Talk me into or out of buying a 300 Forza?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Luvmytaco
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Talk me into or out of buying a 300 Forza?

Post by Luvmytaco »

Hey all! First time posting. As title says. I have been riding many years and have owned all types of bikes. Currently I have a vstrom 650 but it’s getting harder to swing the leg over and ready for no shifting required. I live in the states and I do ride free way occasionally. Should I look for something larger or will this be my ticket? Locally there is a 2014 Forza 300 priced at 3500 USD. And I know I should not ask on a Honda forum....2015 Tmax private owner $7000 USD. Both have around 1000 miles on the clock. Thanks in advance for your input!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Talk me into or out of buying a 300 Forza?

Post by easyrider »

I personally think its a great all around bike.Very reliable easy on the maintenance and light enough to push it around the garage with no sweat. Can park up close to buildings and have enough power to handle all roads and highways. Does hills very good depending on your weight. I never rode two up on the bike but think it will handle two smaller folks OK. As far as the interstate goes , I would not think thats its best feature . I would say its doable but wind and truck turbulence may be annoying. Its best handling speeds are 55-65 mph although I believe it is interstate rated. It can do 70mph but not without some noise and jittering but not too too bad depending on the road and terrain. I love mine and find it to be a near perfect bike for my needs.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Not really an interstate scooter, but I ride my 2014 Forza at 120 kmph sometimes (75 mph). Scary on those little wheels but very exciting until a big truck is on your ass.

Tmax is faster?

Where are you?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Forza is OK for Interstate, but not wicked fun. I can easily do 75, and around here that keeps me going with the flow of traffic. The scoot is WAY more fun at back road speeds. I'm pretty much always two-up and close to (if not burying) the suggested weight limit.

Remember that, while billed as a 300, the Forza is actually 273 cc. The Yamaha X-Max is 293 cc so may have a bit more kick for the highway. Forza is light (428 lb.) if you are comparing it to a Burgman 450 or 650, but it sure isn't as maneuverable in the yard (or on the road) as a PCX (XMax is 392 lb, so a tiny bit lighter. The TMax runs 488 lb, as one might expect from a 500 CC class machine). Roll it around yard or driveway to see if it fits your idea of easy.

You could also scour Craigslist for a low-mileage Silverwing Last year was 2013. It wold certainly be more capable for the interstate, but it would probably not be as light and maneuverable as the Forza or XMax.

Lastly, $3500 is easier to swallow that $7000. Unless highway performance was of paramount importance, I'd go with the Forza. Do sit on it for a bit, though. Some of us have had issues with the seating position. If you fit, great. If you are not comfortable, well, there are things you can do, but maybe sitting on something else is in order.

As you suspect, I am a bit biased. My Forza is like a magic carpet. My wife and I just love it.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

279 cc not 273cc. Those 6cc make a difference.

But me going on a 20 pound diet would probably make a bigger difference. I did that once and people thought I had AIDS or something. I like food too much.

My Olympia riding gear weighs 20 pounds.

Ride Naked for top speed. Not pretty though.

I saw a naked man riding a Harley in Boston Bar one day. Actually he had a speedo on but the rolls of fat covered up the speedo.

I want to try a Burgman 400 some day.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The V-strom is a high old beast, maybe just get a bike with a lower seat?

The Tmax is good but its much more expensive to run than a Forza.
Double the cost... twice as good? Probably not.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

FWIW the 300cc range scooters IMHO are a great all around value. :D

It took me many years to realize it. I worked my way up over the years from a 90cc to a 1200cc machine with many other machines in between . . . not to mention other machines I had the opportunity to ride along the way. More recently I even had a Genuine Roughhouse R50 just to see what the scootering thing was all about. It sold me on scooters. What a concept! ;)

The 300's are fast enough to do stints on the highways, have pretty good under seat storage, are economical to run and insure, and yet are light enough to move around for parking or get up on a center stand.

The bigger machines have more "roar" but at the end of the day I think you end up spending more money for speed and power you don't always get to use and over all they cost more money to have. Also they can be just plain heavy to manage physically. :roll:

Brand or marque as you most likely already know does make a difference on quality, service, and parts availability.

I have a vintage KLR 650 and it's getting to be more of a challenge to get my leg over that saddle also. :lol:

Everyone in the U.S. and Canada who is a Honda fan and likes the mid/maxi scooters is patiently awaiting the arrival of the newly redesigned Forza.

That said, in the mean time, the 2014/2015 Forzas are a great value . . . look good . . . and can be picked up used with low mileage. Just make sure the fuel pump and electrical system recalls have been tended to. BTW you may be able to see them advertised for less than $3K used or you can negotiate. Some people have circumstances change in their lives and they need to make a quick sale. ;)

Others can chime in here about the seat comfort and any accessories that may help one tailor that to their personal needs. :geek:
Luvmytaco
Color: Red

Post by Luvmytaco »

Thanks for all the replies! If the weather cooperates I will take the forza for a spin tomorrow. I did stop by the selling dealership to do a quick walk around the scooter and IMO it’s the perfect size for me. Has 860 miles on the clock has a few minor blemishes, asking $3560 USD. I did not do any negotiating at the time as I was working. I work for a hospital in material management. Anyway sales person said they would be interested in taking a look at the V-Strom for a trade. I’m not putting much faith in a decent trade but if it’s close to a even I will pull the trigger and if the test ride is to my liking. Since the dealership is 10 minutes away from my house. I would like to hear what you guys have added to your
Bikes to make it more functional. That’s what owners forums are for using your credit card!!!!! Cheers!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Luvmytaco wrote:I would like to hear what you guys have added to your
Bikes to make it more functional.
Fuel. 8)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

If you think the cavernous under seat storage won't be enough for your needs then perhaps consider a new luggage rack and top box. 8)

Not sure what part of the U.S. you are from but I put deer whistles on all my rides just in case they do work. :o o_O :? :lol:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

55 liter top box because the underseat storage is actually two pretty small spaces.

I tilted the bars down a few degrees.

The Forza is bad, it causes rain every time I look at it. And do you know how many tires I have worn out in 100,000 km? It also causes you to lose many hours of work. It also has a hard time going past coffee shops. It causes the darkness to come sooner. The money you have disappears from your wallet.

Hookers would be cheaper and a less painful death of unknown diseases. My Forza has attracted bears and big horny sheep. Oddly enough dogs fear it. Forest fires stay away out of professional courtesy. Beware of young women selling farkles.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I went past the same RCMP car three times on the highway and he ignored me. I feel so unloved.

There was a mudslide on the 4 lane divided TransCanada Highway and I looked at it twice doing loops..
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

The most practical 2 wheel toy I ever had is the Forza 300. With a top box and windshield its like a mini touring bike to me. The ability to have multiple foot positions is a godsend. I might not ever go back to motorcycles due to this reason alone ( well the shifting part also).

People are giving them away, seen ones with top box and windshield installed and ABS and mint go for 2995.00 asking. Thats only a few hundred more than what same conditions newer PCX150s are going for? Whats gives. If you're in the used market and the difference between a 150 and 300 is 500 bucks I def would take a 300 unless the weight of the scooter is a no go.
:geek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

87112 wrote:If you're in the used market and the difference between a 150 and 300 is 500 bucks I def would take a 300 unless the weight of the scooter is a no go.
Sound advice.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Luvmytaco wrote:I would like to hear what you guys have added to your
Bikes to make it more functional. That’s what owners forums are for using your credit card!!!!! Cheers!
Added golden adjustable brake levers (good) and mirrors from a CB500X - which have a longer stem but are otherwise identical to the Forza mirrors ( a very, very, very good addition!), and reflective red wheel stripes (improved side visibility at night) and large white HONDA lettering to the panners (made me feel less old, more cool), removed & sprayed the underside of the stock screen matte black (liked it!)

Fish
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I too replaced my levers with these. Made in China, but I can hardly tell the difference between these and the fancy expensive ones at Revzilla for example.
https://www.amazon.com/FXCNC-Racing-Adj ... merReviews
:geek:
WI_Hedgehog