Service brake adjustment

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

bugaboo
Year: 2021
Color: Silver

Service brake adjustment

Post by bugaboo »

Hey,

Whenever I took my old PCX (& the new one, only once so far) to the garage for the recommended service, I am always surprisingly pleased to the adjustments done to the brakes.

They feel tighter & the lever travel time is always pleasantly reduced.

After a few hundred miles in London though, stop go, stop go, don't run over that guy, watch the cyclist, change lane and so on the brakes inevitably feel more rubbery and too "loose".

What can I do to replicate the "fresh service" feeling? What do they do at the Honda shop?

Is it just tightening the nut at the back brakes? Eventually, I'll run out of thread I think...
Do they really disassemble the back wheel & clean the shoes? Surely it's too much pain for a regular service...

What about the front brakes - how do you adjust those?

I don't mind spending a half-hour every 2 months or so and make adjustments.

Thanks for your input!
If you press the pedestrian crossing button, go on red anyway & make everyone wait in front of an open road - may you poo a random sized cactus everyday.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Service brake adjustment

Post by fish »

Correct - the rear brake is adjusted by that nut.
No adjustment possible to front disc brakes - other than replace the pads if well worn thin.
What can you do, periodically?
Adjust the rear brake nut to reduce travel of your rear lever ( when out of threads, time to replace brake shoes)....keep a check on front pad thickness.
Fish
bugaboo

Post by bugaboo »

Thanks for the advice @fish.

Any idea how many turns is reasonable?

Thanks!
If you press the pedestrian crossing button, go on red anyway & make everyone wait in front of an open road - may you poo a random sized cactus everyday.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

There are a number of youtubes on adjusting the drum brakes on a scooter.
Me - I put scoot on center stand, rear wheel off of ground, screw the nut in until I feel/hear the rear wheel dragging - then back off a turn or 2 to remove any drag from the brake at the lever's resting position.
Most scooters have a line on the rear drum area, and a pointer on the lever. When pointer reaches the line on the wheel hub it is time to remove the wheel and replace the brake shoes, because your brake shoes are worn out.
If you're finding the rear brake is wearing rapidly - maybe add a bit more front brake when stopping?

fish
bugaboo

Post by bugaboo »

That's perfect! Exactly what I was looking for!

Your help is much appreciated!