2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by Old Grinner »

Won't be long till you need it serviced again. 3000 mile interval is very poor.
Does it have a proper oil filter or just a strainer?
I couldn't resist jumping in here . . ..

The oil change is not a big chore.

And yes . . . a proper filter indeed. :D
100_6028a.jpg
The valve adjustments need to be done every 12,000 miles. Yamaha calls the shims "pads". It's a bit involved but can be done at home I think. Correct me if I'm wrong . . .. Unless I missed something I don't believe any extreme tools are needed. Just the basics and parts. :D

After the first oil change and filter, the filter doesn't have to be replaced again for 12,000 miles. The oil needs to get changed when the oil change indicator blinks on the tripmeter. The first is done at 600 miles, then 2,400 miles, and every 3,000 miles after that.

Using mineral type oil I think it's good to change it every 3,000 miles anyways. Synthetic can become contaminated as well so I feel whether you use mineral or synthetic it's just a good idea to change the oil every between 3,000 and 4,000 miles anyways. Just the way I've done it since I had my first 4-stroke bike, a Triumph 250 Trophy. My first bike was a 2-stroke Suzuki TC 90.

I digress. . .. :lol:
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Old Grinner wrote:Just the way I've done it since I had my first 4-stroke bike, a Triumph 250 Trophy.
I had a Trophy 250 a while back. Great bikes, very punchy, but I could never get the hang of the old Brit foot controls :|

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I had a Trophy 250 a while back. Great bikes, very punchy, but I could never get the hang of the old Brit foot controls :|
Yup . . . that's the one!

It was a 1970 model if I recall. I actually still have the original shop manual.

Dry sump oil system.

Separate gear oil for the transmission . . . 90 Wt. maybe?

I didn't have a luggage rack though.

That said I did have the Dunlop K70 tires as it appears that one does. Those rims look a little different though. I don't remember mine looking quite the same. More chrome-like rather than aluminish.

It wasn't the most reliable machine. I sent a valve through the piston once. The mechanic said they were known for weak valve springs. I had to chase parts over hill and dale for a month before he could start the repair.

After the new piston and rings etc . . . I continued to ride it until the low end eventually started binding up. It would start fine and run OK for a while but then it would begin to shutter and bog down. Crank bearing or something on the fritz.

I used to have fuses burn out on me from the battery too sometimes. I think the battery may have moved around and grounded a terminal on the metal side cover. I used to find foil from a cigarette pack useful to wrap around a fuse in an emergency to get me home.

Eventually I sold it to a motorcycle salvage business and I never forgot the guy at counter asking me if I needed "beer money". He would only give me $80 for it. He said with the engine problem it was the best he could do . . . take it or leave it. Since I had already dumped a significant amount of money into it for repairs already I had to let it go and move on.

When it ran well it was fun. And yes . . . shifting with the right foot and then switching back to Japanese machines took some mind control. :lol:

In retrospect I think I would have been better off with an older 200 Cub. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It would be interesting to know if the wheels on that Triumph 250 Trophy are indeed original (in really good shape) or are aftermarket vintage styled wheels from a company like Haan in the Netherlands.

http://www.haanwheels.com/classic-vinta ... nium-rims/

The heat shield on my silencer was different also . . ..

Nonetheless it's a fine looking bike in that picture. :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Old Grinner wrote:The valve adjustments need to be done every 12,000 miles.
Quite short for a Yamaha, some of them are over 20,000 miles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Quite short for a Yamaha, some of them are over 20,000 miles.
Wow . . .. Life passed me by on that tid bit of knowledge. That's a lotta miles or should I say a lot of "carefree" miles. :lol:

I hope to live so long. :roll:

As the old saying goes "A noisy valve is a happy valve". How the machine performs is another thing. ;)
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Old Grinner wrote:It would be interesting to know if the wheels on that Triumph 250 Trophy are indeed original
They were Borrani rims, made in Italy 8)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

They were Borrani rims, made in Italy 8)
Good choice! :D

I sort of knew they looked a bit "upscale" from OEM.

My Triumph Trophy 250 manual is still in decent condition. I took pics of a few pages for "ol time sake". :lol:
100_6129a.jpg
100_6130a.jpg
100_6131a.jpg
100_6133a.jpg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Well today I had a shot on an X-max 300, nice. 8)
Engine is better than the mk1 Forza 300, smoother, more oomph, better economy.
At one point doing a steady 70-72mph up a slight hill the instant fuel consumption readout said 96mpg o_O
Should be able to get four days commuting to a tank no bother at all.
Underseat area slightly disappointing, helmet did not fit in front section, rear only.
Could only get feet flat if move right to front of seat, but got enough foot down in normal seating position.
Am not a big fan of the styling, but you can't see it while you're riding it... :D
Was stubbier and broader than I had imagined from the photos.
Overall came away with a positive feeling about the X-max 300, its a fine machine and has much to recommend it.
Certainly a more practical scooter than the Vespa GTS300 just not as pretty, but I ain't buying a scooter just to sit and look at it. ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

Did you get the ride the Vespa GTS300?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

vito wrote:Did you get the ride the Vespa GTS300?
No, nearest used one in a dealer is too far away (140ish miles) so no test ride available close enough.

Decided against mainly for three reasons, in no particular order:

1: fuel tank too small, would need to refuel it every second day
2: I live close to the sea, fighting the rust would've been a constant war
3: full face helmet does not fit under seat
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Well today I had a shot on an X-max 300, nice. 8)
You quite well described it . . .. :geek:

About the styling . . . I kind of like it. My kids call it the "Bat Cycle". Actually the "Bat Cycle" in the Batman TV series back in the '60's was a customized Yamaha. But that's not why I bought it. :lol:

People do notice it though. They may have that look of curiosity when they see you coming . . .. :o

I find that if I lean to the kickstand side at a level stop I can steady the scooter with one foot down. But otherwise I do have to keep both my feet pointed down so as to reach the ground. Moving forward in the seat also helps as you mentioned.

Today I took mine out for my usual 18 mile loop and am averaging about 86 MPG the last time I looked. Speeds were mostly 35 MPH or so on level terrain with only a few stops . . .. I always use 87 Octane (91 RON) 10% ethanol containing gasoline and StarTron fuel treatment to tackle any phasing issues.

Because of the lower center of gravity I find it's rather easy to keep upright at extremely slow rolls.

You are right about the helmet space under the seat. I can get my HJC SyMax III under it and shut it in the rearmost location but not my new CL 17. I can however hang it by the D-Ring on that helmet peg that's on the starboard side forward and lock it in when I close the seat. Otherwise it's got enough space for me. I pushed the limit by putting a 17 lb. bag of birdseed in it a few weeks ago and although I could sense the effect on the handling characteristics it held it's own. I think the under seat load limit is 11 lbs. (without looking it up). That said there was plenty more space to put stuff. I've loaded groceries in there too and sometimes I have to ask myself is it worth taking the car . . .. :lol:

I never get tired of the "Welcome Aboard" notification and always feel like I'm ready to "leave the dock" for another adventure. It's like being at the "helm".

One thing to note though is that in some circumstances with an uneven road surface you will feel the suspension negotiating with itself. Not unruly but noticeable. A bit of flex is one way to describe it. It's a scooter with scooter characteristics and dynamics. It may crop up while riding on the "crown", or middle of the road like when you have to get around something like a parked truck or group of bicyclists to give them room or on a steel grated bridge. Just something to note . . .. :geek:

No regrets with the purchase . . .. It's a refined ride and at a reasonable price. :D

If I ever hit the lottery though I would still like to have that Vespa Sei Giorno II Edition though. One can never have too many toys. ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Suspension was very different to my SV, to be expected really.
Plusher, floatier.
Rear seemed softer than front.
Probably just a "feel" thing, would get used to it with more seat time.
If had time would've increased the preload one click, it was on the middle setting.
Despite that it cornered really well, stuck to a line perfectly.

Standout feature was the engine/drivetrain, definitely in a different league to the mk1 Forza 300.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I thought the rear stock shocks were very soft. But I am a heavy guy at 240 pounds. Even more so than my PCX. When I replaced them with the YSS units, the back became much more stable and didn’t hunt around after a railroad track or a speedbump. The ride is about the best that I’ve been on , on a scooter.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Jge64 wrote:I thought the rear stock shocks were very soft. But I am a heavy guy at 240 pounds. Even more so than my PCX. When I replaced them with the YSS units, the back became much more stable and didn’t hunt around after a railroad track or a speedbump. The ride is about the best that I’ve been on , on a scooter.
Me not a lightweight either and yes, rear damping seemed off as well as the spring rate.
Which YSS shocks did you get?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Glen
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

The rear turn signal’s may be need to be Dremeled a bit to get a good fit for the reservoir on the shock, I’m not sure, I took off those goofy looking turn signals and put on some FJ type daggers that Yamaha uses… then again this is a problem only on American bikes.
Attachments
151FF222-2C3A-48E1-8C72-3944D114F481.jpeg
151FF222-2C3A-48E1-8C72-3944D114F481.jpeg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Glen
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Turn signals are integrated with tail lights in EU
crop.jpg
crop.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

If had time would've increased the preload one click, it was on the middle setting.
Despite that it cornered really well, stuck to a line perfectly.
I increased the pre-load by one click on each rear shock shortly after I bought it. Since it was Winter I had a few good days to ride it before the weather turned foul again. Couldn't wait to get back on it. 8)

The access to make the adjustment is easy.
100_5723a.jpg
The ride is about the best that I’ve been on , on a scooter.
Totally agree . . .. And the best of all the motorcycles I've ever owned. Plush by comparison. 8)