Condensation in the dashboard

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GreyBeard
Year: 2019
Color: White

Condensation in the dashboard

Post by GreyBeard »

Hi.
I have a 2019 Model PCX which I bought new last June. Since that time I have used it for commuting but out of choice, I leave it in the garage if rain is forecast. Three weeks ago I found myself between cars and had to use it on a day when it rained most of the day. My scoot was outside in the rain through my working day.
Unfortunately, since that day, I have had condensation inside the dash. The other day, it rained a little on a day when I had commuted on my scoot. Now the condensation is worse.
I am going back to the dealer tomorrow for a warranty assessment but I wonder if anyone else has experienced a leaky dash.
Just to make sure I'm not a complete numpty, the PCX is meant to be used outside, right?

GreyBeard
Honda PCX125
2019 Model in white
Based in Dorset, UK
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Condensation in the dashboard

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome and congrats on owning a new PCX! :) I did a search and found a thread about the same issue. Here's some advice, take a look:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1302&p=18412#p18412
Member's may share more. We'll wait and see ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by cnikonpete »

Got mine in July 2018, and have condensation as well,only used it once in the rain,but it has been washed! Mine is kept in a granite outbuilding, which can be as damp as the Titanic in the winter,will see what happens when the weather gets warmer.
tjupille
Year: 2013

Post by tjupille »

My 2013 has the same issue. I got it a couple of years ago and it spent it's first (damp, rainy, Northern California) winter in a tent. I ended up parking it in a warm sunny spot over a couple of days and the water dried up. It now lives in a solid motorcycle shed/garage, and I don't ride in the rain; I'm also careful not to hose down the binnacle when washing (just use a damp cloth on that area) and the problem hasn't recurred. If I were commuting with it, I would carry something like a white trash compactor bag to slip over the binnacle when parked.

All of that said, if it were new, I'd follow the advice given and take it in for warranty service.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

I had a look at the parts catalogue for the latest version,doesn’t appear to have separate gasket for the plastic screen,my condensation isn’t bad just a bit hazy in about a quarter of the lower screen. I will mention it if I take it for the 4000 mile service,and that isn’t even definite yet.
I have an anti condensation bag thing for my car, put that on top of the screen overnight,not overly impressed though.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

My 2014 LED PCX suffers the same, parts of the inner dash bezel have condensation but the speedo is not affected. Not that bothered as it drys up and goes away after a few hours in a warmer location such as the underground car park I use at work. It seems the dash sealing it not great, but not really a big deal as long as the speedo / fuel gauge is readable.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Oohh, my eyes are so tired, and my glasses need to be cleaned. I had to look at the title three times.

I thought at first and second glance that it said CONDEMNATION in the dashboard. What what???

Time for my eyedrops.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GreyBeard

Post by GreyBeard »

Well I went back to the dealer and the warranty claim was accepted. I will get a new dash but have to wait until May because all the parts are not available yet. Bummer.

Funnily enough, the day before I went to the dealer, another issue reared its head. The loud buzz that can be heard after start-up and pulling away disappeared. I told the dealer about this too and he said it is common on new PCXs. Honda don't yet know the reason but it may be the subject of a recall when they get to the bottom of it.
Honda PCX125
2019 Model in white
Based in Dorset, UK
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Perfect 8) Get er done! Then update us, please
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
jrewillis
Color: Red

Post by jrewillis »

GreyBeard wrote:Well I went back to the dealer and the warranty claim was accepted. I will get a new dash but have to wait until May because all the parts are not available yet. Bummer.

Funnily enough, the day before I went to the dealer, another issue reared its head. The loud buzz that can be heard after start-up and pulling away disappeared. I told the dealer about this too and he said it is common on new PCXs. Honda don't yet know the reason but it may be the subject of a recall when they get to the bottom of it.

In case you still hadn't figured this one. It's the abs sensor doing a check. Lots of cars do it to. Below 6mph the light stays on. It'll do a quick self check (the buzz) then go off.