll always thank it for introducing me to the world of scooters.

Bill
Image[/URL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:What changed with your commute -- more distance or speed?
Both really.
Since I bought the PCX I have moved house and changed jobs.
I used to commute 7-27 miles, mostly 12ish (each way) mostly on country back roads, now I always commute 27 miles on faster main A-roads with lots of lorry traffic which the PCX just cannot keep up with.
It never could even when new.
No I don't want to be told about modifications... :roll:
Given that I mostly travel when the roads are quiet it isn't too much of a problem, but I would prefer to be overtaking the lorries rather than the other way round, or at least be able to stay in front of them comfortably.
You're right about me being practical, I only use the scooter for transport and haven't gone out for a "leisure" run on it up the backroads for more than a year.
I still enjoy riding it but fifty odd miles every working day is enough.

Honda UK have announced that it will be available from May next year, I will be booking my test ride...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:What changed with your commute -- more distance or speed?
Both really.
Since I bought the PCX I have moved house and changed jobs.
I used to commute 7-27 miles, mostly 12ish (each way) mostly on country back roads, now I always commute 27 miles on faster main A-roads with lots of lorry traffic which the PCX just cannot keep up with.
It never could even when new.
No I don't want to be told about modifications... :roll:
Given that I mostly travel when the roads are quiet it isn't too much of a problem, but I would prefer to be overtaking the lorries rather than the other way round, or at least be able to stay in front of them comfortably.
You're right about me being practical, I only use the scooter for transport and haven't gone out for a "leisure" run on it up the backroads for more than a year.
I still enjoy riding it but fifty odd miles every working day is enough.

Honda UK have announced that it will be available from May next year, I will be booking my test ride...

Fair enough
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

If you add in the A road dimension then yes for sure the 125 will struggle.

Just a shame that the price takes such a hike for not a major cc hike :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The difference in capability between a PCX and a 300cc is massive though.
I might just opt for a decent second hand job, e.g. my local dealer recently sold a three year old Burger 400 for £3400 and it had less miles than my PCX.
Plenty time to make up my mind, I won't be changing till the end of the summer.
Unless in May the Forza is real cheap with an introductory three year 0% finance deal....
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

gn2 wrote:The difference in capability between a PCX and a 300cc is massive though.
I might just opt for a decent second hand job, e.g. my local dealer recently sold a three year old Burger 400 for £3400 and it had less miles than my PCX.
Plenty time to make up my mind, I won't be changing till the end of the summer.
Unless in May the Forza is real cheap with an introductory three year 0% finance deal....
I would miss the fuel consumption figures though - i saw on ADV Rider guys quoting 45mpg on a Burgman. Im a tightwad so no way i'd be getting something like that.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Sounds like US gallons and a 650?
The newer DOHC 400 Burger can return 90mpg depending on how ridden and 75-80 is not uncommon.
Given that the way I ride the PCX returns circa 90mpg, fuel economy isn't reason enough to stick with the PCX.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Fuel economy is generally overhyped anyways -- I have friends that spent thousands more on a newer vehicle because it was more fuel efficient. Calculating their mileage out, and assuming the used car would last 3-5 years less long since it was 3-5 years older, the extra $5-8000 wouldn't even nearly be made up in the gas mileage savings.

You have to make sure to get the newer Burgers -- the old Burg 650 in the US delivers roughly 45, the old Burg 400 gets around 55, both of which are sad figures. You might as well ride a monsterous Goldwing at that kind of mileage.

Any consideration of something like the Varadero, or do you prefer not having gears? If we got the Varadero in the USA, I wouldn't have a PCX right now. :lol: I'm still looking for a good DR200 to use for my next commuter...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I want a scooter, much more practical.
The Varadero being an adventure bike 125 has absolutely zero appeal.
The only two bikes that interest me which I would consider buying are the Triumph Bonneville SE and the Moto Guzzi Classic V7.
Neither are perfect, the Bonnie has chain drive and the Guzzi has wire wheels.
So given that there isn't a single motorbike I want which meets my exacting selection criteria, it will be a scooter again.
I also like the new Honda CB1100 but it will probably be too expensive to buy and run.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

From what year or model is the Burger 400 better? As there are 2nd hand ones popping up occasionally here, though I think the X10 is lighter. I would like more power for the uphill bit of my commute and to burn off cars more easily at traffic lights ;). At the moment I can just get in front of 'ye average family car'. I did get the bike up to 109km/h indicated the other day on a downhill stretch. But would like that speed on the flat and my commute from early next year will be longer when we move office.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

400 burger was totally revised from 2007 model year.
Ishida

Post by Ishida »

That would be amazing to have the Forza 300 here in Brazil.

We have only low quality scooters under 400cc...

Under 150 we have only Honda Lead/Elite 110... The other ones are all low quality Chinese Scooters like Suzuki that brings a Haojue 125 and calls it a Burgman 125i... We have another local brand called Dafra which makes the same, bringing the same Haojue with minor design changes and sell it with another name (Dafra Smart 125) ...

From 150~300 we have only the Sym Citycom 300i (Sold as Dafra Citycom 300i) as option ... (which in my opinion is a piece of s####)

And 300+ we have only Suzuki Burgman 400 and 650 ...

I think the arrival of the PCX150 will drop the Citycom sales and a Forza 300 would challenge the Burg400 and surely would kill the Citycom 300i... (which is not 300cc but 260)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Picture gallery
Looks great, the scooter's not bad either...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Picture gallery
Looks great, the scooter's not bad either...

Scooter?
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:
Cascanciu wrote:special -and expensive- transmission
New model has conventional CVT with no bells and whistles.
It will probably be cheaper than the old model.
Cascanciu wrote:If Kymco is selling a 33 bhp scooter, I wonder why Honda can't keep up with that.
Kymco aren't, they claim 29bhp for their 300cc engine.
In any case this is peak power and isn't the full picture.
It's how big the area under the graph is that counts... ;)
Don't bet that it will be cheap, gn2. Apparently they want to sell it at X10 price tag level. Even though it will be relatively cheaper than the old Forza, it still won't be cheap.

As for the other thing, I confused hp and bhp, since we use the former and not the latter here, but still, my thought is that the Kymco will be faster. Perhaps the Forza will be quicker at traffic lights (The Kymco isn't specially fast at those) but the Kymco will be an overall faster performer. Ride quality, I have no doubt, that will be Forza territory.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Honda France have already announced that it wil be between €5000 and €5500 in France.
If it gets pitched at the same price as the X10 it simply will not sell.