2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by big bear »

took mine for a 20 mile ride today the computer says im getting 90 miles per gallon and my average speed is 20 mph on my pcx im getting 119 miles per gallon
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

took mine for a 20 mile ride today the computer says im getting 90 miles per gallon and my average speed is 20 mph on my pcx im getting 119 miles per gallon
My average speed is usually twenty something MPH also . . ..

On my PCX I was consistently getting over 100 MPG.

I have to say that for 292cc the Yamaha does well in power and fuel economy.

The few times I've taken it up on a major highway it's kept up with the flow of traffic and I still had more throttle on tap.

When I see one person perched behind the wheel of a huge SUV now or other gas guzzling vehicle I ask what's the point? All that bulk to transport such a light load? Kind of wasteful from an environmental stand point. Good for the "ego" perhaps but not so great for the atmosphere. :roll:

That said I'm starting to see more and more electric bicycles now. They sort of stand out because you see them coming at you rather quickly (20 MPH or so) but the rider isn't peddling. I think it's only a matter of time before government regulations start demanding they include headlights and tail lamps on those too right out of the box. LED of course. Some manufacturers include them already. :D

Long live green plants . . . more oxygen please! ;)
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

ive thought of buying an electric bike theres alot of bike trails near me but there so over priced its almost 5 grand for a decent one i know they have to make a profit but theres making a profit and making a killing. It cant cost more than a thousand bucks to make one on an assembly line. hell if the pcx it 3699 whys a bike 5 grand
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Yup . . . the electric stuff can be expensive. :roll:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

It’s just basic business fundamentals that make it cost $5000. They have no economies of scale, it’s new technology, so R&D is still being written off on that model, and start up costs and battery technology are folded in.

None of these electric/hybrid bikes will get to PCX prices until they can increase the range. Until then it will be bought by early adopters only… And that volume is not enough to drive the cost down.

Same as cars.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There's a limit to the usefulness of electric assist bicycles, and that is range.
Not necessarily the range of the battery but the distance people are prepared to use a bicycle for.
People aren't going to want to do more than a few miles on one, so for longer journeys another transport solution is required.
There is definitely a market for them but its smaller than for normal scooters.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by vito »

To some people, scooters seem to close to those evil motorcycles! An electric bicycle is still, to some degree, a bicycle, and is seen as a social positive. Personally they are not my cup of tea. I tried one out at the bicycle shop where I was having my bicycle repaired. It was heavy and awkward to get started to the point that the motor could "assist". Part of riding a bicycle, for me, is the exercise. So I will stick to a lightweight bike to ride, and then for fun, get on my scooter or my motorcycle.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I used to ride a Peugeot 12 speed racer to work, 14 miles each way, was much fitter back then.
It looked like this one: https://preview.redd.it/sl1s0nf31ev21.j ... 65ca3d1e33 but had alloy pedals with toeclips and a luggage rack.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

About 10 years ago I had my first ride on an electric bicycle. A friend of mine bought one. She actually got it at Walmart and they were a few hundred $$ at the time. I was surprised with the torque. It was a bit heavy. You could pedal it if the battery died but it was a chore. You were compelled to keep that battery charged. ;)

Before I got my first scooter, a Genuine Roughhouse (PGO PMX bloodline), I used this for getting around town and errands. A 3-speed "Shogun". Nice bicycle . . . hand painted pin stripes. Very well made. You couldn't find the real deal made in England 3-speeds anymore when I bought it. The Raleigh Robin Hood was a thing of the past . . .. Now they are considered vintage.
DCP_1218a.jpg
Still have it . . . and my old Cannondale . . . and my old Marin Bear Valley.

Do I ride them currently?

No . . ..

Would it be a good idea?

Yes . . ..

