scooter revival

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

tyler.swett
Year: 2013
Color: black

scooter revival

Post by tyler.swett »

PCX sat in my brothers garage for 2 seasons!
Any thing i should know before trying to revive them?
Any advise would be appreciated
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: scooter revival

Post by Jge64 »

Change all the fluids, the spark plug and charge the battery… Then go have fun…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
accyuklad
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010

Post by accyuklad »

ye get rid of the old petrol as it be off and do above aswell

but don't bother charging battery it be long dead just buy a new one

also what mileage as it done as belt might be past its limit if you cant get past 60mph or struggle to even hit 60 then you need a new belt

make sure you change transmission oil aswell

also check the tyres to see if theres any cracks on the side wall or on the thread of the tyres if so get them replaced and check pads if they low
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tyler.swett wrote:PCX sat in my brothers garage for 2 seasons!
Any thing i should know before trying to revive them?
Any advise would be appreciated

Charge the battery and give it a go I say...

If it starts check the tyre pressure and oil level a run it around the block :lol:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The PCX has FI, which means there's no nasty fuel sitting in a carb float. That's a good thing for you.

Siphon out all the fuel and fill with fresh fuel. Put it up on the centerstand and see if it'll run by jumping the battery from a car. Make sure the car is off, cars often charge with their alternators at 14+v, and the current output can be too much for the PCX's lighter electronics.

It will take a few tries to start. I'd let it crank for 5 seconds at a time max, wait 30 seconds, and try again. If it doesn't start after 10 tries, you'll need some more advanced troubleshooting.

Once it starts, accyuklad had a good point, make sure the tires aren't dry rotted and are free of cracks. Fill them to spec on the tire, and carefully take it for a small ride. Drain the oil, and ride on.

The scooter will eventually need a coolant and final drive oil change too. I wouldn't worry about the brake fluid unless the bike is over 5 years old.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Battery might be ok, no point changing it till you try it.
Get it charged up and see how it goes.
HOT TIP when removing battery, undo screws hold leads out the way and put screws back in on both terminals BEFORE you lift the battery out.
The terminal posts are hollow and have loose nuts in them which fall out and get lost.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Your profile says 2013. If that is the one you are talking about, it is a very good scooter, and it doesn't need much to keep it rolling. The newer ones have LED headlights so their circuits are a bit more touchy when it comes to jump starting. I love my 2013 models because they don't need much to keep going. I have done normal maintenance on them and had zero problems, except for the bad clutch bearing on my wife's bike at 10,000 miles.

How many miles on the bike? Regardless of miles, if it sat for 2 years, change the oil, like others have mentioned. When you don't know the history or condition, change the fluids.

I once purchased a bike that sat in a barn for 6 years. I had it trailered to the dealer and serviced. They changed the tires and belt, and changed the fluids. They pulled the spark plug but it was brand new so they checked the gap and reinstalled it. In the end, it didn't cost much more than a first service, but it ran beautifully and was safe. (It actually only had 2 miles on it, but that is a story for another time.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
accyuklad
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010

Post by accyuklad »

can clutch bearing be fixed at a garage or is it best just getting a new clutch and im starting to wonder are honda using cheap crap bearings mine as 15000 and bearing is noisy

I brought off ebay the xenon 35w bulbs they make it look modern cant stand yellow effect
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is the link for the assembly that contains the clutch bearing. It is easier to replace the entire assembly than just the bearings. Unfortunately, in the UK I understand that the cost for this assembly is way way more than the $30 it costs in the United States. I believe someone there checked on the cost and it was somewhere along the line of £130 ...yes, ridiculous. Still, you might try ordering online. If I remember correctly someone on this forum ordered from Partzilla and got this assembly way cheaper than locally.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/23205-KWN-640
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers