PCX 125 2015 LED - coolant change

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

PCX 125 2015 LED - coolant change

Post by iceman »

I decided it's time to change the coolant as my bike is now 4.5 years old and done 16,000 miles. According to the service manual, all that needs to come off is the lower rhs fairing and radiator cover, which all came off with no trouble at all - no broken clips unlike with the inner outside covers (CBS reservoir). The trim clips were easy to remove.
The radiator drain bolt is highly visible but I cannot find where the cylinder drain bolt is - I could not match the service manual picture with what I could see looking from underneath the rhs of the bike. Therefore I just topped the radiator up a little and added coolant to the reserve tank as that was bone dry.
Has anyone drained the coolant and found the cylinder bolt - if so, any better guidance / pictures than the manual?
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Re: PCX 125 2015 LED - coolant change

Post by raito »

I let someone else drain my coolant a few weeks ago at just over 2.5 years and only 9344km. He was a mechanic from a shop that does not sell a Honda, AFAIK. Anyways, after only getting a small amount of coolant in the radiator, he found and removed that cylinder drain bolt after putting my PCX on both its side and centre stands. I did not see the bolt myself at that moment tho. But when I look at it now, it seems to be 'this' in the photo attached, but I may be wrong..
Attachments
IMG_20181011_154043.jpg
IMG_20181011_154043.jpg (133.3 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
ImageImageImage
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Thanks! Much appreciated. Comparing things now, I believe the pic in the manual is looking at things from the lhs not rhs as I was expecting, seeing that it said only to remove the rhs lower cover to do the work. Looking at the pic again, it does seem like the exhaust and securing bolts which matches your pic.
I intend to take a look a look at replacing the belt, clutch pads, driven pulley in about a week so I will take a look for that cylinder drain bolt then. Thanks again.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

raito wrote:I let someone else drain my coolant a few weeks ago at just over 2.5 years and only 9344km. He was a mechanic from a shop that does not sell a Honda, AFAIK. Anyways, after only getting a small amount of coolant in the radiator, he found and removed that cylinder drain bolt after putting my PCX on both its side and centre stands. I did not see the bolt myself at that moment tho. But when I look at it now, it seems to be 'this' in the photo attached, but I may be wrong..

It does look like a coolant drain.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

I just got this in my recommended videos, I thought somebody might find it useful. It is in Japanese but is very clear. Removal of the engine-side coolant drain bolt starts at 4:19.
ImageImageImage
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

Dear fellow PCX owners do you know the torque value for the bolt which is used to drain the coolant of the engine? The one which is located near the exhaust.
Thank you.

PS Forgive any spelling mistakes. This is not my native language.
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Lafree »

Hi, be very careful useing a torque spanner on a small drain plug into alloy casing if you over tighten your in big trouble if your not confident enough to tighten it with a normal spanner leave well alone. Lafree.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

Thank you Lafree for your answer.

I own 3 torque wrenches for this reason and i am used to use them according to the service manual.
Unfortunatelly i do not own the 2015 service manual but the old one.
The previous model did not have a drain plug in order to empty the coolant from the engine. So it is not written what torque i must use for this bolt.
It only says 1Nm for the drain bolt of the radiator.

One idea is to undo the bolt using the torque wrenche and see what torque they used to do it.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

One idea is to undo the bolt using the torque wrenche and see what torque they used to do it.
This is not such a good idea, fasteners get stuck after sitting for awhile - don't do that.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/p ... teners.pdf

Torque specs are per sizes and material. But like Lafree inferred, no matter what size bolt it is, an alloy case is different than a steel nut and will gall or strip easily. There no stress on this bolt, don't torque it hard so it causes damage.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

springer1 wrote:
This is not such a good idea, fasteners get stuck after sitting for awhile - don't do that.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/p ... teners.pdf

Torque specs are per sizes and material. But like Lafree inferred, no matter what size bolt it is, an alloy case is different than a steel nut and will gall or strip easily. There no stress on this bolt, don't torque it hard so it causes damage.
Thank you for your answer.
In this case i think it's better to do it by hand and then after it has been in place, use the wrenche for less than a quarter tightening.

As i can understand nobody knows the torque value for this bolt. :cry:
Loht Bai
Color: Grey

Post by Loht Bai »

In this case i think it's better to do it by hand and then after it has been in place, use the wrench for less than a quarter tightening.

As i can understand nobody knows the torque value for this bolt. :cry:[/quote]

This is the torque spec I found in the Service manual:
Attachments
Radiator Deain bolt Torque specs.jpg
Radiator Deain bolt Torque specs.jpg (349.35 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

Thank you Loht Bai for your answer.
This is exactly what my service manual says. Nothing about the draining bolt which is located here :
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

So was the draining bolt the one pictured or next to exhaust outlet? Anyone?
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

ScottDR wrote:So was the draining bolt the one pictured or next to exhaust outlet? Anyone?
Take a look at the youtube clip here above and you'll find your answer ;)
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

2 Fast 4 U wrote:
ScottDR wrote:So was the draining bolt the one pictured or next to exhaust outlet? Anyone?
Take a look at the youtube clip here above and you'll find your answer ;)
Yikes. I blame my phone and old eyes. I see the video clearly on my huge monitor! Thank you.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

For anyone else interested...it IS that bolt down by the exhaust outlet :). I wonder what the total capacity is...looks like a tiny amount!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r