2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by big bear »

i bought my x max for the lighter weight i thought of the ctx 700 but was afraid if i was out riding by myself and droped it i wouldent be able to pick it up. I never go much over 40mph on the back roads i ride so it has all the power ill ever need
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by vito »

Before buying the PCX I tried a Vespa 300. I didn't care for the higher seat, or the $8,000 price tag, as well as the 60 miles to the closest dealer. I also did not like the feel of the tiny wheels, especially at speed. I would not consider a Vespa unless and until they increase the wheel size, but I doubt that they will do so since it would change the look of this classic scooter. I guess what I really want is a PCX with a 300 cc engine, but that is not to be.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

vito wrote:Before buying the PCX I tried a Vespa 300. I didn't care for the higher seat, or the $8,000 price tag, as well as the 60 miles to the closest dealer. I also did not like the feel of the tiny wheels, especially at speed. I would not consider a Vespa unless and until they increase the wheel size, but I doubt that they will do so since it would change the look of this classic scooter. I guess what I really want is a PCX with a 300 cc engine, but that is not to be.
No you really don’t want a PCX 300… Because it is still too light for the interstate..... you need just a bit more heft, bigger wheels and wheelbase to not get blown around ....A true 300 machine does this.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Not having ridden an XMax or a Forza, my first thought has been the Burgman 400, in part because I want a powerful enough engine so that I can feel comfortable riding the Interstate. The local Interstate highways around here all have a 70 mph posted speed, but traffic routinely moves at 75 or 80. Is the Xmax capable of doing 80 with a 200 pound rider aboard? For that matter, will the Burgman 400 be up to that task, or do I need to be looking at a Burgman 650? I realize that the bigger the scoot is, the less of the nimbleness it will have, which is something I love about the PCX. Where the sweet spot is still eludes me. I'm hoping that some of the questions I pose here in my Post will elicit some responses to help me better formulate my plan, which could be as soon as next Spring.
Big Bear and Jge64 make some good points.

I haven't had my XMax on the limited access highways much yet but from what I've experienced so far I concur with what Jge64 said about performance. I'm at least 250 lbs. and I can definitely keep up with the flow. I prefer riding at 65 MPH but the realities of survival are what they are. Lately I keep an eye on what's in my rear view mirrors a lot more than I would have 10 or more years ago. Just glimpses . . . looking for drivers with their heads not facing ahead (texting).

A Burgman 400 was another option for me but I decided it was more than I needed. The 650 Burg was too expensive and the 200 was a bit undersized for my build. Something about the seating ergonomics . . ..

For a list of reasons I've mentioned on this thread and some others I'm quite happy with my 2019 XMax 300. I've had no rectifier problems with it either. It's totally stock except for the under seat compartment divider I made for it. One comment I will make though is that if you do look at one bring your helmet into the dealer showroom and ask to see if it will fit under the seat. There are two locations you can try. If you have a taller helmet and it's a problem there is a post you can hang a helmet strap D-ring to on the starboard side of the compartment up forward. I tried using it with my new HJC CL-17 and I could close the seat with it hanging there no problem. Just be careful not to scratch the side panel finish. :lol:

A 100 lbs. makes a big difference to me when I have to put a machine on the center stand. The only time I do that for my old Suzuki Bandit now is to oil the chain or change the oil. With the XMax it's not an issue . . . at least not yet. I'm trying to make it to 105 years but I'll take 100 if that's all I'm allowed. :roll:

I would have liked a Vespa 300 but I found them to be too expensive although classy if you will. If I had money to burn I'd get one just to have and take jaunts now and then during the "good" weather days. In all practicality one has to admit the bigger wheels on the XMax are more confidence inspiring on irregular roads though.

Take your time . . . you know the drill . . . get what fits and performs the best to your liking and checks the most boxes. The XMax is a bit of a "tall" ride but it's a blast. :D
100_5906a.jpg
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I will admit the bike is too tall. And all the different forums that I go to about scooters, it always comes up people try to sit on it and they can’t flat foot the bike. That really is a stupid problem for Yamaha to have. But then again, Forza followed Yamaha on the new one… Bad move.

