If You Own an XMax 300 Watch This!

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

If You Own an XMax 300 Watch This!

Post by Old Grinner »

This video shows the installation of a Puig accessory item on a 2017 XMax 300 but it entails the removal and replacement of most of the plastic panels and under seat box as Yamaha calls it.

If you just wanted a "look see" at the engine all you do is remove 6 fasteners and lift the box out. The nice thing this video does is take you beyond that point and reveal how the other panels are assembled.

It seems relatively easy. Just takes time and patience. Talk about twist and go. :D

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: If You Own an XMax 300 Watch This!

Post by Jge64 »

The box comes out easily, I usually take the box out once a month to clean the underside and clean the back of the engine from Road dirt etc.… The first bolt he takes out on the rear can be replaced with a spring so that when you actuate the seat, it flies up easily and stays up ....having taken off all the plastic on the PCX and the X max, I would say neither bike is easier than the other, both about the same in difficulty when it comes to plastic.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Clean the back of the engine monthly?
Sounds like the XM has neglected a fender hugger on the rear tire -- just like the Burgman 400! Amazing amount of crap flying up in there from the tire -- and could have been addressed at the factory with a $3 piece of plastic.
I installed a tin panel behind the Burgman engine to catch the debris from the tire.
Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I should say I take the box out every couple months, I'm not that anal about it. They do make an internal fender which I mounted for about 50 bucks. Mounted the rear hugger too. Both Work great. (Ignore the black spot on the pipe, messing with pic edit)
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

With a steady approach and patience the entire front cover of the XMax 300 can be removed. Heavy on the patience . . .. :lol:

Just saw this last night and I have to say I was impressed. Removal of the battery/fuse box cover below the windscreen itself is a cinch by comparison. :geek:

nicole93
Year: 2018
Color: red

Post by nicole93 »

Wow thank you for this guide, I am planning to get the smaller Yamaha Xmax 125 soon. I choosing the Xmax 125 over the 300cc version just for fuel-efficiency. My main purpose is city commutes and I think the 125 is powerful enough to handle this.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

nicole93 wrote:I choosing the Xmax 125 over the 300cc version just for fuel-efficiency.
No need to get the 125 to save a small amount on fuel, because the 300 is amazingly fuel efficient.
Mine has averaged 89mpg since I've owned it and that's mostly been done between 55-65mph.
At lower speeds it will do over 100mpg.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:No need to get the 125 to save a small amount on fuel.
Are you SURE you are Scottish...?
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:No need to get the 125 to save a small amount on fuel.
Are you SURE you are Scottish...?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I did a little over 50 miles on mine today and averaged 89.2 MPG (U.S. Gallons containing ethanol and rated 87 octane or 91 RON).
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

mine only uses 32 ounces of fuel a day
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I've never taken off any panels on the front cover of my XMax to get access to the battery so was taken by surprise when I noticed what I thought was a "loose screw" on my windscreen. It's on the cover for the windscreen "leg shield stay" as they call it.

As it turned out it is what is called a "rivet" and will rotate if you try . . ..

Sometimes I randomly check fasteners on my machines to make sure things seem in order. I had considered at some point perhaps putting a lead to the battery terminals that would allow me to charge without having to keep removing front cover panels. I've read where others have done it with good results.

Anyhow . . . here's a pic showing two yellow arrows where the two "rivets" are and if you own an XMax 300 it's nothing to be alarmed about if you find they will turn quite easily with your fingers. And yes they even can be turned with a hex key. :lol:
100_6331ab.jpg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

They're cam locks and hold the plastic trim pieces on.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong