New member, with a question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

New member, with a question

Post by vito »

I just bought a new PCX150 and hope to pick it up and take it home today (or tomorrow if the weather today is terrible as predicted). I wanted a second bike to my Goldwing, and decided on a scooter in great part because my wife, who has ridden with me as a passenger for many years, said she would ride if the "bike" had an automatic transmission. After looking at Vespa's (expensive, too high a seat, dealer too far away), a Yamaha (she didn't like the cramped position of her feet) and then the PCX150, the choice was easy. Ironically, I had a Honda Elite 125 (or was it 150?) back in the early 1980's and remembered how much a scooter could be to ride.

My question: realistically, what is the top cruising speed that this scooter can do? My wife is hoping that we can go for lunch rides together. I don't mind slowing down, but the speed of the scooter will determine what roads we can take it on. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Re: New member, with a question

Post by xixon »

personally I try to avoid the freeways/highways as the PCX was not built to be a highway cruzer.

That being said, the PCX can easily maintain 65 MPH but I typically take those back roads were the speed limits are lower

BTW:welcome to the PCX forum
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

I don't do freeways on my '19 PCX150, but on arterial highways it'll cruise all day at 55-60. I consider 65mph to be about practical tops. Mine is not fully broken in yet...

Jeff
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

My intention was the same, limit riding to secondary roads with 55mph limits. Thanks for the answers, that was just what I was hoping to hear.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Hi Vito, welcome! The PCX can keep up on 55mph roads no problem, even uphills, with a normal weight rider.

I advise against highway riding. While I have done a lot of that on my last PCX, I was young and stupid and wouldn't do it again. :lol: The PCX is just too light and gets blown around too much.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Congrats!! :P You bought the right scooter!! Your wife will bypass the crush and fall smack 'n Love!
As others have suggested, stay off them highways and it'll be smooth happy riding. She'll roll on the throttle while you roll back. No biggie at all. 45-50mph is the PCX's sweet spot but she can accel if and when necessary.
My question is.....
Who's gonna take the saddle more...you or the intended rider? :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

This all started out as me buying a second bike, a smaller and lighter bike for quick rides and errands. I actually was leaning toward one of the new 400cc Husqvarna bikes, but then remembered what fun I used to have on my old Honda Elite scooter. And that's when my wife started showing some interest. My guess is that we'll have to fight over who gets to run the errands to Target and the supermarket on the scooter! When we go for rides together, she will always get the scooter because there is no way I would even let her try the Goldwing.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

The PCX holds 50+ speeds like a champ. Really surprising as my previous 150 was most comfortable at 40-45. As others have mentioned though, it’s better for secondaries than it is for highways. It’s so small and light it gets knocked around a lot by the wash from trucks. As for cruising with other bikes, I’ve done many a group ride and the hornet keeps up just fine, and has better acceleration up to 30 or so.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

I have a new 2019 and used 2018 - each with about 550 miles. The 2018 tops out at about 65 MPH on flat roads with no headwind. The 2019 will almost reach 70. On a slight grade they won't gain above about 50-55 MPH and will lose speed on higher grades, but will maintain 40-45 MPH even up steep hills. I weigh 155 lbs.

Despite the 2019 being all new from the frame up, if I closed my eyes I couldn't tell much difference between the 2018 and 2019 in terms of power, sound, feel, handling, and ergonomics. However, one notable difference is that the 2019 is much more stable (or less twitchy) in windy conditions or in turbulent air from other vehicles. Basically, the 2019 feels more confidence-inspiring on the highway and the engine improvements do indeed result in slightly better acceleration and top speed despite having the same horsepower rating.

Opposite of most other vehicles, I was surprised that my fuel economy averages about 105 MPG on low-speed back roads and through neighborhoods. When cruising at 50-60 MPH, it drops to about 95 MPG.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Call it "cheating" if you will, but my 2013 model has an aftermarket variator and drive face, plus 13 gram rollers so now it tops out in the 70's. I don't take it on freeways, but I use the extra umph to keep up with traffic on inclines. The street at the entrance to our subdivision has a posted speed limit of 45 mph...right!...like you are going to keep your classy Maserati at that speed...no one does around here. In any case, there is an incline in the road from the previous light to the light at our subdivision. Cars wind up going up that hill at 55 mph, and they don't want to be behind a scooter that bogs down trying to climb the hill. Mine keeps right up, and sometimes even gets ahead of a BMW or two.

After your new scooter breaks in at around 1500 to 2,000 miles it should be able to keep up with that kind of traffic. If not, come talk to us. We always have opinions on how to improve it. :roll: :lol: 8)

Not as nice as the new ones, but here is a picture of mine with all the improvements, just to show you that there is a lot that can be done on them.
My_2013_PCX.jpg
My_2013_PCX.jpg (239.79 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

I rode it home from the dealer today, getting home from the 25 mile ride just moments before the rain started coming down. The ride immediately brought back my memories of riding the Honda Elite 150 back in the mid 1980's. A really fun ride, and no trouble keeping up 50 to 55 with the traffic around me. I did notice a real decrease in power going up a slide grade, but I can live with that. I'm just at 200 pounds so I know the scooter is working hard but getting the job done. During this first ride, the indicator said I was getting 93.5 mpg, which I find amazing (my Goldwing gets a pretty steady 38 or 39 mpg).

One thing did make he laugh. Under the seat is what Honda refers to as a "tool kit". But what I found inside this little vinyl bag was a helmet cable wrapped in foam rubber, period. Not a tool in sight. What a joke. And I think I may ask the dealer about an optional windscreen. The little fly screen on the scooter does nothing at all, and even at just 50 to 55, I'm really glad I was wearing a full face helmet.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Look for aftermarket windshields here, the Honda windshield just isn’t very good and it’s exorbitantly expensive.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

One of the problems that you will run into right now is the limited aftermarket items for the 2019 model. It takes a little time for them to catch up with the market. That being said, Givi makes a good aftermarket everything... windshields, tailboxes, tunnel bags, etc. Check online. You may get lucky. There are other manufacturers as well. Just know that you may have to wait or bite the bullet and buy a Honda one, which isnt manufactured by them. Just rebadged.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

All the best of travels on your new PCX!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

"Tool kit" on a Honda CB500X is almost the same....helmet cable, fuse puller and emergency sleeping pad..
Fish
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

I remember reading about the different changes made through the years when I was first researching the pcx150 before I bought one. There where slight changes made to the motor. I think I read about the 2016 having had a governed top speed.
That being said, our 2016 tops out at 62 mph. And it won't go any faster than that. I have tried.
But most of the roads I travel have a posted speed of 55, so it does that with no problem. I love riding it back and forth to work.
Twelve miles each way.
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Thanks for all the advice. When I picked up the PCX150 and rode it home from the dealer, about 30 miles or so, it was primarily on 55mph roads and I had no problem even while I was trying to be gentle with the throttle on this new scooter. I've already had my wife on it several times in a big parking lot, giving her a mini version of the MSF Basic Riders Course, and so far all is going well. A few more lessons then we will do some quiet street riding, then will venture into general traffic around town.

Had I bought a larger scooter I am convinced that she would never have really given it a try. My guess is that she will learn to love this fun scooter (I've taken it to the supermarket a few miles away several times rather than riding the Goldwing, and it is a hoot to ride!). But once the PCX is second nature for her, then we can think about possibly the Forza in the future so that she could enjoy the full exposure of riding even on the Interstate highways in our area.

A relative asked me if I was glad I bought this Honda, after I had first started out thinking about getting the Vespa 300, and I said not in the least. The actual riding experience is far better on the Honda, and that may in part be due to the larger wheels, even though the Honda's engine is half the size of the Vespa. And for shorter people, there is no comparison. The Vespa is just too high for someone like my wife at 5'4".
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Glad it's working out well for you . . .. :D

If you do decide to get a Forza 300 or similar type scooter later on to ride 2-up with your wife I would recommend that you ask her to sit on it before you buy it. Some pillions can give the passenger a sense of being "up high" looking over the top of the rider rather than being on the level and looking over the rider's shoulder.

Recently I took my oldest daughter for a ride on my XMax 300 and although she really enjoyed it she remarked that she felt much higher up than on my sport touring bike and the seat was much wider. The wider seat and side panel configuration also influenced her reach to the foot pegs.

FWIW I had no problem holding 55 MPH (and it would do 60 MPH) on my 2017 PCX when I owned it. Great machine with great fuel economy. 8)
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

If we ever move "up" to the Forza, it will not be for two up riding, but for my wife to ride while I ride the Goldwing. And while the PCX has no trouble keeping up about 55, there is no way I would venture onto Interstate roads or certain other highways, where the speed limit is 65 or 70 mph, and where traffic routinely is traveling 75 or 80 mph.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Cycleruss,

If you decide to try to improve the top end on your bike, here are some things you can do.

1. If your belt has over 5,000 miles on it your top end will go down.
2. The stock variator was chosen by Honda for economy, not higher top end. Buy a NCY variator and drive face.
3. You may as well go ahead and change your rollers as well. Get 13 gram rollers. They will improve your takeoff time/speed.
4. If you do not have any kind of windshield except that original excuse for one, buy at least a mid height one. It will divert some of the wind that hits your chest, which will improve gas mileage, top end, take off, and the battle of the love bugs.:-)

The best deal on NCY parts can be found a corsportusa.com

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-201 ... ke%3DHONDA
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150