Full face helmet that fits in 2019 PCX?!

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Full face helmet that fits in 2019 PCX?!

Post by RideLondon »

Hi all,

I recently bought a brand new 2019 PCX 125 to replace my previous 2015 model that was tragically stolen...

I am very disappointed by what I perceive to be a serious design flaw / oversight on the 2019 model compared to previous years. While the underseat storage has apparently been expanded, the shape has been changed such that my full face helmets (AGV K5 and AGV K3-SV) no longer fit inside. The large raised portion on the bottom of the seat prevents the lid from closing.

I have contacted Honda about this issue and they were able to offer zero in the way of assistance. I really do not want to buy a top box. Can any 2019 owners here please advise on a good full face helmet I can buy that will definitely fit inside the underseat storage?

Many thanks in advance all.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Full face helmet that fits in 2019 PCX?!

Post by fish »

Forgot to take helmet with, when shopping new scoot....
and now peeved at Honda?
A visit to dealer who has both helmets and a 2019 PCX in the house would work, now. Our helmet size likely not your helmet size.
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I used to use my helmet leash that came with my 2017 PCX to hang my FF Shoei RFR off that post underneath the seat. When you close the seat it prevents it from being unhooked.

It hung off the side of the scoot just above the foot board. Worked fine.

The only way a thief would get the helmet would be if they were motivated to cut the chin strap.

Don't the new ones come with a helmet leash (strap)?

If so then maybe that would be a "work around" for you not being able to store your old helmets in the storage area.

I've since traded in my PCX but the only helmet I had that would fit under that seat was my HJC CL5 3/4 open face. 8)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

My Burgman 400 had what owners called a cavernous underseat space - but neither of my modular helmets would fit. (XXXXL HJC / XXXL Nolan - with the enlarged shell, rather than just less padding) I had to post photos as proof to all the disbelievers.
Fish
romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by romnation »

Old Grinner wrote:I used to use my helmet leash that came with my 2017 PCX to hang my FF Shoei RFR off that post underneath the seat. When you close the seat it prevents it from being unhooked.

It hung off the side of the scoot just above the foot board. Worked fine.

The only way a thief would get the helmet would be if they were motivated to cut the chin strap.

Don't the new ones come with a helmet leash (strap)?

If so then maybe that would be a "work around" for you not being able to store your old helmets in the storage area.

I've since traded in my PCX but the only helmet I had that would fit under that seat was my HJC CL5 3/4 open face. 8)
Which size RFR are you using? I was considering getting that helmet. I'm currently using the Shoei RF-1200 and it fits under the seat just fine (Albeit a little tight), but has a bit too much wind noise for the PCX's riding position. The RFR won't fit under the seat at all?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

They don't make the RFR anymore . . . at least as far as I know.

But Shoei does make what they call an RF-SR.

So here is a link to the Shoei web page. Read the product descriptions, check out some reviews, and narrow down the choices. Check out other brands too!

The RF-SR does suit a more "upright" riding position according to the video below.

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmets/rf-sr.html

If you go to a Honda dealer that sells the helmet brand/model you want and find one that fits/works for you there maybe you could ask to see if it will fit under the seat of a new PCX on the showroom floor before you pay for it. That way you won't be disappointed and will know what to do next time. You may pay a little more than "online" but at least you'll know the helmet fits both you and the machine. Just another option to think about. But at least the helmet you use now does fit according to what you say. I'll agree that different helmet models are designed for different riding styles. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Which size RFR are you using? I was considering getting that helmet. I'm currently using the Shoei RF-1200 and it fits under the seat just fine (Albeit a little tight), but has a bit too much wind noise for the PCX's riding position. The RFR won't fit under the seat at all?
I just realized you have a 2015. They did change the shape of the under seat storage area on the new 2019 models from what I understand. :roll:

Then maybe it would be a good idea to fit a new helmet to your 2015 at the dealership (if you really want a new helmet). Just clean out the old McDonald's wrappers and empty soda cans. . .just kidding! :lol:
BlakeyD
Year: 2019
Color: Grey

Post by BlakeyD »

What size helmet are we talking about? I'd be more concerned about an XL not fitting than a 3XL.
reidel0890
Year: 2020

Post by reidel0890 »

I am in a similar situation in that I'm looking for a full face helmet with the correct size and shape to fit in the PCX. I have recently bought a 2020 (the day before our quarantine lockdown), but when I prepared my LS2 Valiant (FF399) ahead of time I forgot to do further research. I was originally looking for an LS2 Metro EVO but I had to settle with the Valiant due to lack of stock in my area.

My first question is: Does the LS2 Metro EVO with a size of L or XL fit well in the PCX compartment? (I can always look for one again now that I'm more mobile.)
My second question is: Does anyone have a set of measurements of the luggage compartment? I have yet to measure it myself. I'll do that at the earliest time when I find my tape measure.
My third question: Any recommendations of a helmet that's under 230 USD with as good as the safety qualifications of the LS2 Valiant or Metro EVO? I'm even considering a 3/4 or Open Face Helmet for those casual rides when I'm not going to go above 40 kph, or for when I have a pillion rider.

To put into context why:

The environment in my country is generally not as friendly nor secure for leaving property in the open. Even if it's in a parking lot with security personnel, you can not trust them to keep your property secure. There's been precedent where a parking facility was sued for allowing property theft including but not limited to the motorcycle itself. So, hanging the helmet with the loop is not an option.

Besides, it's much more convenient to hop off the PCX and trade your day pack with the helmet in the compartment then go about your business.

As for my Valiant; I'm still using it, and I'll probably get a tunnel bag to double as my helmet bag to keep it in when going to the office. The tunnel bag will double as spare luggage space in various other situations.

Also, this is my first motorcycle/scooter. I'm still struggling with getting up to speed with appropriate gear and riding technique.
reidel0890
Year: 2020

Post by reidel0890 »

Erratum: I meant the LS2 Stream EVO (FF320) rather than the LS2 Metro EVO.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

As a general rule, helmets with fairing pieces, low chin projections and flip-front helmets tend to be the ones that don't fit.
Try putting helmet in facing forward, facing rear, facing left or facing right.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I had the impression that the new Honda PCX would be able to fit many different types of helmets because of the change in frame design. On my 2013 I tried once and haven't tried it since, not even with the new helmet that I have.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.