Factory tires out of round on 2019 PCX

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Factory tires out of round on 2019 PCX

Post by zroger73 »

I bought a new 2019 PCX a couple of months ago that now has 638 miles on it. Since day one, it had a significant vibration that could be felt predominantly from the rear at around 40-50 MPH. It was enough to make my voice quiver and I could see the rear wheel/suspension vibration a bit when riding beside it, but it wasn't so severe that the tire bounced off the pavement. The dealer and I both initially thought it might have just been flat spots on the tires from sitting in the crate/showroom and that they would work themselves out after a while. They didn't.

While adjusting the valve clearances and changing the oil earlier this week, I spun the tires and observed. Both front and rear appeared to be eccentric/out-of-round. I sent the following videos to the dealer and dropped it off this morning. They'll be replacing the tires under warranty. He initially suggested replacing them with Michelins and I would only pay a minimal difference between the factory IRC tires and the Michelins. Unfortunately, he was unable to find Michelin tires that matched the sizes on the 2019 PCX. I'm actually okay with the performance of the factory IRC's (if they can get some that aren't out of round). The factory IRC's on my 2018 PCX are perfectly smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWkNQQQ ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5r7fpi ... e=youtu.be
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Factory tires out of round on 2019 PCX

Post by gn2 »

Tyres probably not fitted correctly.
Chances are they'll take the tyres off then fit them back on.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User

Post by zroger73 »

gn2 wrote:Tyres probably not fitted correctly.
Chances are they'll take the tyres off then fit them back on.
I had that thought as well, but the service manager said tire beads are sized so when they are initially inflated they self-align on the bead ledge and can't be eccentric unless defective.
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User

Post by zroger73 »

I picked up the 2019 from the shop today after receiving new front and rear tires under warranty. The vibration is now gone and it's as smooth as the 2018. The verdict was that the original rear tire was improperly manufactured causing it to be slightly out of round.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

zroger73 wrote:I picked up the 2019 from the shop today after receiving new front and rear tires under warranty. The vibration is now gone and it's as smooth as the 2018. The verdict was that the original rear tire was improperly manufactured causing it to be slightly out of round.
But both front and rear were out of true - so both faulty not just the rear?
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User

Post by zroger73 »

The dealer and I both believe only the rear tire was faulty, but Honda authorized the replacement of both tires.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

If the tire sealant wasn't used while mounting, it's possible the tire was seated unevenly on the rim.

Has an attempt been made to dismount, lubricate the beads and mount the tire back?
I get it that getting a new tire is more appealing... (in some respects)
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User

Post by zroger73 »

We'll never know. I explained the issue to the dealer and sent the videos. He explained the issue to Honda. I took the scooter to him and he verified the complaint. Honda instructed him to replace both tires under warranty. He did and now it's vibration-free.

The original tires were mounted at the factory, so if there was a mounting problem with one or both of them then that's where it occurred.