Service intervals/costs

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wilsonsteve
Year: 2019
Color: white

Service intervals/costs

Post by wilsonsteve »

Good evening, folks.
I'm about to become the owner of a '19 Forza 300 - in about two days' time - and would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea of service intervals and a rough idea of what I have to expect to pay for the services.
Cheers, Steve
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Service intervals/costs

Post by gn2 »

If its the same as mk1... 1st service at 600 miles then next one at 8000 or a year then 8000 miles or yearly intervals.
Cost depends on where you are and what service it is.
16,000 mile ones are more expensive because the drive belt needs changed and valve clearances need checked..
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
wilsonsteve

Post by wilsonsteve »

Thanks, gn2. I should have remembered the part location plays in costs.
Mark2260
Color: Blue

Post by Mark2260 »

Hi, yeah the owners manual says oil and filter at 600 miles then mine says oil every 8k and filter at 16k intervals, spark plug every 8k.
Will do it myself as it says just oil and filter at 600m so I'm not paying Honda £100 to change my oil, plus an afternoon off work because they don't work a Sat morning.
YBR125 07, CG125 07, CBR300R 15, CB500F 66, current: Forza 300 19
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

If it's under warranty it's sometimes worth it. Honda found a flaw in both my Vision 110 and PCX that would have cost > £300 to repair each time. Because the bikes were still.under warranty, it was free. Head races in both cases.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
G'Bru
Mark2260

Post by Mark2260 »

Hi,
I see that point but if I chose to do my own servicing and the first oil change and something like head bearings fail as you have said, I dont see how Honda could refuse the warranty repair as i followed there service schedule. It states an oil and filter change at 600 miles and nothing else, I would even doubt they would take the time to use a torque wrench and check fastners, in the UK a product has to be fit for purpose no matter what the warranty is. I think its down to personal choice, i put nearly 12k on my last bike and only had the first service done at a dealer, the rest I did and any other work.
Good luck with your choice.
Mark
Mark2260

Post by Mark2260 »

Hi,
I see that point but if I chose to do my own servicing and the first oil change and something like head bearings fail as you have said, I dont see how Honda could refuse the warranty repair as i followed there service schedule. It states an oil and filter change at 600 miles and nothing else, I would even doubt they would take the time to use a torque wrench and check fastners, in the UK a product has to be fit for purpose no matter what the warranty is. I think its down to personal choice, i put nearly 12k on my last bike and only had the first service done at a dealer, the rest I did and any other work.
In fact my CBR300R shit its crank at 9500 k but that was covered under warranty, again I only had the 600m service down, the rst I did, of course they did have a problem with the crank bearing.
Good luck with your choice.
Mark
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mark2260 wrote:Hi,
I see that point but if I chose to do my own servicing and the first oil change and something like head bearings fail as you have said, I dont see how Honda could refuse the warranty repair as i followed there service schedule.
Good luck getting warranty repairs on a Honda two wheeler without a Honda dealer service history.
In the UK they are not obliged to honour the warranty if you do the servicing yourself.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Very good idea to ask about service intervals and local service costs ----but an even better idea is to do this while still deciding which scooter you are thinking of purchasing.
Plus, if planning on DIY-ing the servicing, look at a service manual to see what to expect - as part of your decision making. Which scooter would be easier to DIY, etc.

Fish
Mark2260

Post by Mark2260 »

I called Wigan Honda today for a quote on the first service, £120 for an oil and filter change and as she said a quick look over the bike, and as there is no late evening or Saturday morning service, i would have to take a half day at work so I either loose holidays or cash, which brings it close to £200 for a &*^%$ oil and filter change. I would sooner have the 1 year warranty and be able to do all this myself as they do in America, and you wonder why there referred to as stealerships. I will look at an independent garage, as long as they are VAT registered and use Honda parts the warranty stands.
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

I'm not much of a tinkerer with my bikes. I budgeted for between £100-£150 per service in the UK for my PCX at 600, 4000, 8000 miles from what I remember. This for me matched the 2-year warranty period. At the 8,000 mile service I needed the front brake caliper and pads replacing and some other work which brought it up to £200. So all in about £450-£500 over the first two years to make sure the warranty booklet got stamped. Then the £300 head-race job was done for free at 8,000.
I live near the coast, ride on miserable roads, and the bike lives outside in all weather. I change the oil myself once between each servics and try to keep vulnerable parts greased as best as possible.
My dealership can be frustrating (partly because they're so busy). After one service, they told me that there was a nail in the rear tyre but said they were too busy to do anything about it! I had to ride away on it and ended up booking it in elsewhere to get the wheel repaired, which was a bit nerve-wracking riding around on for a couple of days. I've no idea how long it had been in there.
Now that the warranty is up, I'll probably use a small dealer/workshop where you speak to the owner who's also the main mechanic. The service desk - workshop divide with Honda can be frustrating at my dealership, which is a huge shop. So half way through the service I got a call from the service desk who tell me that the bike has a warranty failure, but they're unable to tell me if I can ride it away until they phone the workshop, then call me back. That's the kind of institutional problem you can get with the dealership in myu experience. But then the warranty system just worked and that proved a saving.
Last edited by gbru2505 on Wed May 15, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
G'Bru
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

When I was looking into purchasing a PCX, first of the new LED style circa '14, the 2 year service costs + tax came to best part of £1000 - not worth it on a scooter costing £2700 OTR. Even if something major went wrong, probably much less than £1000.
My PCX is now 5 years old, done 18,000 miles and is used at least 14 days a month all year round to commute to work - so far only had the rear tyre changed once, three oil changes, front pads once (some work on the caliper as with UK weather and rain/salt it the pistons seized up a bit), and that's all - still the original plug, air filter and belt - soon to change those + clutch bearing now the weather is better.
Only had the first service at the dealer and that cost £90 for 30 minutes oil change and their coffee break.
Brendan
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Brendan »

iceman wrote:When I was looking into purchasing a PCX, first of the new LED style circa '14, the 2 year service costs + tax came to best part of £1000 - not worth it on a scooter costing £2700 OTR. Even if something major went wrong, probably much less than £1000.
My PCX is now 5 years old, done 18,000 miles,
Only had the first service at the dealer and that cost £90 for 30 minutes oil change and their coffee break.
When you had your first service done at the dealer, was there any mention of adjusting the valves? Did you ever check or have them checked?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I had my valves checked about 90,000 km ago. They were good. The engine runs nicely. I see no need to have someone mess up my engine.
Brendan
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Brendan »

Wow, Mr. Jones, no grass growing under your scoot.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mark2260 wrote:I will look at an independent garage, as long as they are VAT registered and use Honda parts the warranty stands.
For cars yes, but not motorcycles/scooters.
Mark2260

Post by Mark2260 »

Well it seems there was a mistake in price for the first service...... it was £120, its now £160 ($205), apparently 120 was for the 125 version, Honda made them put the price up before xmas, so Honda controls the dealerships rates?, ^&^%$$ thieves, so nearly 5k to buy then try and stiff you more, I think personally I will take my chances.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Brendan wrote:
iceman wrote:When I was looking into purchasing a PCX, first of the new LED style circa '14, the 2 year service costs + tax came to best part of £1000 - not worth it on a scooter costing £2700 OTR. Even if something major went wrong, probably much less than £1000.
My PCX is now 5 years old, done 18,000 miles,
When you had your first service done at the dealer, was there any mention of adjusting the valves? Did you ever check or have them checked?
No, just oil change and inspection - basically if it starts and runs fine then they do nothing. The service costs did not include any extras that may need doing during the service above what is covered in the book, so expect it to cost more if they happen to 'spot' something.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mark2260 wrote:Well it seems there was a mistake in price for the first service...... it was £120, its now £160 ($205), apparently 120 was for the 125 version, Honda made them put the price up before xmas, so Honda controls the dealerships rates?, ^&^%$$ thieves, so nearly 5k to buy then try and stiff you more, I think personally I will take my chances.

That’s what I have always done. It’s worked OK for 40 years. I could have bought half a dozen bikes with the money I’ve saved.

Other opinions are available though.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

davenowherejones wrote:I had my valves checked about 90,000 km ago. They were good. The engine runs nicely. I see no need to have someone mess up my engine.
What vehicle was this for?