PCX Ride from NJ to CA - PART I

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Re: PCX Ride from NJ to CA - Part I

Post by jburner »

Lived in SD growing up close to Nebraska, heat in July is not that bad, it all depends on the weather patterns at that time. Just know that storms and winds will show up quick. Flatlands = lots of side winds.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

jburner wrote:Lived in SD growing up close to Nebraska, heat in July is not that bad, it all depends on the weather patterns at that time. Just know that storms and winds will show up quick. Flatlands = lots of side winds.
Thanks,
that's what I thought also, the weather will be more of a determinant than climate.
I wish I had more than three weeks but it's not easy to get off work for that long at a time since someone needs to cover for me.

My cruising speed will be about 45-50 mph, not faster. Slower in the hills of course.
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

I'm a new PCX owner and already found how much a slight incline in the road can inhibit speed. Keeping up 50+ on a 55 mph road was not possible as I went up some very moderate hills. I cannot imagine trying to make it over the Rockies, unless you are on virtually empty roads where riding at 10-15 mph is still safe. But as said, some have crossed the continent on bicycles or 50cc scooters so I'm sure it can be done. Part of me asks why? For such a trip a more powerful motorcycle (or scooter) seems to make good sense.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

vito wrote:I'm a new PCX owner and already found how much a slight incline in the road can inhibit speed. Keeping up 50+ on a 55 mph road was not possible as I went up some very moderate hills. I cannot imagine trying to make it over the Rockies, unless you are on virtually empty roads where riding at 10-15 mph is still safe. But as said, some have crossed the continent on bicycles or 50cc scooters so I'm sure it can be done. Part of me asks why? For such a trip a more powerful motorcycle (or scooter) seems to make good sense.
Owning/riding a scooter in the USA makes no sense.
What's for supper?
Fish
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: silver

Post by vito »

Owning/riding a scooter in the USA makes no sense.
What's for supper?
Fish[/quote]

?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

On two wheels, I normally travel no farther than 15 miles from home. On four wheels, I'm squirming in my seat after 150-300 miles. Much farther and I'd rather be between two wings even though I hate flying.

However, I commend the thread starter for his bravery and would enjoy the adventure vicariously!
Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Pearl White

Post by Brando »

Man, I wish I had the adventure in me to do a trip like this. Let's not keep asking him "Why"? Just give him the information he needs, share some tips and advice, and wish him luck. It would definitely be an experience of a lifetime. I certainly hope he can do it and share his experiences along the way.
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Best Tip … Think Twice

Adventure trip or endurance challenge,? one thing for sure it will be a learning experience.Have fun, be safe. God speed.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Brando wrote:Man, I wish I had the adventure in me to do a trip like this. Let's not keep asking him "Why"? Just give him the information he needs, share some tips and advice, and wish him luck. It would definitely be an experience of a lifetime. I certainly hope he can do it and share his experiences along the way.
Well it's a pretty common thing for people to ride across country on small displacement bikes.
It's fun, it's a great way to see the country and it's safer than on a bigger bike in many ways (lower speed, means less energy to dissipate, more time to react, shorter stopping distance, etc).

I like riding it and wanted to do a long trip in a while, especially on this new to me bike.
I guess for those who have not gone on multi-day scooter trips, it's hard to understand the charm of it, and even then, it's not for everyone. I would post some pictures but the site seems to restrict my photobucket links due to small/odd picture size requirement.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

The 2018 scooter cannonball went coast to coast west to east, in 2020 the course is east to west. Check out the details and results of previous years - these aren’t maxi- scoots !! It’s every other year.

http://scootercannonballrun.com/
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

There were several people who have attempted cannonball on 50cc ruckuses and 50cc Yamaha C3. They dropped out after a few days. 50cc is probably a bit too slow to do this in 10 days without suffering immensely being in the saddle nearly 23 hours a day to keep up with pace (some days are 400+ miles) and the average speed for a 50cc Metro at wide open would still only be around 20 mph, especially in the mountains...

Seems a lot of people who own PCX are more of a sanitary weekend (to the store) riders... unlike on advrider...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think just about everything has been said that needs to be said on this subject...somewhere. I know that others have done similar rides, and I am confident that it can be done. However, I would like to add some suggestions, if I may.

I think it would benefit you to upgrade your variator and drive face to a NCY.
Make sure you start off with a brand new belt, keeping the present belt as your backup.
Get a windscreen of some sort, if you haven't done so already.
Make sure you have "The Weather Channel" app on your phone, and use it. The middle of the country has been getting some very unusual and very deadly weather lately. If you can't avoid the bad weather, try to plan your travels so that you have good protection if tornadoes are in the forecast.
Bring plenty of water in containers that you can refill, and drink often.
Some riders/travelers wrote their daily route on their windscreen. You can use tape to write on if you are afraid the marker might leave residue on your windscreen.
Bring a rain suit.
Get a gel seat cushion. Long rides are hard on the behind.

Otherwise, enjoy your trip. I have ridden all over the place in the past on bikes of various CCs, and my wife and I took our PCX150s on a 5 state "touch" trip in a single day, so I know that the PCX can handle it. Hopefully you are young enough that your body can handle it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Pearl White

Post by Brando »

Nice, Mel!
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Thanks to Old Grinner mentioning the days of 55 mph speed limits I've had the song -I can't drive 55 -stuck in my head for days.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Mel46 wrote:I think just about everything has been said that needs to be said on this subject...somewhere. I know that others have done similar rides, and I am confident that it can be done. However, I would like to add some suggestions, if I may.

I think it would benefit you to upgrade your variator and drive face to a NCY.
Make sure you start off with a brand new belt, keeping the present belt as your backup.
Get a windscreen of some sort, if you haven't done so already.
Make sure you have "The Weather Channel" app on your phone, and use it. The middle of the country has been getting some very unusual and very deadly weather lately. If you can't avoid the bad weather, try to plan your travels so that you have good protection if tornadoes are in the forecast.
Bring plenty of water in containers that you can refill, and drink often.
Some riders/travelers wrote their daily route on their windscreen. You can use tape to write on if you are afraid the marker might leave residue on your windscreen.
Bring a rain suit.
Get a gel seat cushion. Long rides are hard on the behind.

Otherwise, enjoy your trip. I have ridden all over the place in the past on bikes of various CCs, and my wife and I took our PCX150s on a 5 state "touch" trip in a single day, so I know that the PCX can handle it. Hopefully you are young enough that your body can handle it.
Thanks for a thorough response, Mel, and others.

Yes, I always use the weather channel app when I travel. You are right, the weather has been freaky in some states so I would definitely need to know what to avoid or what's heading my way.

I prefer to keep stock parts on the bike. I don't need higher top speed at the expense of uncertain reliability and other unintended consequences. I've seen a video where reviewer said the acceleration suffered once he switched to aftermarket kit. The stock top speed is more than I need since I don't ever plan to push it to those speeds.

Yes, I am bringing a new belt, and as mentioned before, a new Michelin city grip tire, obviously tools to replace both.
I always carry enough water. I know it can be a survival necessity in long stretches of desolate deserts, e.g. between 29 Palms and Parker, AZ, where there are no services for 100 miles.

As for gel seat, didn't feel the need for it, actually like the firm stock seat, seems to get me less uncomfortable after many hours in it. The cool thing about the PCX is just how many positions one can assume while riding it, I can stretch my legs, move back on the seat, etc.

Lately I've been researching the bear protection and feel a bit worried camping alone in bear country, including in brown (grizzly) bear areas such as WY, MT, ID, etc.

For example, I still don't know what I would do and what the official/expert advise on how to behave if a bear comes to the campsite and starts sniffing around the tent at night.

Some say lay still and wait for it to walk away, some say start talking and making noise. Some advise calls for yelling and shouting at it, trying to appear larger, others recommend to not make sudden moves or noises to not startle it... It goes without saying that I will take all the passive protective measures to not attract a bear in the first place (e.g. having no odors/food around) but there are plenty of accounts of bears killing people who were sleeping in their tents.

Also, if I snore at night, what would be an effect on a bear? :)

I am 39, so still in good shape. Good point, as we get older, our travel preferences definitely change.

As for the rain suit, I have never needed one in South Western states and so I don't have much experience riding in or deal with extended rainy weather.

I imagine in a good downpour, any significant time of riding will result in being wet under the rain suit similarly to riding in a regular jacket. The scooter shield protects the legs, so that eliminates the need for rainproof pants/boots, somewhat.

What is everyone's experience with rain gear?

As for directions, I am installing a gps mount on the handlebar for day-to-day navigation and if it's raining, I can always memorize up to 5 turns and if it's not enough, will stop and look at the phone. I am sure many stretches will be staying on the same state route for an entire day, especially farther west.

I am taking an extra spark plug, although I think the probability of needing it is about 0.01.
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

On a hot sunny day (yesterday) wind and gusts up to 135 kph blew 23 railroad cars off the tracks just a few miles west of where I live.
No matter what the temp. is - if you get wet, and you will, you will get cold! Having lived, traveled and camped in the mountains for much
of my life I would say that bears will be the least of your problems.
Have fun and good luck.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

As an added note I've heard that some of the Interstate Routes through Indiana are horrific.

Really bumpy and repaving is long overdue.

Maybe someone else can chime in here and affirm that.

I got it from a good source who just recently drove out to Illinois. o_O
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I mentioned the NCY variator set for one reason only, but first let me say that many of us have the set on our bikes and they are still running great because their name rides on those parts, so they are made with quality. But on to the reason I mentioned it. When you start to climb, like you would in Colorado, your top end speed will drop like a rock. Pretty soon you will be doing 45 mph wide open. With the added 10 mph you will get from the kit, you can keep up with traffic when you need to.

As for an aftermarket windscreen, it to will help your top end, because your chest acts like a brick wall to the wind and that can tire you out very very quickly, and slow you down.

My brother took his Honda 550 across the United States after Vietnam and he told me that he wished he had a windshield of some sort. Your choice though. I have done long long rides too many times, so now it is the young people's turn.

Enjoy your trip but keep us posted, bears and all. Remember that Denver gets snow in the summer some times. (I have been in every state except Alaska, many times in my life. There is a lot to see but be prepared for anything.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Mel46 wrote: Remember that Denver gets snow in the summer some times. (I have been in every state except Alaska, many times in my life. There is a lot to see but be prepared for anything.)
Not since July 1872 and even then it didn't settle! :) (Lived there for 30 years) Now, up in the mountains a little different! :)