2019 PCX Puig Windshield - Review

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

bugaboo
Year: 2021
Color: Silver

2019 PCX Puig Windshield - Review

Post by bugaboo »

Dear all

As promised, here is my new Puig Windshield for the new (2019) Honda PCX 125 (UK & presumably European models)

I'm starting a new thread as a continuation of viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9635
The reason for this is accurate indexation, maybe people googling will find it useful in their decision to buy one.

Some thoughts after the first ride:
*The windshield is quite tall - I am 1.75 m (5.7 feet) and i can only juuust see over the top of it. I till take some getting used to.
*Please don't get it black. I got it "light smoke" and it is already tinted enough. Anything more and I wouldn't be able to see potholes in front of me, just the direction I'm heading to. This will take probably some getting used to!
*Installation is easy. More on that & thoughts in the picture.
*Wind hit reduced considerably, although minor buffering still present (could just be side-winds).
*Excellent material quality - feels sturdier and more pleasant than the Givi (the model for the older PCX)
*The lower securing bolts from Honda are baldy designed, it's a rubber grommet with a screw inside - mine was already warped and quite loose. I made it work nonetheless.
*The windshield looks great! Adds so much presence to the bike.
*I don't know if it's the leg cover straps or what, but I noticed some squeaking when turning the handlebars while stationary. Might go away.

I will come back with an update as I put miles on the bike. I certainly hope that I will get used to the light smoke - I have a LOT of potholes to avoid on my way to work and would hate to have to concentrate at spotting them through the tinted glass.

Enjoy the pictures! I didn't put detailed steps for removal of stuff - it's not rocket science & instruction received are clear.

Delivered package, tools, no beer because it's cold, just a cup of tea.
IMG_1724.jpg
IMG_1724.jpg (208.19 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
The patient.
IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg (224.78 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Front fairing removed.
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg (247.61 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Old screen removed. Good riddance.
IMG_1727.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg (255.85 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
New screen out of the packaging - sexy mama.
IMG_1728.jpg
IMG_1728.jpg (183.21 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Back view
IMG_1730.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg (227.75 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Alignment with the factory screws is impeccable!
IMG_1732.jpg
IMG_1732.jpg (166.65 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
The one ordered from Motea comes with the hand deflectors assembled. Please make sure to tighten them - mine were rather loose.
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg (114.71 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
I think the need to spend actual money on translators, this has probably been done by Google translate on Internet Explorer.
IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1735.jpg (206.59 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Side hand deflectors have a unique design that includes double tape & strong plastic velcro to secure the hanging bits to the bike.
IMG_1736.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg (83.46 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
How this looks pressed against the bodywork.
IMG_1737.jpg
IMG_1737.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Finished product from all directions.
IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg (217.36 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
IMG_1739.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg (163.7 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
IMG_1740.jpg
IMG_1740.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg (143.68 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
IMG_1742.jpg
IMG_1742.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Responsibly getting rid of the box.
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg (149.87 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Leftover screws for the hand deflectors - spares.
IMG_1744.jpg
IMG_1744.jpg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Someone asked before about handlebar turning - it goes almost to the very end - literally a few millimetres left before it hits the windshield. Not a problem at all - well designed.
IMG_1746.jpg
IMG_1746.jpg (188.7 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
As the hand deflectors go over the indicators ever so slightly, whenever you indicate there's a nice reflection to remind you the indicators are on.
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg (148.05 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
If you press the pedestrian crossing button, go on red anyway & make everyone wait in front of an open road - may you poo a random sized cactus everyday.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Re: 2019 PCX Puig Windshield - Review

Post by cnikonpete »

Thanks for such a comprehensive post,is the original screen removal very similar to the older models?
What about your speed,any difference? If I do get a taller screen, it will have to be shorter than this one, as I would be looking through it, so your account will save an expensive mistake.
bugaboo

Post by bugaboo »

Yes, removal is quite similar, no major differences. Quire more straightforward actually.

One word of advice, be careful when putting the fairing back in - I managed to break one of the top clips - no biggie but still a pain in the derriere.

I will report on speed once I ride for a little while.

I also took a mental note of my former MPG which averaged at 106.3 - my former PCX with the GIVI screen was returning 121 like clockwork.