Forza 28.2 (new Forza 30.7)
Bergman-29.5
Xmax 31.3
Kymco-30.7
Vespa gts-31.1
Glen
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

A an old wise man once said - "To ride a tall horse is to be closer to heaven". ;)

I've been told my XMax looks like something out of a "Batman" comic book . . .. I'll take that as a compliment. 8)

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

if i slide forward on the seat at stop signs i have no problem reaching the ground on the x max but i admit i have long legs
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

The reality is that experienced riders can handle a slightly too high seat, but a newbie will be rattled by the uncomfortable feeling of "tippy toeing" the bike. Since many see scooters as the entry vehicle into the world of motorcycling, it is strange that the manufacturers do not recognize this reality and make scooter design such that even the height challenged among us can feel secure. It is especially strange when thinking that they sell so many scooters in Asia where in general people are shorter than in the West. But for now, it seems Honda, Yamaha and others have not come to me for my wisdom on this subject.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

910 miles on the x max now the more i ride it the more i like it
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

910 miles on the x max now the more i ride it the more i like it
Totally agree . . ..

Gave mine it's first wash yesterday. Used "S100" spray cleaner and the usual "Armor All" car wash with sponge and water. Also washed the Zuma and Bandit.

I was careful not to spray water around the gauges/displays, dash compartments, or tunnel top. Just wiped them down with a damp rag and tried not to scratch anything. Windex and paper towels is good around the gauges/displays.

Today I'll be doing some waxing and detailing . . ..

The XMax really is comfortable. Yamaha did a good job with that motor too. :D
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

vito wrote:The reality is that experienced riders can handle a slightly too high seat, but a newbie will be rattled by the uncomfortable feeling of "tippy toeing" the bike. Since many see scooters as the entry vehicle into the world of motorcycling, it is strange that the manufacturers do not recognize this reality and make scooter design such that even the height challenged among us can feel secure. It is especially strange when thinking that they sell so many scooters in Asia where in general people are shorter than in the West. But for now, it seems Honda, Yamaha and others have not come to me for my wisdom on this subject.
Exactly, nit wits! Yamaha has lost the under 5 feet 7 crowd with the XMAX, if you're inseam is not 33 inches you can't back up that scooter unless you get off the bike and push. Perhaps the designers of the XMAX are from the Netherlands where 6 feet tall is consider normal for a male.
:geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Exactly, nit wits! Yamaha has lost the under 5 feet 7 crowd with the XMAX, if you're inseam is not 33 inches you can't back up that scooter unless you get off the bike and push. Perhaps the designers of the XMAX are from the Netherlands where 6 feet tall is consider normal for a male.
I admit the XMax is a bit of a stretch for me but I adjust and adapt and it's OK. Getting my leg over the "tunnel" to get into the saddle requires me to use the side stand . . . always.

The thrill of a "carnival" ride then begins . . .. :D

FWIW newbies can get a real low seat on the Honda Metropolitan and work their way from there. Granted they have to deal with traffic in a hurry so it's best to use it on roads that have lower speed limits or in city traffic. Here's the specs.

https://powersports.honda.com/street/sc ... ifications
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

It’s not that bad for me...I am 6’1, 31 inseam and I can touch almost flat footed, my heel is 1/2 inch off the ground. Backing up with my feet is no problem. It may be my comfort seat from Yamaha has lowered the bike a bit.
Glen
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

I think that if I go for a bigger scooter it will likely be the Burgman 400. Not only will that engine allow me to cruise comfortably on the Interstate, the seat is just UNDER 30 inches. I could see myself trading in my Goldwing and my PCX at some point to buy a new Burgman 400 and officially accept that I am truly an old man.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

If you do get a new Burgman 400 relatively soon then the info in Mitch's Scooter Stuff videos may be helpful. I'm not sure how much the Burgs have changed in recent history but I think the 400 is pretty much unchanged. Mel or Fish could probably tell you better about that . . ..

Here's a sample video from Mitch. He explains things the best he can extremely well so a child could understand it. He has also covered other scoots like the Genuine Buddy and Piaggio Fly. :geek:

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Fish's Burgman was the previous model to the current one, there were a lot of changes to the bodywork.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Just looking at the 2019 Burgman 400 price of $8600..... could imagine $10,000 out the door price.
Think I paid $4999 for my left over model.
Hope the new version has some kind of rear fender hugger to keep from throwing 100% of crud onto the rear of the engine. (and air filter!)

Fish
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

the burghman 400 is around 80 pounds heavier than the x max but still way less than a goldwing
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

the x max is at 984 miles ill be breaking 1000 next ride
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Won't be long till you need it serviced again. 3000 mile interval is very poor.
Does it have a proper oil filter or just a strainer?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong