2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by Old Grinner »

Old Grinner,
Am I right in thinking that the XMax 300 uses shim-type valve adjustments?

Man, this may also be MY last & final bike choice!
Tks~
Yes, shim type valve adjustments are required. Yamaha calls them "adjusting pads". They come in a variety of sizes.

See the chart on this Yamaha Parts page and look for piece 13. You'll see they list it numerous times in different thicknesses.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... 76cc/valve

The upside is that the recommended schedule to check and adjust the 4 valves is every 12,000 miles or 19,000 Km. :D

FWIW I have absolutely no regrets buying my XMax 300. I would do it again . . ..

If I had to complain about anything it would be that I wish the high beam LED was a bit brighter at night. Distant reflective road signs or other reflective surfaces stand out in the darkness OK. It's just that I wish it had a bit more intensity of light on the road surface itself. That said, I don't do much night riding anymore anyways.

I was impressed with how quick it is and I have no problem keeping up with traffic on highways with 65 MPH speed limits. It has power to spare . . .. 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Some Yamahas have much longer intervals between valve clearance checks, so 12,000 miles is quite disappointing.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Some Yamahas have much longer intervals between valve clearance checks, so 12,000 miles is quite disappointing.
Compared to the Yamaha MT 03 I concur. :geek:

Yet it still ain't bad . . .. :D

Then again if it ain't broke don't fix it. As long as the XMax performs OK and you get some kind of tick from the valves you know they are closing. If it's obnoxious then it's definitely worth the time to pull things apart and brake out the feeler gauge. The adjustment pads don't cost much.

It's the first machine I ever rode that said "Welcome Aboard". LOL!!! :lol:
100_6576a.jpg
ChuckD
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by ChuckD »

Old Grinner,
I just picked up a 2019 this week... and had 2 extended rides. Wow!
(Will miss the sweet personality of the PCX150... potential buyer coming this weekend.)
2017 PCX150
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Old Grinner,
I just picked up a 2019 this week... and had 2 extended rides. Wow!
(Will miss the sweet personality of the PCX150... potential buyer coming this weekend.)
Congratulations!

Wow!!! does sum it up indeed. :D

I think the more you ride it the more you'll appreciate it. I may have mentioned it here before but my (now grown up) kids call it the "Bat Cycle". 8)

The seat is roomy and plush compared to other scooters I've ridden. You may find that by sliding forward at stops it will be easier to get your feet flat on the ground.

Under seat storage is abundant to the point where I didn't bother getting the Yamaha Top Box. That said I did make my own divider which helps to keep things from rolling into the deeper area.
100_5937a.jpg
Take your time getting used to it. You'll notice it has a longer turning radius.

When I top off my gas tank I use a lawn mower gas can . . . the kind with a long flexible neck. It's easier to add the fuel incrementally to check for how full the tank is getting. I try to angle the machine so that the sun light can shine into the filler neck opening enough to increase visibility. I've filled it up at gas stations but find it's easier to do it at home. Don't be surprised if your fuel economy chimes in around 90 MPG. So compared to the PCX you won't be disappointed about that. :D

The gas can shown in the link below is a lot fancier than mine and something I may consider getting in the future. The one I have now allows the flexible neck to sit inside the gas can when being stowed (there is a cap that seals it though) and the user gets a handful of gas when they need to use it the next time. :roll:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... ns/7539059

Since you've got a 2019 I would advise that you get a spare Smart Key Battery to carry around with you. The Warning Light for the Smart Key that I've mentioned previously here will give you some advance notice to replace the battery (CR2032) but as they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. They are good for about 2 years under normal use according to the Owners Manual and my own experience. :geek:

Hope it's good riding weather out there in your area today. Enjoy!
ChuckD
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by ChuckD »

Old Grinner, there's a new XMAX forum starting...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Yamaha_Xmax/
2017 PCX150
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Old Grinner, there's a new XMAX forum starting...
Hey,

Thanks for the link! :D

More interesting stuff at "Adventure Rider" also . . .. :geek:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-xmax-300.1256178/