Trike whilst it's hot.

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015/Forza 300
Color: Pearl White

Trike whilst it's hot.

Post by erisaman »

A little over 2 years ago, a fellow member posted a thread revealing his PCX150 TRIKE. His opening sentence told us “Before the haters get started I needed to trike it due to a disability” and then added “I would love to to find an axle kit ….”. His conversion was in the form of two outboard wheels, retaining the original rear wheel in situ.

In fairness to the forum community - there were no ‘haters’, and in fairness to the poster, the conversion was all his own work. Kudos to him.

I would now like to reveal my offering - it’s on a Forza but, as has been mentioned previously - there are kits available for the PCX and Yamaha scoots etc. If you are interested - I can provide fuller details. This is an axle kit with an engineered differential passing drive to both rear wheels, an electric-activated reverse switch and dual brake rotors and callipers on both wheels.

I am in the UK, I have no formal mechanical training (I was a sweet/candy shop retailer all my working life) and the kit was transported ‘door to door’ by air freight from Bangkok - taking just 7 days, including Customs’ clearance.

I should add that a local Honda Dealership, seeing pics of the conversion, asked if they could display it in their showroom. It now has pride of place in the window - overnight security provided by steel roller shutters. The Sales Manager came to collect the trike, riding it to the showrooms. I was amazed - 70mph on the M4 and he was in his element.

His customers have shown great interest, as indeed, have all my neighbours …. and me? In my mid- seventies, having never ridden anything more than a pushbike many years ago, I am totally in love with riding this - I feel safe, the trike is stable - and it turns head wherever I go. Luvving it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 05.13.09.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 05.13.09.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 3028 times
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 05.00.55.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 05.00.55.png (2.13 MiB) Viewed 3028 times
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 05.02.01.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 05.02.01.png (2.19 MiB) Viewed 3028 times
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 04.59.46.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 04.59.46.png (1.97 MiB) Viewed 3028 times
If you don't stand for something - you'll fall for anything.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Trike whilst it's hot.

Post by GeorgeSK »

Wow! That looks great, and totally professional. Enjoy your ride!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife has been wanting me to trike her PCX for quite some time now. Unfortunately, I think that both of our riding years are coming to a close now. It is a hard thing to admit, but my medical situation, as many know, is causing me to rethink my remaining years. My wife says that I am thinking of this problem as a death sentence. As a matter of fact, I am...but we will see.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Really cool looking ride!

And it's white too! :D

I see more trikes on the roads lately in my area and I think a lot of life long riders who are developing issues that interfere with them operating regular motorcycles or scooters are finding them as a salvation. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak sometimes. . .life is cruel. :roll:

From what I've been told the rear tires on trikes seem to hold up a very long time but the front tires wear out faster due to the wear being focused on the center line. On a regular bike or scooter you lean as you steer causing the front and rear tire wear to get distributed more fully but on a trike they tend to flatten out in the center from being upright all the time. :|

So I'm guessing a tire with a flatter tread design would be a good choice vs a tire with a sporting profile and steep angle. As time moves on maybe keep your eye out for a good value 120/70-14 replacement for the front. But you already knew that right? ;)
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

I like it! My first concern would be the DOT requirements, having gone through
a sh*t load of issues with my 'kit car'.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (546.12 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

The UK lets you ride THAT?

I thought they had a hissy fit just for putting on a slightly bigger tire?

How is it in the corners?
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Many thanks to my fellow members for your much appreciated comments. And that kit car is no ordinary 'kit' car, it's beautiful.

Mel46 - I've been saddened by your concerns regarding health and your longer term riding and we've talked about trikes often via PMs. One comment, or prediction, you made, has rung very true in these recent weeks - the cost of converting a scooter to trike is equal to buying another scooter. Is it worth it? Time will tell - it has been a pleasure doing the conversion, not unlike a jigsaw when everything slots into place to make a beautiful picture. When the kit arrived, it was like something from Ikea - seemingly endless number of parts - then they all found their way into the final product.

One daunting task is complying with the road legalities - but to get to the top of a ladder, you need to take that first step - once past that, there is another and maybe even another - but the top is achieved in due course. I've not met any hissy fits yet - and when I've met corners, on the road or in paperwork, I deal with them with respect and that seems to straighten the path with no dramas - yet :).

I'm going to make a note of the advice regarding tyre wear - at average of 2000 miles per year I'll not remember what has been said when it's time to re-tyre.

Many thanks to you all once again.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Many thanks to my fellow members for your much appreciated comments. And that kit car is no ordinary 'kit' car, it's beautiful.
Would I be correct in thinking it's an AC Ace replica?

Or should I say Shelby Cobra? V8 in there?

Really nice car indeed.

Like the "E Type" Jag it just hits the nail on the head . . .. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

NADman wrote:I like it! My first concern would be the DOT requirements, having gone through
a sh*t load of issues with my 'kit car'.

That is lovely. Any more details?

Some of the front/mid section look more like Austin Healey than Cobra.
NADman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by NADman »

Thanks for nice comments.
Sebring MX from 'Classic Roadsters' out of Fargo ND. It took a few years of part time work to get from
literally thousands of parts the kit came with. Dear friend who passed away the day he finished the body
and paint work. RIP RandyO.
50/50 front-rear weight. 2200lbs. Warmed!! over 383, 5spd and 4.10 ford 9 inch.
Notice new wheels.
Attachments
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00024.JPG (303.48 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
sebring mx.jpg
sebring mx.jpg (583.15 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

That is lovely.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Absolutely beautiful car! Does it have any type of top, just in case you are out and about and it starts raining?

My brother had a MG-A and it was beautiful, but what a pain to keep running! I had friends who had Austin Healey 3000's as well, and they really looked stunning. I always wanted one. The styling is classic.
I can't figure out if your car looks like a MG, a Austin Healey, or an AC Cobra. Whatever it looks like, it is definitely a nice looking car.

Soooo, that stick... did it come with the kit? Hmmm...shouldn't it be painted or varnished, or something? You could make it "classic" that way. :lol: I do recall some members of the sports car Club I belonged to using sticks as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

I'm sure you will all be delighted to know that my Forza Trike has passed it's MOT at the first attempt and has passed all the steps necessary to have it registered for use on the UK roads - I'm now in possession of the new V5 certificate.

Well .... I'm delighted anyway :).
NADman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by NADman »

I'm delighted for you. More pic's and info please.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Just an update for those not keeping up with my goings and comings, I have been worried all of this time about whether my leukemia would slow me done... and then my wife has an extreme drug allergy that sent her to the hospital 4 times in a month, each one threatening to do her in (blood platelet count of zero. Should be minimum of 150,000). They tried all sorts of things but her body acted like it was under attack. Now they give her infusions each Friday with stuff they give cancer patients to help the bone marrow generate platelets. Rough but it is starting to work. Keep fingers crossed. Meanwhile I have been trying to take care of everything at home by myself.

Our kids live a mile or two away but haven't lifted a finger to help. But one of them did complain that his life is so rough. $500,000 house, income in the 6 figures EACH ( wife works for Delta so it is rough getting free tickets for them), expensive cars (Tesla), and two demanding kids, the oldest is 8.) Rough life. Did anyone volunteer to help cut our 3/4 acre yard? Nope. He lives in a golf course community so he HAS to make time to play golf, you know.

Well, enough on that. I decided to clean up my neglected bike but is surprised me by starting right up. No hesitation. I am going to change its oil, just because. ...and wash it. It looks so nice when it is clean.

So that's everything do far, other than the $265,000 hospital bill that is still climbing...but God will provide. He always does.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Thank you NADman, for your enthusiastic response - I will be pleased to add a few notes and pics shortly.

Mel sir, I am, as before, so sorry to hear of your circumstances and that your wife is fighting such a battle. Your greatest strength is your faith - God truly provides. My best wishes to you both.
merchjo
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by merchjo »

Would you mind letting me know where you got the kit. My wife has a forza but just sits because she has had some medical issues. A like like this would really help.
Hepworthgc68
Year: 2016
Color: Bronze

Re: Trike whilst to it's hot.

Post by Hepworthgc68 »

Hi, that’s a great looking trike you’ve got! I wonder if you might let me have the information on the company that built the kit that you put on your bike, it looks really professional, I have a pcx 125 that’s sat outside under a bike cover and I’d love to ride it, and I could if I had a kit like yours!! Thanks in advance, Gary