Have to maintain that connective tissue so I can ride scooters and motorcycles longer. :lol:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

A1979CCB-6542-45CA-A7EE-75595B7EF4ED.jpeg
A1979CCB-6542-45CA-A7EE-75595B7EF4ED.jpeg (153.43 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
Just thought I would add to this thread, this vendor will also make anything you want for a PCX… So it’s a great place to think about getting stripes if you so desire. I personally think just like the 15 PCX I had, that If these bikes to come in solid white or black , they need something to spiff them up, and this kit does it. The stripes took 10 days to get for me from Thailand, came extremely well packed, and are a very high-quality 3M vinyl, not just a cheap sticker. They go on with no bubbles no problem. The kit comes with a tremendous amount more stripes than I put on, I don’t want to gaudy up the bike , I just wanted a few swatches of color- here’s the link. By the way this design comes off their race bikes in the 70s and it’s known in black and yellow or red and white , as the “Yamaha speed block design”, So there’s some heritage to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-X-MAX-X ... 2749.l2649
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

By the way this design comes off their race bikes in the 70s and it’s known in black and yellow or red and white , as the “Yamaha speed block design”, So there’s some heritage to this:
Nice job with the trim accents . . .. 8)

I used to have a yellow Yamaha "stroker cap" with the Yamaha insignia as black and yellow speed block design that you refer to. Got it in the mid-70's. Had for umpteen years and eventually just wore the thing to shreds. Had to toss it. I don't think they make them anymore. Everything now seems to be "ball caps" with the marque logo and designs.

FWIW my XMax is running strong. Never needed a top box since the under seat stowage is quite adequate. Plus I think it looks better without one. :lol:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i stoped at an intersection that was kinda off camber on my x max my right leg sliped on some gravel and i went down with the x max on top of me no injuries to me or the bike i wasent moving a guy pulled over and helped me pick up the xmax its not light there i was laying in the road under my x max
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Old Grinner wrote:About 10 years ago I had my first ride on an electric bicycle. A friend of mine bought one. She actually got it at Walmart and they were a few hundred $$ at the time. I was surprised with the torque. It was a bit heavy. You could pedal it if the battery died but it was a chore. You were compelled to keep that battery charged. ;)

Before I got my first scooter, a Genuine Roughhouse (PGO PMX bloodline), I used this for getting around town and errands. A 3-speed "Shogun". Nice bicycle . . . hand painted pin stripes. Very well made. You couldn't find the real deal made in England 3-speeds anymore when I bought it. The Raleigh Robin Hood was a thing of the past . . .. Now they are considered vintage.
DCP_1218a.jpg
Still have it . . . and my old Cannondale . . . and my old Marin Bear Valley.

Do I ride them currently?

No . . ..

Would it be a good idea?

Yes . . ..

Have to maintain that connective tissue so I can ride scooters and motorcycles longer. :lol:
FYI .... there are now 5 speed hubs available for these bikes, but you'd have to get it as a complete hub/wheel or re-lace it to your wheel.

https://www.modernbike.com/sturmey-arch ... ake-silver
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

i stoped at an intersection that was kinda off camber on my x max my right leg sliped on some gravel and i went down with the x max on top of me no injuries to me or the bike i wasent moving a guy pulled over and helped me pick up the xmax its not light there i was laying in the road under my x max
I can totally understand how that can happen.

A similar situation almost happened to me last year. I was getting ready to come to a complete stop and park my XMax at a grocery store parking lot. There was a metal manhole cover in the space which was next to a carriage return area. I usually like to park next to where the carriage returns are because it eliminates the chance of someone "dooring" me by half.

Anyhow as I put my feet down to get a proper footing my left foot slipped on the metal cover and by the time I pulled it back to position it the XMax was already starting into the lean. It took all I had to upright it . . . and the thought of it going down and suffering damage made me try all that much harder.

I had gotten so confident with the PCX and Zuma that I basically screwed myself by not taking a bit of extra caution with the XMax. It's big, it's bulky, it's really comfortable, and yes it's heavier. But it is a twist and go scooter and it's easy to become lazy with it. If it was a motorcycle I would have had a higher level of focus due to the nature of the beast.

Lesson learned . . . don't get complacent . . . keep the focus on the task at hand and be mindful of the unexpected.

Your description of the way you "toppled" over reminded me of that day.

It is fortunate that someone came along to assist you.

Moving forward perhaps think about the options if that happens again. A strategy to "get out from under" is a good idea. Note the unfamiliar road surfaces where you are going to be stopping with more attention to detail.

For me, I make damn sure I've got my feet planted firmly now each time I come to a halt. I also move a bit forward on the seat in awkward situations to give me a bit more leg reach. Try moving forward in the seat a few times while coming to a stop to get some practice. I think you'll notice it helps.

The 300cc machines are great. But the nice wide comfortable seats do effect leg reach. That's why they design the seats more narrow in the front for riders with shorter legs. But you already knew that right?

Also note that all shoe soles/heels are not alike. Some are indeed more slippery than others. Some shoes and boots offer varying thicknesses of soles and heels. Something to consider when buying riding gear . . ..

One thing for sure is you lucked out that time and your story ended without tragedy. :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i think ill just ride the x max when my son goes with me he could pick up the x max with one hand hopefully i wont fall over again but if i do he can pick it up. Ive hit a log and a rock while riding the zuma on dirt paths and fell off but its so light i could pick it up by myself with no problem
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

i think ill just ride the x max when my son goes with me he could pick up the x max with one hand hopefully i wont fall over again but if i do he can pick it up. Ive hit a log and a rock while riding the zuma on dirt paths and fell off but its so light i could pick it up by myself with no problem
Sounds like a plan! :D

One other thing is you can bring a cell phone with you (if you have one) when you go out to ride in case there's an emergency or you get a flat tire, run out of gas, or have a serious electrical problem that cripples the machine. :geek:

Having read your post I know I will be taking extra care when I ride as well.

Really cold for late April this morning here . . . in the 30's. Freeze warnings are posted. Seems like we still have to be careful about frozen surfaces. :roll:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i have a cell phone with me at all times. 31 degrees here this morning and its april 22nd
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

A few comments other XMax owners may find useful . . . or already knew:

My "Oil Service" reminder started flashing a few days ago on my display when I traveled 2.400 miles since my last oil change. So now I have just over 3,200 miles on it. Runs great. No regrets. Would buy one again or recommend to others . . ..

I drained out the old Yamalube (no need to replace the filter at this point as it was replaced at around 600 miles). Note that if you change the oil leaving it on the center stand you may not get it all out. Draining it while it is on the side stand . . . or tipping the XMax will allow more oil to drain out than if it is level. Although I have a couple of more crush washers for the oil plug on hand I found I was able to continue to use the original. I tightened it up and no leaks.

I picked up a 5 Qt. jug of Pennzoil 10w-40 mineral based oil a while back and was able to pour about 1.5 Qts. back into the XMax (filled up to the top level line on the sight glass). Poured it slow to allow monitoring of the sight glass level more effectively. I briefly started up the engine to let it draw the oil through the system . . . and subsequently added a little bit more.

The next thing to check was the coolant. That said, I did notice the coolant was down a bit so I added some (first time ever on the XMax). The motor was lukewarm when I checked. Not hot . . . but not cold either. I had ridden it a few miles to warm it up for the oil change and briefly while topping off with the refill. The temperature was in the 80's F. A hot day. Honda coolant I had originally bought for my PCX is non-abrasive and will blend with other coolant so I used that. I read the label. The coolant is supposed to be changed every 3 years but checked before each ride according to the OM. I'll admit I haven't checked it before each ride . . . just occasionally. But I do monitor the engine temperature on the display. I'll have a look at it again before my next ride. You have to be careful as the coolant migrates back and forth from the coolant tank to the radiator depending upon the engine temperature.

That's about it. I think I'll just continue with the Pennzoil 10w-40 mineral based oil from now on. It's cheaper than Yamalube, readily available at Tractor Supply and other stores, and I don't submit the XMax to any horrible use. It's "SN" rated. :D

One last thing . . . when you reset the oil trip meter you have to pull back (in the OM they say "press") on the button (like you usually do to reset your trip or trip time) for 3 seconds . . . it will start to flash . . . and then pull back on it for about 15 to 20 seconds (count it off) and let off. It should zero out. If it doesn't then try it again and just count to 15 instead of 20. It will work eventually but you have to let off on it in a timely manner.

Next thing on the agenda will be tire pressures. :geek:
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I use to own an excellent electric bicycle. Outstanding range, HOWEVER I got tired of playing dodgeball with cars on the road. At least on my Forza I have a fighting chance of staying alive since its got power to get out of dangerous situations. I was actually just riding the ebike on the sidewalk due to that and that was not so great either as the city has rules that state no ebikes on sidewalks and people hate on you as well.

So I sold it for pretty much less than half of what I paid for it and said good riddance to bicycles. Its may be fun once a while in a park or closed roads but I am not doing it again----------------dodgeball with cars that see you as a pain in the rear.
:geek:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

yes a guy i know who was a hard core bicycle rider was run over and killed in may by a drunk driver at 1230 in the afternoon. The driver fled the scene but was caught about a mile down the road