PCX Ride from NJ to CA - PART I

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

PCX Ride from NJ to CA - PART I

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Hey fellow PCX owners.
Just wanted to share and ask for recommendations.

I am riding my 2018 PCX from Washington, NJ to Castaic, CA during the 3 weeks of July.

What routes would you recommend? I imagine the Eastern part of the country can be quite humid in July. I was thinking to perhaps go through Michigan peninsula and then take the Northern route through MN and into Montana...

How about Nebraska in July, is likely to be hot, windy?
What route would you take what site would you visit along the way?
I plan to camp, stay in hostels and hotels here and there.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: PCX Ride from NJ to CA - Part I

Post by big bear »

id stay off the interstate highways as light as the pcx is you could get blown off the road if a large truck passes you
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Good luck with that but honestly I hope you realize the challenge you are about to undertake. It's not something to be taken lightly or underestimated. :geek:

It's a serious ride. I went from CT to CO (came in through Denver, visited points south to Mesa Verde, and back north to Pikes Peak) and back home on a Yamaha 650 twin in two weeks. It was in the late '70's and the speed limit on I-70 and I-80 was Nixon's 55 MPH.

I encountered all kinds of weather. It does get hot in the plains. It's not something I'd personally ever attempt on a motor scooter unless it was something that was at least 300cc and could hold 80 MPH for miles on end. Not that you would travel in excess of the speed limit but would need to have a cushion of performance if needed. I'm finding that today people are commonly traveling at 75 to 80 MPH on the Interstates anyways and throwing caution to the wind.

I had a 2017 PCX for over a year. Great machine but the seat wasn't a fit for me. Bottom line was I stayed to back roads or regular roads with speed limits no higher than 50 MPH. So the machine being capable of 60 MPH gave me a bit of a cushion of performance. I ride my Zuma 125 now on the same roads . . .. Never took either one of them on an Interstate or Limited Access Highways and never would.

So if you are limiting yourself to 3 weeks and are willing to go the "old slow" roads with 35 to 50 MPH speed limits you may find your self in a bind. Maybe not. It all depends upon how long you can stand being in the saddle each day and what the weather and traffic conditions will be . . . not to mention your health.

It's a noble adventure and I'm not trying to rain on your parade so-to-speak but it's not something I would do on a PCX. If I needed to get the machine out to CA I'd either have it shipped or trailer it behind a car.

If you ever get a chance to watch "Long Way Round" or "Long Way Down" it may give you some insight but those guys (whom I sure you'll recognize) were on serious machines.

Sorry I can't help you with routing suggestions. The routes I traveled out west are IMHO above your PCX's design parameters.

Whatever you decide keep your family and friends in mind and listen to what they have to say too . . .. ;)

Plans are plans and not all plans are put into action. It's OK to back out if reason and logic outweigh youthful exuberance and idealism. :geek:

Keep us posted though as you go through your process with this . . .. It will be very interesting for sure! 8)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

It only took one ride when I first got my PCX on a fast crowded interstate in a metro area for me to be convinced that I would never really do that again except to jump from one exit to another, but never a long distance trip. I had two trucks go by me that blew me 2 feet to the side when I wasn’t ready for it. I don’t feel like riding on the edge. Please be careful and make sure you are wearing a complete riding outfit with hip /elbow /shoulder and back protection . Not to mention a full face helmet by one of the major manufacturers, with a good fit.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

An obvious part of planning is to make sure you space out your gas stops or bring along at least a gallon gas can for reserve. The I system is not something I’d even attempt on the light PCX. Navigating with GPS or your phone is easy enough if you tell it to avoid Interstate roads.
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

A real adventure. Check out some of the long distance runs completed by guys on Honda Ruckus. It’s only 50 cc so they kept off interstate. There was a Korean guy,Wan, that drove around the US for months and put it on YouTube. I think it’s called Wan’s Ruckus adventure. He may have routes listed.
Good luck!
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

A cross country trip on any open two wheeled vehicle can be a real challenge. Doing it with a 149cc scooter with limited storage capability is unthinkable, in my opinion. I've done trips of over 2,500 miles on various motorcycles, and all were both fun and challenging. Going days on end in 95 plus degree weather can be more draining than you might imagine (once it gets over about 93 degrees, the air blowing on you actually makes you hotter, not cooler). Summertime is construction time, and being far from home, on unfamiliar roads and encountering dangerous road conditions due to ongoing construction is not a fun time, and certainly not when the "detour" might involve use of a high speed road that the PCX cannot handle safely. I admire your spunk, but I caution you to really think about this trip before embarking on the journey. As an aside, if you had a more powerful scooter, then my recommendation would be quite different, as others have also noted.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

R ..U .. CRAZY ???
July..HOT as HELL, POURING DOWN RAIN, THUNDER, LIGHTNING and Crazy assed Truck drivers in that Pouring down Rain cutting you off and not to mention your poor ass and back.. Good luck going over the Rockies in that 150 !!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

New Jersey heh...like on the turnpike? :|
I truly admire your enthusiasm, but would admire you more if you changed your mind.
Every so often I'll hop on the parkway just for several exits. The speed limit is 55 but that's ignored by most. 95% of them run up your arse @ 65-70 then weave in and out of lanes just to Get Ahead. They're Maniacs. Pure Tunnel Vision. They do not See You. If by chance they did they wouldn't care anyway. They're on a mission - Get there and Get There FAST!
No place for me and my shadow, I mean PCX (I did have a Shadow though).
I want to ride to enjoy the ride not battle the field I'm on. That gets tiring very fast - All Over Your Body.

Getting back to your asking....
I know of no shortcuts, stops, fueling stations etc for your venture. Perhaps Triple A (AAA) can be of assistance in planning your PCX/Motorcycle "off highway" "side road" trip to your destination. I wish you more than luck if the roads not taken are in fact taken !! PLEASE, STAY HYDRATED AT ALL TIMES !!

BTW, are you planning on traveling alone or with others?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

So a couple of Brits could ride coast to coast on old Cubs (https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures) as part of an Alaska to Argentina run and the Scooter Cannonball is every other year, but a PCX NJ to CA is a no-go? I disagree.

It's all about the prep and the level of discomfort you're willing to endure. For starters, I'd be upgrading the variator so 70 is doable. That will help with any mandatory Interstates you get stuck on as well as making mountain roads much easier. However, I live in the Rockies and there are plenty of 45MPH roads that I've taken the PCX on so I'd think you'll be fine with proper route planning (maybe check out some of the Cannonball routes). Make sure you carry some extra gas and a quart of oil, maybe make sure you're capable of doing oil changes and basic maintenance so you can handle smaller issues on the road. If you think you're capable of a belt change, get a spare one and make sure you have the additional tools you need. Look into extra seat padding like an Airhawk. Plan your clothing appropriately - maybe get some stuff that washes easily in a hotel sink. You'll also need stuff for all kinds of temperatures and weather conditions (Nebraska is wind and thunderstorms) - for example I have a cooling vest for the really hot days and I carry layers on every ride because the weather in CO can get cold very quickly. Lastly, have a disaster plan - like what will you do if the bike blows up or you have a crash? Do you know anyone along the way who can help if something happens?

Bottom line is, if you want to do it then go for it - just not half-cocked. Think it thru, write it down, then think it thru again and fix everything you missed the previous time.

PS: If you decide to run thru Colorado, ping me and I'll see if we can meet up somewhere.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Pearl White

Post by Brando »

The Road is Life | Honda Ruckus | eGarage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8t5WWYctI

Fixed ;) WN
(Click the youtube button and grab only the group of letters and numbers AFTER the = sign. Place that grouping (your vid as example: hm8t5WWYctI) between the youtube inner brackets. This: [youtube][/youtube] Then preview. See it? Great! Then click to submit your post). BTW that video is Very Inspiring! Loved it! I tip my lid to him

Okay back on topic then...
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Ok, I guess I had to clear some things first. I'm not exactly a newbie to cross country riding. In 2003, I rode a bicycle from LA to NY via Canada and rode a 110 Honda Elite from Tennessee to Los Angeles. I also put 10s of thousands of miles on a 50cc metropolitan and 110 Elite all over South Western US.

150 is plenty of speed and power in comparison. I can jump on the freeway and cover great distances if needed but obviously that is not the point.

There are a lot of riders who go around continents and the world on bicycles, 50cc scooters and anything larger.

I plan to do the scooter cannonball next year from Maine, probably on my Elite 110.

The PCX has 1100 miles on it. I am taking a spare belt and a new rear tire. I can repair most small issues and at this mileage, I don't expect the engine to "blow up".

The range on the PCX is 175 miles before it even hits the reserve. I plan to carry a small msr metal fuel can but honestly, with this kind of range, it's easy to space out the gas stations.

I do plan to install a garmin gps on the handlebar.
I have a rack and taking a 60L dry bag, also a large backpack on the fuel tank.

Gear and all other safety precautions are obvious and have been addressed long time ago.

Colorado is beautiful and I think I might go through it, unless I end up covering more of Wyoming.

Against bears, I will be buying a can of bear spray and carrying another form of protection/or two.

So curious, do the central states like Kansas and Nebraska get hot in July?
Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Pearl White

Post by Brando »

Go for it. Be careful and enjoy. Be sure to share your journey with us!
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Sure you can.....
You'll be using a much more reliable scooter than these two used to coast to coast.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988742&highlight=scooters+america

Fish
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

WhiteNoise wrote:New Jersey heh...like on the turnpike? :|
I truly admire your enthusiasm, but would admire you more if you changed your mind.
Every so often I'll hop on the parkway just for several exits. The speed limit is 55 but that's ignored by most. 95% of them run up your arse @ 65-70 then weave in and out of lanes just to Get Ahead. They're Maniacs. Pure Tunnel Vision. They do not See You. If by chance they did they wouldn't care anyway. They're on a mission - Get there and Get There FAST!
No place for me and my shadow, I mean PCX (I did have a Shadow though).
I want to ride to enjoy the ride not battle the field I'm on. That gets tiring very fast - All Over Your Body.

Getting back to your asking....
I know of no shortcuts, stops, fueling stations etc for your venture. Perhaps Triple A (AAA) can be of assistance in planning your PCX/Motorcycle "off highway" "side road" trip to your destination. I wish you more than luck if the roads not taken are in fact taken !! PLEASE, STAY HYDRATED AT ALL TIMES !!

BTW, are you planning on traveling alone or with others?
Thanks, I am going alone.
Yes, there are roads and there are drivers that make me feel unsafe and uncomfortable. I avoid those kind of roads.
Watching traffic in the rear view mirror and wearing a bright vest helps.

I have looked at "best motorcycle roads" for particular states, and will look again to see if I can incorporate them into my route.
Perhaps I am spoiled with empty roads and highways in the SouthWestern deserts.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

fish wrote:Sure you can.....
You'll be using a much more reliable scooter than these two used to coast to coast.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988742&highlight=scooters+america

Fish
Yeah, I'v seen their report when they were riding.
PCX is definitely a more capable machine.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Brando wrote:The Road is Life | Honda Ruckus | eGarage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8t5WWYctI
Yeah, I was showing this video to my co-worker last night who also was puzzled that this could be possible.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

big bear wrote:id stay off the interstate highways as light as the pcx is you could get blown off the road if a large truck passes you
Never had these problems, for some reason. Not on Elite 110, not even 50cc Metropolitan.
On a bicycle, yes, the blast is unpleasant but it's nothing like something that could "blow you off the road".
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Longest ride for me was on a Honda CB350 from the west coast thru the Canadian rockies and back.
Pretty buzzy ride as I was full throttle most of the time
On the way home came across a fellow on a Honda 90,riding the paved shoulder- he tells me the winds in the Prairies were tough.
Simpler times 1974,the roads were crappy but the horsepower of vehicles were a fraction of what they are now.
VW bugs and no Audis, transport trucks ran 300 HP instead of 600 Hp today.
Al that being said I'm somewhat envious of your spirit of adventure.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Google “[state name] climate by month”....that will get you all the data you need on each state.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI