2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

Post by Old Grinner »

You may want to send out for a pizza. . .it's all about me and it goes on forever. Sorry! :lol:

So today I sealed the deal and bought my brandy new XMax 300. :D

I took a few pics while it's still at the dealer. They have to finish prepping it etc. . ..

They offered to deliver it free of charge and gave me a really good OTD price. ;)

After all the research I did on the scoots in the 300cc range (and actually available/sold where I live) I came to the conclusion that for price and performance the XMax is the way to go. It was a "fit" for me and checked the important boxes. :geek:

The other marques have their pros and cons also. I really liked the Vespa GTS 300 but it's a bit pricey and I wanted larger wheels on a machine that will do 70+ MPH (120 KPH). The Suzuki Burgman 400 is just too heavy IMHO for what I was looking for and Honda continues offering just the Metropolitan and PCX. There are some bargains available out there with other brands but the dealer support and parts availability left me with concerns.

This will be my last 2-wheeler. Number 13 in a long list of bikes/scooters I've owned over the years starting with a Suzuki TC-90 (8 speed transmission . . . 4 high and 4 low) and ending with the XMax 300. I've gone fast, and far, and sought the fantasy that riders do of riding off into the sunset on another adventure that will lead to a renewed sense of freedom and stories of excitement and discovery always around the next turn . . . always just over the next hill. It's been my main "thing" since I was 18 and I never looked back except to replay the fond memories in my mind of experiences I encountered along Life's mysterious trail. I know why they call Buena Vista, Colorado "Buena Vista" and I know the excitement of a long two day ride with my wife (at the time) from the coast of Long Island Sound to Lake George, NY and back in the rain on a Kawasaki Ninja 750R. And lastly I know the experience of setting off to the summit of Mt. Washington, NH on my KLR 650 and returning home all within 24 hours. Some pretty crazy rides. . .but well worth it. . .and I'd do it all again. 8)

So the new scoot will be "just right" for the kind of riding I plan on doing from now until I can no longer get a leg over the saddle. That said I'm keeping my Bandit and KLR for the occasional Sunday rides on nice days and will look forward to using my Zuma 125 for more "off road" endeavors. It's all good . . .. :D
100_5575a.jpg
No regular key. It uses a "Smart Key" system. You activate and dial your selection . . .. There is an "old school" emergency key available to unlock the seat though from underneath. It kind of reminded me of Homie's suggestion about hooking up a link to spring the seat loose if you locked your keys in there.
100_5577a.jpg
I have to say it really felt comfortable from the very first impression. The seat, the seating position, the bars, the legroom, and the wind screen height and width all seemed about right.
100_5579a.jpg
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by big bear »

thats an iron max i bought my x max the same day i passed my test at the DMV its been mostly parked since november due to snow and that pee gravel the local township spreads on the roads in the winter ill be riding the zuma till sometime in april till the gravel washes off the roads.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

thats an iron max i bought my x max the same day i passed my test at the DMV its been mostly parked since november due to snow and that pee gravel the local township spreads on the roads in the winter ill be riding the zuma till sometime in april till the gravel washes off the roads.
It's just an XMax 300. The Iron Max is similar but has some additional nicer features including a different seat. :geek:

The 2019 XMax 300 is Matte Black in the U.S..

Here's a link to the Yamaha page.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/xmax

I've been using my Zuma often. It's my "go to" machine. As much as I've always liked my KLR I find that the Zuma is closer to the ground and for casual "off road" use it's becoming my preferred choice. The seat on the KLR is quite high and to take a spill off that in the woods at this stage of my life would not be a good thing. The older you get the more difficult it is to heal quickly. :lol:
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Super cool 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Super cool 8)
Thanks! :D

One thing for sure is I didn't have to spend $25K to stand out in the crowd. ;)

I'm really looking forward to morning rides along the CT River soon with a big grin knowing I'm not on my way to work. . .just on my way to my next cup of coffee. :lol:

The XMax has some technical features I've got to get familiar with so while I'm in the learning phase I'll be sure ride carefully and keep an eye ready for a wild boar coming out of the wood work. :o o_O :lol:
P1010002a.jpg
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

I guess that you've already had a look at this thread over on advrider but, if not, it's only 104 pages (at the moment) :D

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-xmax-300.1256178/
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I guess that you've already had a look at this thread over on advrider but, if not, it's only 104 pages (at the moment) :D
It looks like it's on the verge of creating page 105 . . ..

Opinions and mod suggestions are abundant on that forum. You can get hypnotized going through all the postings. I may consider joining later on. . .. Maybe by then it will be up to page 300. :lol:

I'm keeping mine stock for now and will note any electrical system issues if they occur. There are definitely "dos and don'ts" when it comes to using that "Smart Key". :? :geek: o_O :D
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I realize you "overread", and your other comments over the past couple months on this keyless ignition shows great consternation on your part. I really don't understand that; The key stays in my pocket , the bike starts ,it runs, it turns off ,I get off the bike. That's all there is to it ....the big adv for me is , once I get dressed and put my keys deep within my riding suit, I don't have to fish them out ever again. No keys straining on the keylock, or banging around and damaging my paint. I think keyless is great. of course that's the way it's been in all my cars for the past five years so I don't understand why this is a big thing now on bikes. It's a feature that most of us are using, on other vehicles right now.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I realize you "overread", and your other comments over the past couple months on this keyless ignition shows great consternation on your part. I really don't understand that; The key stays in my pocket , the bike starts ,it runs, it turns off ,I get off the bike. That's all there is to it ....the big adv for me is , once I get dressed and put my keys deep within my riding suit, I don't have to fish them out ever again. No keys straining on the keylock, or banging around and damaging my paint. I think keyless is great. of course that's the way it's been in all my cars for the past five years so I don't understand why this is a big thing now on bikes. It's a feature that most of us are using, on other vehicles right now.
I've never had a vehicle with a "Smart Key" system. Just the usual button push to lock/unlock and the rest is "old school".

Thanks for letting me know I have nothing to fear . . . but fear itself. :lol:

That said I thought I remembered reading something about not leaving the key in the 1 yard proximity of the machine if it's unattended or the system will remain activated. Also something about the "Smart Key" system turns off approximately 9 days after the vehicle was last used in order to preserve battery power (the answer back feature is disabled). To return to normal I guess you just push the main switch knob.

Other than that they say to turn off the "Smart Key" and take it with you when you leave the machine. The battery life for the key is about 2 years but does offer a warning indication. Also I guess the key is sensitive to radio waves, TV signals and the like. . .. I'll get into it more into it and enjoy the "newness" while it lasts. :D

I think this is the fail safe area to use the mechanical key to release the seat lock if needed. Hopefully I won't be foolish enough to allow that to happen. :lol:
100_5582a.jpg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:I realize you "overread", and your other comments over the past couple months on this keyless ignition shows great consternation on your part. I really don't understand that; The key stays in my pocket , the bike starts ,it runs, it turns off ,I get off the bike. That's all there is to it ....the big adv for me is , once I get dressed and put my keys deep within my riding suit, I don't have to fish them out ever again. No keys straining on the keylock, or banging around and damaging my paint. I think keyless is great. of course that's the way it's been in all my cars for the past five years so I don't understand why this is a big thing now on bikes. It's a feature that most of us are using, on other vehicles right now.

Exactly.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Congratulations on your new toy. A nice one at that.The one who dies with the most of them wins.So have at it and best of luck..rock on!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow! Good for you OldG! Why not make that move! I'm anxious to hear how you two get along 8)
I read the seats a bit taller at almost 32" - the PCX 29. something? Thicker heels fix that ;)
Yamaha has accessories available, that's considerate of them. Are you adding that center usb charger mount?
Here's my question (and sorry if it's been asked b4) but is there any diff between the X Max '18 and '19 model, besides the obvious...the color? I like the white, no surprise there.
Once seated, how much wider does the bike feel compared to PCX. I remember when the Forza was introduced and how I lost interest in it after sitting on one. Even though I could flatfoot it it was still Too much body width for me to feel comfortable, it felt awkward. That ended my previous excitement over it. I'm still curious as to whether Honda brings the new Forza our way or not. That may work. I know you were waiting too, but life's short, we can't sit around waiting for-ever! Didja hear that HONDA?

So, When do you take delivery?
Pics from Home awaited :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

No diff except color. If you had a problem sitting on a forza of because you're used to a PCX, the XMax will be the same. However it's the width of the seat that push your thighs out, instead of letting them go down, so a seat mod at a local shop would be fine. The optional comfort seat that Yamaha sells is just as wide as the stock seat, so that's not the answer. It's more comfortable as it's memory foam, but it's the same size.

Glen
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

WN - Once they deliver it later this week and I'm able to get some mileage racked up on it with clear, salt-free, roads I'll be able to give you a better idea and informed opinion than I have right now. I can say that my first impression of the seating position and comfort was better for me than the PCX was. I felt I had more room and padding. The seat width wasn't a problem for me. But like the Zuma 125 the seat is a bit deceivingly higher than you would think it is (XMax 31.3 inches vs Zuma 30.7 inches). :geek:

So far I've relied on postings here, like from Jge64, Big Bear, and Oldie, about their experiences with an XMax 300 and a lot of YouTube videos.

There's some really good French, Asian, and Italian reviews out there on YouTube as well. They are all a bit lengthy but when the weather is lousy and snowy or icy it's a nice way to spend the time. Perhaps a coffee to go along would help. . .. Snore? Who me? Never!!! LOL!!! :lol:

But there are two in particular I found very informative and are spoken in English. The one from Cager on Two Wheels mentions his reaction to the seat ergonomics and the "width" thing. That said, the seat on his XMax is different than the one mine has.

The Missenden Flyer found it to be like sitting in a car. The seat on his is just like mine. I guess a lot of it has to do with how things just fall into place with the individual. That said there is some mechanical adjustment available on the windscreen and handlebar.

If you do have skills with Italian I found this one to be very informative as well. Also, approaching the end of the video there are examples of the XMax 300 with the passenger backrest accessory, luggage rack and top box, and just stock so you can compare to see what suits your needs. I must say the ride through the Italian countryside is fun to watch too and gives you some idea of the suspension capabilities and overall experience.

Stay tuned for pics later on after it's delivered. . .. :D
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

I can't wait to read your first ride report - you're going to love it, no question. It's a great scoot with a great seat. It's quick and it's fun 8)

(Sorry, I've just done your report for you - all you need to do now is add the pics :D )
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Jge64 wrote:I realize you "overread", and your other comments over the past couple months on this keyless ignition shows great consternation on your part. I really don't understand that; The key stays in my pocket , the bike starts ,it runs, it turns off ,I get off the bike. That's all there is to it ....the big adv for me is , once I get dressed and put my keys deep within my riding suit, I don't have to fish them out ever again. No keys straining on the keylock, or banging around and damaging my paint. I think keyless is great. of course that's the way it's been in all my cars for the past five years so I don't understand why this is a big thing now on bikes. It's a feature that most of us are using, on other vehicles right now.
When I commuted to work by scooter my riding gear got stored under the seat.
So keyless would have been every bit as inconvenient as a proper key.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

gn2 wrote:
When I commuted to work by scooter my riding gear got stored under the seat.
So keyless would have been every bit as inconvenient as a proper key.

Good for you....I don't have that problem. I wouldn't be locking my key under the seat anyway no matter what I was wearing.
Glen
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Jge64 wrote:Good for you....I don't have that problem. I wouldn't be locking my key under the seat anyway no matter what I was wearing.
Tempting fate there.....
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Doesnt matter,you still have to carry something whether its in your pocket or in your ignition.Question is what is more reliable and cheaper to repair in the long term.