2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by Old Grinner »

o I sold it for pretty much less than half of what I paid for it and said good riddance to bicycles.
yes a guy i know who was a hard core bicycle rider was run over and killed in may by a drunk driver at 1230 in the afternoon.
I haven't ridden my bicycles in a while. I kept my old 3-speed, hybrid, and mountain bike. But the area I live in has become more busy, especially in the warmer months, and there is more competition for space in the road. Plus with the pandemic people are taking up space on both sidewalks and the road shoulders to "social distance". I'm seeing more regional "out of state" registered vehicles and along with that comes drivers accustomed to certain driving habits. Add to that people using "golf carts" in beach areas and it's a real hoot. In my town they aren't supposed to be used on roads with speed limits in excess of 25 MPH and they are supposed to be registered with the town. That said, I still see them being used in areas they aren't supposed to be with speed limits in excess of 25 MPH. IMHO I think the only people who should be allowed to drive golf carts on the roads, or along the road shoulders should I say, are disabled or handicapped. The same people who require "Handicapped Parking" at shopping areas etc . . .. Otherwise everyone else can walk, run, or ride bicycles as far as I'm concerned. This golf cart thing is something that's been coming on in the last decade with momentum and now it's getting like "styling" with SUVs and cars. Who's got the "coolest" golf cart and has $$$. Ridiculous. They take up space along the road shoulder that is meant for pedestrians and bicycle riders. That said I have no problem letting them be used by the disabled. One more thing . . . they park them in areas where there is "no parking" for cars and some of these golf carts are like an old "Fiat Jolly". We don't have "gated" communities in my town so I don't know why this is allowed to continue.

I'm still seeing a lot of people using devices while driving. In Indiana they just passed a new law to deter the use of devices while driving. If you get caught with one in your hand while driving you are in deep dung. Only "hands free" communication devices are permitted. To manually use a device you have to pull over and park the vehicle.

Also I've notice a lot more "Tour de France" type riders. It's difficult to pass them sometimes when they are moving along at 30 MPH and the speed limit is 35 MPH or less and you've got a line of oncoming traffic. I prefer to get around town on a motorcycle or scooter in lieu of a car. It's just easier . . ..

Rant over.

Getting back to the XMax I checked the coolant level again yesterday on a cold motor and it was even with the "FULL" level mark on the center stand.

Still have to check tire pressures this weekend. :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

27 miles on the xmax today. Came across a guy riding a horse the horse dident like the x max it bolted and ran into someones front yard at least the guy dident fall off
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

27 miles on the xmax today. Came across a guy riding a horse the horse dident like the x max it bolted and ran into someones front yard at least the guy dident fall off
Early in my motorcycle riding years I was informed that around horses you have to be careful. Idle by if possible . . . keep off the throttle . . . don't rush . . . appear as a "non-threat" to the animal.

Horses are highly intelligent. Something strange on two wheels may seem like a predator to them. Their instincts kick in.

Loud strange noises, backfires, a quick movement from a strange source can all influence a horses behavior.

At the end of it all the horse and rider prevailed safely and you as well. Another horse may not have reacted quite so suddenly. They have personalities as do people. All horses are not alike. Different breeds have different characteristics. Draft Horses or Quarter Horses are fairly mellow. The Arabians tend to be sociable but if treated poorly in their development they can present aggressive traits.

Long story short just take it easy around horses. They may see you as a URO (Unidentified Riding Object). :lol:

Enjoy your XMax. :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i had no chance to react i came around a bend and there it was im slow i was only going about 17 mph theres alot of horses and buggys where i ride
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

i had no chance to react i came around a bend and there it was im slow i was only going about 17 mph theres alot of horses and buggys where i ride
Oh . . . I see . . .. It was as much a surprise to you as it was to the horse. You were in slow mellow mode just enjoying the scenery when all of a sudden it appeared . . .. o_O

I remember going through PA a few times and seeing the Amish folks out with their horse and buggy rides.

Well . . . not a lot you can do about that. Just figure anything may be around the bend and ride accordingly.

Even when I'm out on dirt trails now I am a lot more careful. Just more people using them and some are in a hurry. I hate surprises like that. :lol:

On my return from my evening scooter loop tonight I came around a bend and saw a car coming at me "head on" some distance away. I thought WTF? I knew the sun was in his eyes. Then I saw a lump in the road he had to get around. It looked like somebody must have had some beach clothes or something that they temporarily placed on the roof of their car and forgot about it and just drove away. The pile fell off right in a bad spot too on the inside lane of a bend. Needless to day I changed my lane position and moved to the outside of the turn on the shoulder and by then the guy had already corrected his course and started to get back in his lane. The cars that were following him all had to make the same move around the pile of stuff.

I was going to do a second loop around the water but after that I figured I'd just go home . . .. :roll:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

theres a large group of amish where im at buggys everywhere nice riding not much traffic
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Yesterday on an early evening ride I had the opportunity to really see how well the ABS works on my XMax 300.

As I was approaching a traffic light, facing into the setting sun, a squirrel quickly darted out from my "port" side and within an instant I was on the rear brake very hard.

Suddenly I heard a "chirp" from the rear tire and then the scooter just broke momentum and started to decelerate from what I figured was around 35 MPH at the time. There was no lengthy skid . . . just a quick reduction in forward movement.

I usually keep aware of what's in my mirrors. That said, I wanted to avoid contact with the squirrel but at the same time didn't want to be hit from behind either. So I avoided using the front brake.

From the time I saw the squirrel's movement in my direction to completion of his safe crossing, with tail raised high, onto the shoulder of my lane it must have been 2 seconds (or at least felt like it).

Using brakes is like playing cards sometimes . . . you have to know when to "hold 'em" and know when to "fold 'em". :o o_O :? ;)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

FYI to XMax 300 (CZD300) owners, model years 2018 -2020.

You may receive a notice from Yamaha for a "Safety Recall" about the rear reflector assembly. Evidently there can be a condensation problem effecting luminosity thus increasing the risk of a crash. I know in the United States it's an official recall but not sure about XMax 300 models sold in other countries.

Yamaha will replace the part in question for free but you have to make an appointment to bring your machine in to an authorized dealer for the repair. I guess the job should only take about 15 minutes. There are further details.

Here's a link to the NHTSA page about it. Note that some R3 and MT03 models are effected also. :geek:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/YAMAHA/XMAX#recalls
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Received my recall notice over the weekend, I’m not gonna have this done. I just took apart the tail light to integrate my turn signals into the brake light module as in the Euro bikes, and my lens and reflector are completely clear and work fine.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i got the notice to my reflector looks ok to me it would be a major pain to take it back to a dealer for what seems like an unnessary repair
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I think its the little rectangular reflector not the tail light.
If you cba'd going to dealer, just buy one mail order/online and swap it yourself.
Of more concern is the CZD300A recall for dodgy brake levers.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Received my recall notice over the weekend, I’m not gonna have this done. I just took apart the tail light to integrate my turn signals into the brake light module as in the Euro bikes, and my lens and reflector are completely clear and work fine.
All my reflectors and taillight section look as new also . . ..

Then again I try to avoid riding it in rain (although I have) and am careful when I wash it. I leave the bad weather riding to the Zuma 125.

Since the problem has effected at least 3 different models it does make me wonder if it is indeed a manufacturing defect with the part and not a result of harsh washing or exposure to frequent rain.
i got the notice to my reflector looks ok to me it would be a major pain to take it back to a dealer for what seems like an unnessary repair
For a 15 minute job (if they'll do it while you wait) I'd have to ride about an hour round trip . . . which is fine . . . as long as the weather is good the day of the appointment. Then, if they said I'd have to leave it overnight it would complicate things and mean I'd have to get another driver to give me a ride home and back again to pick it up. I could trailer it but as you say it starts becoming a pain and more work than it's worth (if it's just the square reflector that sits centered on the fender under the taillight). My red side reflectors on the license plate bracket are still like new also.

Pics just taken in April and July this year respectively.
100_6933a.jpg
100_7434a.jpg
Of more concern is the CZD300A recall for dodgy brake levers.
Thanks for letting us know about that. I looked it up and saw a reference to the problem on a UK and Korean site. Seems it just effects the 2018 models?

Either way I'll take a look at mine for safety sake to see if there seems to be any sign of cracks and such . . ..
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

OK . . . a few more comments on my findings after a quick inspection in the dark with a 6V lantern.

On the XMax, my taillight section reflects . . . sort of in a "crystal-like" way . . . faceted (ignition off). It's really similar to my Zuma 125 except it has more surface area and a different configuration.

The red reflector light under the taillight does the job. The reflectors on the sides of the license plate bracket do the job . . . at least IMHO.

TBH when the scooter is running the taillight section is brilliant and resembles some kind of critter looking back at you . . .. No problem seeing that but y'all knew that anyways. 8)

The yellow reflectors on the front forks were fine also.

About the brake levers . . . I noticed there is a cavity (void area) under the ball shaped end of each lever and a cavity under each brake lever near the attachment point to the handle bar. I'd say it's part of the molding process. The cavities don't seem like they were machined. It wouldn't make sense and be more costly. I would hope it wouldn't decrease the strength and durability of those parts.

Anyhow, I didn't see any sign of cracks, fractures, corrosion, or pitting on either brake levers. They looked fine.

The first two pics are of the left brake lever and the second two are of the right brake lever . . ..
100_8037a.jpg
100_8038ab.jpg
100_8039a.jpg
100_8040a.jpg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:OK . . . a few more comments on my findings after a quick inspection in the dark with a 6V lantern.

On the XMax, my taillight section reflects . . . sort of in a "crystal-like" way . . . faceted (ignition off). It's really similar to my Zuma 125 except it has more surface area and a different configuration.

The red reflector light under the taillight does the job. The reflectors on the sides of the license plate bracket do the job . . . at least IMHO.

TBH when the scooter is running the taillight section is brilliant and resembles some kind of critter looking back at you . . .. No problem seeing that but y'all knew that anyways. 8)

The yellow reflectors on the front forks were fine also.

About the brake levers . . . I noticed there is a cavity (void area) under the ball shaped end of each lever and a cavity under each brake lever near the attachment point to the handle bar. I'd say it's part of the molding process. The cavities don't seem like they were machined. It wouldn't make sense and be more costly. I would hope it wouldn't decrease the strength and durability of those parts.

Anyhow, I didn't see any sign of cracks, fractures, corrosion, or pitting on either brake levers. They looked fine.

The first two pics are of the left brake lever and the second two are of the right brake lever . . ..
100_8037a.jpg
100_8038ab.jpg
100_8039a.jpg
100_8040a.jpg
The brake levers are fine.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

45 degrees and windy but it was dry so i took the x max out for a 15 miler
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Yeah . . . the wind . . . what a concept. We had gusts roll through these parts Sunday night that caused 40,000 power outages. For the next couple of nights it will drop into the 20's F. already. :roll:

When the Winter approaches and you have to be more discrete on what days you ride . . . it's tough. Spring won't come fast enough! :D

I just checked my tire pressures the other day in anticipation that the psi will drop with the colder weather. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

As an added note I did take my XMax out for about 10 miles today . . .. A cold windy ride but worth it. 8)

I discovered that I had to replace my "Smart Key" battery. The warning light on the speedometer had indicated the battery was "on the way out" for some time now. It was giving a 20 second yellow flashing signal on startups. I always carry a spare battery with me anyways (time for a new spare). But today the XMax was hesitant to start. The "Main Switch" didn't want to work at first. But then it finally worked after I cycled the Smart Key battery on and off a few times.

The Owner's Manual states that the Smart Key batteries are good for around 2 years and that's about what I got out of it.

I replaced it with a Duracell 2032. :geek:

Using a medium size flat head screwdriver with a paper towel wrapped over the head I popped open the key body (there's a small cavity on the side of the key body where you can insert a coin or flat head screwdriver) and was careful not to touch any of the electronics or damage the seal. The battery didn't fall/drop out . . . I had to pry it out carefully. But the new battery went in nicely.

I proceeded to try it out and the XMax responded with the "Welcome Aboard" and all display and functions operating properly.

A pic from May of 2019 . . . not too many miles on it yet. The yellow circle shows where the "Smart Key" indicator light is.
100_5930ab.jpg
That said . . . the "Ice" warning is something I'm not looking forward to again. :roll:
100_6470a.jpg
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

im up to 2100 miles on mine maybee i should put a new battery in my smart key to its due to go bad anytime
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

im up to 2100 miles on mine maybee i should put a new battery in my smart key to its due to go bad anytime
FWIW I took another 10 mile ride today and it was in the 30's F..

Windy again too.

My display lit up with the "Ice" warning.

Temps are supposed to get back into the 40's and 50's in a few days in my area . . ..

If you are getting the flashing yellow key light indicator for 20 seconds after you start up your machine I'd say replace your Smart Key battery also. Or, if it's at least two years old. Good idea to keep a spare with you when you ride just in case. You can check the expire date on the batteries before you buy them to make sure that if the new one takes two years to get used up your spare should still be good for a couple of years after that as long as it stays in the pack and doesn't get used until it's needed.
ChuckD
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by ChuckD »

Old Grinner,
Am I right in thinking that the XMax 300 uses shim-type valve adjustments?

Man, this may also be MY last & final bike choice!
Tks~
2017 PCX150