Time will tell!
If you press the pedestrian crossing button, go on red anyway & make everyone wait in front of an open road - may you poo a random sized cactus everyday.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

cnikonpete wrote:If I do get a taller screen, it will have to be shorter than this one, as I would be looking through it, so your account will save an expensive mistake.
Is there an issue with looking thru the windscreen? The Honda Tall screen isn't all that tall and I can easily view over the top of it while riding. My last scoot was a Honda SuperCub and the aftermarket screen on that was a bit taller so I always looked thru it rather than over it. I never noticed any issues from looking thru the screen rather than over it.
Racer83L
Color: Bronze

Post by Racer83L »

Thanks for the review. Can you post where you got it from. I wish there was a USA dealer that stocked it. I want transparent with hand guards. Having a hard time finding a store that will take my money and ship the item.
Around town- 2019 PCX 150
Longer runs/2 UP- 2006 Honda Silver Wing 600
bugaboo

Post by bugaboo »

@Eiron - when living in a rainy city, looking through a windshield is not the best. Rain forms beads which (especially in evening time) distort light & everything else. I used to have a Vespa GTS300 a long time ago, and their big windscreens are full ones - never felt safe during the rain. Always hesitant to what's actually in front. When rain is on the visor, the brain can ignore it & form clear vision by what's between the droplets, because they are so close.

@Racer83L here's the link where I got it from: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wind-screen- ... 2749.l2649

Motea (the seller) has multiple accounts for different countries. Make sure to check them all for potentially better shipping rates. AFAIK, they all come from Germany anyway.

--------
UPDATE on the screen

Not a happy bunny I'm afraid. Had my first post-install commute to work. 11 miles of 20-30-40 miles an hour.

*Wind buffeting is a problem and a major one for that matter. The screen, although quite high, protects the front of the helmet, but then it slants in a reverse "V" towards the sides (look at the above pics). Wind just hits the sides of my head, particularly around the eyes. It would have been massively uncomfortable if I had no sunglasses today. With the helmet visor closed you can feel like a couple tiny hammers keep knowcking the side of you helmet at all times. Maybe it's my height - but it should't act like that. The previous Givi had a slight angle at the very top - like a curve that pushed air over the helmet at all times, inlcuding for the sides. This one doesnt. Wind also buffets on the sides and makes its way to the chest.

*Light smoke screen. WHY did I do that??? It's so awckward! Light changes are tough to adjust to. If I am negotiating a massive roundabout, go under a bridge or a cloud shileds the sun, the eyes need a few secs to adjust. I can see in the distance over the windhield, but not what's under my wheels. Those few seconds make me hesitant which I hate. A confident rider is a safe rider. Please go for the clear if you order one. They also make it in Dark smoke which is basically black. That's suicide for this height of windhsield.

*Accelleration and noisee are massively better.

All in all, my first experience was not so good. My clear Givi is back-ordered with the dealership. I wanted to cancel this weekend and get my money back, but I'm happy that I didn't. All my respect to PUIG and their wind tunnels, but real life seems to be quite different.

I will post the Givi pictures when it arrives (no install as the dealer will do it). If the Givi is like the old one I had, it will be light years better than the Puig.

Sorry, Puig - I just don't think you're there yet.

It may be that my height and posture are incompatible & the Puig may work for you. Once the Givi is installed, more than happy to let someone in London have my old for a symbolic amount. Drop me a line if you're interested.
ChrisP
Color: red

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks for this review, I really wanted to buy Puig, but was waiting for Your test. I'm Your height, so it will not work also for me. Are You sure the dealer has in stock GIVI to a new model? It's still not available on Givi site...
bugaboo

Post by bugaboo »

The Givi is not in stock yet - still says "Article under manufacturing" on their website. Hopefully shouldn't be too long.

Glad my review helped - I didn't want to dishearten anyone...
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

i feel your pain, high for coverage, leads to looking thru.....thats why for three bikes now, I'll buy something I can look over comfortably, and use a deflector wing (using a puig now) to adjust the flow over the helmet.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I am perfectly happy with my stock shield. In fact, made it a bit more visible this week.
Attachments
20200419_045752.jpg
20200419_045752.jpg (310.81 KiB) Viewed 2202 times