2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:Decided to take a casual ride today . . . just a few towns distance up river and then back through a less developed rural route. It was foggy on the coast but dry. Rain was forecast for later on and into tomorrow.

Well much to my surprise on the way back I noticed some moisture starting to gather on my windscreen. I had one of those "this just can't be happening" moments. As I proceeded, oncoming vehicles had their windshield wipers on and the moisture on my screen was starting to turn to droplets. From there on it was like a phantom misty rain . . . more of a nuisance than a soaking. :roll:

That said I have some updated info to report on the XMax. :geek:

Weather protection is pretty damn good indeed with stock set-up. The water droplets were mostly just going up and over the top of my helmet as I cruised along around 40 MPH plus or minus. Any droplets that formed on my helmet shield just basically dropped straight down around the gas tank lid area. The aerodynamics seem to provide a pocket of stable air. So if I tried to turn my head sideways to let the droplets clear off my helmet shield (like on a regular motorcycle at speed) they just wouldn't move. So a swipe with the glove would do every now and then.

My feet and most of my legs remained dry. Just the outter edge of my legs got a little damp. Remember it's misty. . .not a full on rain. But I can consider it a "Christening" of the new machine. :lol:

I noticed on roads with a steep crown that if I'd go wide to allow room for a bicyclist or dog walker etc. . . that sometimes it felt like the rear wheel had a bit of a mind of it's own. Sort of like the front will track to the right side of the crown and the rear wheel will catch up soon. No big deal . . . just gives the feeling of a bit of "flex" in the tracking dynamics. The grippy tires may add to the mix also.

Getting just over 80 MPG. Satisfied with that for sure. Brakes are working as advertised. ;)

Didn't push the scoot to test the Traction Control but it was nice knowing it's there. . .. More traffic lately means the possibility of a layer of oil film on the pavement . . . especially at intersections. We all know oil and water don't mix. :?

That's about it. Still giving it a thumbs up. No regrets. But still would like to see Honda sell the new Forza in the U.S.. Or, perhaps should I say more people should save the planet and ride a scooter!

That would surely signal Honda to sell the Forza in the U.S. :D

The older I get the more I think I have chimpanzee in my DNA. :lol:
100_5822a.jpg
100_5823a.jpg
Lovely looking scooter.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Lovely looking scooter.
Thanks!

Wish I could say the same for weather . . .. :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Checking in:
4700 miles, rectifier replaced at 600, no probs since, I charge at speed at 13.8, slightly reduced due to lithium batt, startup is 13.0
I get great coverage from the front and the side with the stock windshield in the high position , and the addition of a Puig deflector at the top when I’m going long distance.
It seems my windshield is in the "low" position. That said I'm happy with it and can see just over the top . . . don't feel a need to move it up to the higher position. Just lucky I guess. 8)

The charging seems in good order . . . high 13's or 14 depending. Since you reported the issue early on I do monitor it regularly during warm up and then a couple of times during a ride. Will continue to until I can rest assured my rectifier/regulator is good to go the distance. So far I've only been able to log around 300 miles on it. :geek:

Really want to ride the thing more but I also don't want to lose the "newness" and get it all crapped up either . So I lean on the Zuma . . ..

The weather, as I've mentioned before, has just been unreal. In fact on the long range forecast from the 10th through the 17th they are forecasting some kind of showers every day . . . let alone the on and off showers due for next week. Grass is yellowing and that green algae looking stuff is growing on exterior surfaces. What the heck?

Not to change the thread subject but I just bought a new "Little Giant Velocity 22" ladder to use for washing the house (and other chores). As soon as we get a stretch of some sunny weather and the ground gets more firm I'll put it to work. :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

my starting problem was solved with the lithium battery fires right up every time now was on vacation this week so ive got the x max up 900 kilometers now
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

my starting problem was solved with the lithium battery fires right up every time now was on vacation this week so ive got the x max up 900 kilometers now
Glad to hear that!

I've got to start up my XMax and get some miles on it some time this week.

I turned the key on it yesterday to check the volt meter and it read 12.2V. Didn't start it though. Pouring rain all day long.

One of these days I'm going to pull the front cover and hook up the quick connect lead I have for my charger to the battery. Hopefully I'll find a place to hang it so I can reach it without removing the cover each time. :D
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

12.2 at rest is no prob, 12.2 when running IS the rectifier problem.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i keep a battery maintainer hooked up my son ran the leads out from under the front cover there exposed but they have a slip on protective cover to put over the ends took the x max for a 15 mile ride today back to work tommorow so no riding till next sunday hopefully it will be nice out and i can take the pcx out it rains so much anymore
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Had a chance to finally take the XMax for a ride tonight. :D

Took a bit of getting used to again being a little heavier than the Zuma and having slightly different handling characteristics. Easier to balance at a dead stop with feet up at an intersection but needs a little more rider input for turns. Such a joy to ride though. Wow. . .. It does make me grin. :lol:

Battery charging early on registered 14.2 volts. Had no problem starting it whatsoever.

Still getting used to the side stand being back further than I'm used to on most bikes and scooters. Just barely at 350 miles now.

One thing I do wish is that the "Main Switch" was lit up at night. . . or there was an LED in the general proximity to give you a location reference. It's in the "Valley of Darkness" so if you are in a dark area and are looking to turn off the scooter it's a bit of a challenge. Or if you want to chose open or something you can't see the selections. After numerous rides I'm sure I could find what I need blindfolded but at this point in time it's the only complaint I have with it. :geek:

Can't wait to ride it again tomorrow. Rain on the map for Friday, Sunday, Monday. Such is life . . .. :roll:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

yes rain is on the map for both my days off sunday and monday i was hoping for a dry day sunday i really wanted to take the pcx for a ride but its looking like zuma weather again
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

took the x max for a 7 mile ride went out to do another ride got a mile from the house and the rain started again just riding in between rain storms. Oh the dealer sold me 20/50 oil my son thinks thats to thick what do you think grinner
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

20/50 too thick for penna cold, run 10/30
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I bought the Yamalube 10w-40 All Purpose Mineral Based oil for my Zuma and XMax off the shelf at the local dealership.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/deta ... lernumber=

It meets JASCO MA or higher which is what the manuals call for . . .. :D

I used my leftover Pro Honda HP4M 10w-30 (with moly and is API SJ rated) from my PCX for my Zuma final drive gear oil. Will probably also use it for the XMax final drive gear oil. The manuals call for SE or higher rating. I personally don't see any harm in using the Honda oil in the Yamaha gears but always recommend to anyone to use whatever their manual calls for. The oil ratings are key of course.

Just my two cents worth.

Since I live along the CT coast the Winter temps are a bit milder than inland however it does get quite cold at times. I've been putting 10w-40 in my bikes for years and change it out usually once a year . . . either Spring or Fall depending upon when I get to it.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

the dealership sold me synthethic oil is that what they put in at the factory id rather use regular yamalube
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

the dealership sold me synthethic oil is that what they put in at the factory id rather use regular yamalube
That's a good question. You may be better off asking the dealer about that . . .. I'm certainly no expert.

Synthetics seem to be the trend today.

It's always a good topic for debate on the pros and cons of mineral vs synthetic and but at the end of the day I always refer to the owner's manual for the OEM specifications. The Yamalube All Purpose mineral based oil I bought has been around a long time and it meets or exceeds the manual specifications.

Climatic conditions definitely have to be part of the decision making process when making a choice of viscosity . . ..
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i think im going to go with the mineral based yamalube the best i could find in synthetic was 10/50 which i think is still to thick i can get regular yamalube in 10/40
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Got a chance to ride two up for the first time with one of my daughters on the XMax earlier today. She's had experience riding with me before and knows the ropes so-to-speak.

She noted it was a nice smooth ride but felt elevated pretty high up . . .. The seat also felt wide, yet comfortable. :geek:

That said she remarked she actually liked riding pillion on my Suzuki Bandit 1200 better. She could get more into a "tuck" and it was easier to keep her feet positioned on the foot pegs . . . less bulk on the body panels. I've got both a stock and Corbin seat (with backrest) for the Bandit. :D

I asked her if she thought it would make any difference adapting as a passenger to the riding position if she was taller or shorter. She honestly wasn't sure. But she noted that not having to anticipate the shifts made the ride on the XMax more relaxing in that aspect. 8)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Finally a few days in a row of decent weather . . . and much warmer too.

Still breaking in the XMax but got about another 50 miles on it today. Touched 70 MPH briefly with it going over a bridge on I-95 but didn't want to rush things. Confident it will to the 85 MPH mark later on . . .. 8)
100_5930a.jpg
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I had some spare time this afternoon so I thought I'd produce a "make-shift" divider for my under seat stowage area. They are sold as accessories online with or without a compartment bag but rather than spend any $$ I figured I'd have a go at creating one.

Long story short the pictures pretty much tell it all. :geek:

My tools were a coping saw, pencil, ruler, sandpaper, and some Windex and paper towels. Time spent was about 20 minutes once I found the piece of material I could work with.

I had a piece of some remnant plastic that was strong enough to hold it's shape yet thin enough to fit in the slots under the seat. I wish it was black but we can't always have everything. :roll:
100_5934a.jpg
Having marked the correct length and figured where I'd cut lengthwise I began . . ..

Some sanding helped remove any rough edges.
100_5936a.jpg
It fit like a glove. The seat closed fine. It will be just enough to keep something from rolling down into the deep end becoming a nuisance when I'm not carrying a spare helmet. Leaving the upper edge allowed for easier removal too. Sometimes I amaze myself. :lol:
100_5937a.jpg
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Couple of updates on the Xmax . . ..

Fuel economy averaged 91.2 MPG yesterday on a trip I took that lasted around 50 miles. Basically state highway and back roads. No interstates . . .. Still less than 500 miles on the machine.

Tonight I took another ride on it as evening approached. I picked up some Dunkin Donuts. Wow . . . a buck a piece for those things now. What happened? I admit I don't get them very often but somehow I remember a time when they were a lot less $$. :roll:

Anyhow when I flipped open the seat I noticed that the white colored divider I put in the stowage compartment reflected the light from the LED rather nicely and made it even easier to see things in the dark . . . at least on the upper portion.

I continue to amaze myself. :lol:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

changed the oil and the final drive oil in mine today odometer went over 1000 kilometers and the oil change reminder came on