DEFINITIVE List of Upgrades for Those Wanting MORE Top Speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

DEFINITIVE List of Upgrades for Those Wanting MORE Top Speed

Post by grndslm »

As you could tell from the title.... I'm looking for things that DEFINITIVELY add more Top End.

If you upgraded ONE part and saw an increase over the 63 to 65 mph rev limiter, I'd like to know about it. And obviously, what is your new top end because of it.

People say that rollers *might* help the top end, so that's not good enough in itself. Theoretically, moving from 15g to 13g rollers *will* add more acceleration, because they are essentially delaying the "front sprocket" from moving to its "bigger teeth", which would give more top end. So lighter weight rollers are essentially delaying the top end! Perhaps it might allow more top end while going downhill, but I doubt it on flat land.

So then we come to upgrading the variator drive face..... making it larger should supposedly add more potential for a bigger "front sprocket", but if the rollers are light and aren't pushing the belt outward.... the potential is kinda wasted, no?

There's a video of Dr Pulley sliders being able to help both bottom and top end at the same time. --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc

That seems believable to me. And I also assume that changing the entire NCY kit for $250 or whatever would actually make the CVT's drivetrain lighter, allowing it to spin faster, and throw the lighter weight rollers and belt more outward around that "front sprocket" drive face.

Sooo...... there seems like 2 options to me. Anyone went with these 2 options or another option and seen a higher top speed that they'd like to share??

1) Dr. Pulley sliders with or without an upgraded variator (either Dr Pulley or NCY; people were afraid that sliders were ruining the teflon coating in the NCY drive face, but it appears from a few reports in the forum that rollers actually cause more wear to the teflon coating than the Dr Pulley sliders).

2) Entire NCY kit (which really wouldn't be such a bad idea for me personally, since I've got a 2013 PCX that will likely need a new clutch bearing pretty soon).

I would love to see this thing hit 75 or 80 just once so I could brag to all the dealers I ran into yesterday that said 250s weren't big enough to ride on the interstate. Technically, he's correct from a safety point of view, as the majority of drivers here travel 80 to 85 mph..... but even on the 55 mph roads I frequent, I really do need to be capable of hitting 70 or 75 to safely move out of the way.

So what did you do to see top end improvements??
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: DEFINITIVE List of Upgrades for Those Wanting MORE Top S

Post by Jge64 »

Moving to the ncy variator and ncy 13g rollers, got me in the 70's...nothing more needs to be said.

But i needed more consistent top end and a solid 70-75 mph cruise , so I upgraded to 300 cc....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

+1 above

Mine can do 75 nicely. The roller change just helped me get there faster. Make sure your belt is new of close to new as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

grndslm wrote: So what did you do to see top end improvements??
Note: all speed indications are from the odometer not GPS speeds.

I have a 125 cc PCX esp (2015), stock I was hitting the rev limiter at 105 km/h - only able to reach this when performing crouching tiger moves with wind coming from the back.

1) Installed a Givi medium sized windscreen, I was hitting the rev limiter without tucking down at this point.
2) Next I changed the standard 15 gr. rollers to 13.5 Dr. Pulley sliders, top speed went to 115 km/h without hitting the rev limiter.

Now I am thinking about installing a Dr. Pulley variator (https://drpulley.shopnix.de/Dr-Pulley-s ... anguage=en as this is easy to get over here - the NCY variator is a bit more hassle with customs :( ). The dr pulley variator comes standard with 15gr sliders and supposed to have a slightly different shape; so I assume the top speed might increase slightly. I am not expecting much; but I'll be happy with 3 km/h more. I have searched around the internet in the hope of finding someone with a 125 esp pcx 2015 who has installed this variator to see the result, but so far I have not found a review of this. The problem is that if you search for dr pulley variator you only get results about the sliders... Worst thing that can happen is that it is ~200 € wasted (as the sliders are not included in the variator).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

With a 125cc bike don't expect to get a topend up there where the 150cc goes. However, just because you asked, I upgraded the variator and drive face, plus the belt. Those alone allowed the bike more topend. The rollers were changed just so that I could pull away from traffic quicker.

Honda is conservative and did not put their parts together for quicker takeoff and higher topend. They selected the parts for better fuel economy. Aftermarket variators were created for higher topend.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

Oh I forgot: 3) i only weigh 70 kg
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Same as me!! 155 pounds!

I think I'm going to go with the Dr Pulley variator and sliders. Seems like this variator and its sliders allow for the max acceleration & top speed... plus not having Teflon that easily wears out, creating a sticky surface in the end, seems like it's worth twice the price to me.

I'll probly try 13, 14, & 15 gram sliders.... And if 13 is the best, *then* I'll try the 12s.

Also, a new belt as recommended.

And definitely need some grippier clutch pads (saw some recommended for a different Honda that also fits the PCX... will have to find the link again).

And last but not least, I should change the variator drive face (front half, right?) for something lighter, longer, and/or a steeper angle... Anyone have a suggestion for this last piece of my puzzle?? Just NCY? ... or is there something else from webike that might be a better value?? Or is the stock drive face actually good enough with the Dr Pulley variator? Hmm...

Thank you for any and all tips, btw!! Can't believe it took me this long to decide to do this. 63 to 65 mph was fine for me for a year and a half, but I need more now! Muuuhahahahaha!!!!!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Ganglylamb wrote:Oh I forgot: 3) i only weigh 70 kg

Not how it works.
You must put both feet on the scales.
Just sayin'...
Fish

* maybe a few more waffles ea. morning?
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Here's the link to the non-PCX clutch pads that solve the shuddering problem at take off...

www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php

Now just need drive face info. I assume lighter, taller, and slightly steeper angle are all better attributes for more top speed?
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

fish wrote:
Ganglylamb wrote:Oh I forgot: 3) i only weigh 70 kg

Not how it works.
You must put both feet on the scales.
Just sayin'...
Fish

* maybe a few more waffles ea. morning?
We all know performance tuning is a delicate balancing act - I might have taken that quite too literal. :lol:
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black Metallic

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

I went with the NCY full variator kit 13g rollers drive face and variator and the GIVI short windscreen. My 2015 Honda PCX150 went from hitting the revlimiter at 62mph to a top speed of 75mph all GPS readings. It now hits the revlimiter at 75mph. This year I will put a new rear tire on as the stock tire is worn down in the middle and getting the choppy look. I may do the gear change while I have the tire off and make the variator weight adjustments from there. I stand 5'9" 32" inseam and only weigh in at 165lbs dripping wet lol. So far I enjoy it and it gives this old retired/disabled old mechanic something to tinker with. I am also going to make a variator face tool to work with the NCY face so it is easier to torque the nut.

For most of the tech nuts (my self included): When doing the variator changes one thing that most never think about is going lighter on the full kit also removes rotational mass/weight at the crank = more power to the drive train. In hot rodding the less the crank has to rotate (power steering alt water pump etc. flex fan ) = more power to give the drive train. Old school drag racing. Most drag cars have no belt at all. Fully charged battery would run the engine/electric water pump for the short drag runs. To run a water pump and alternator on a 283ci small block took 10-15 crank hp.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18)
Metallic Black
Leo Vince GP Corsa Exhaust
NCY Variator Kit and Drive Face with 18g rollers
Givi Windscreen D1136T
2 Wheels Down Head on a Swivel
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Hmmm...I wonder how fast I can go if I take the belt off...just sayin'.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black Metallic

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Mel46 wrote:Hmmm...I wonder how fast I can go if I take the belt off...just sayin'.
lol Motor would go super fast but you will not get any place fast lol. ;)

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Fold on.....
2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18)
Metallic Black
Leo Vince GP Corsa Exhaust
NCY Variator Kit and Drive Face with 18g rollers
Givi Windscreen D1136T
2 Wheels Down Head on a Swivel
power-full
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: preta

Post by power-full »

my 89 mile hour (144kh)
My thread in technical
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7172
Enviado do meu 6055K através do Tapatalk

Edited: WN 3.13.19 added link
https://www.facebook.com/sergiofininho
Pcx powerfull kit yuminashi 168cc
93000km 23.03.2022 dont stop..
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

2018 PCX 150
NCY Variator+Sliders
Wirus Win Exhaust + Steady Intake
Results: 74mph MAX/ Faster Acceleration.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

Edited^^^

77mph with 140 rear tire.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Jge64 wrote:
But i needed more consistent top end and a solid 70-75 mph cruise , so I upgraded to 300 cc....
Always the best answer.
Since scooters are built to perform safely.
Brakes, wheelbase, weight, reinforced chassis, will need to be added in order to safely add more speed.

Need more speed, don't buy that, buy this one over here!
Fish
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

fish wrote:
Always the best answer.
Since scooters are built to perform safely.
Brakes, wheelbase, weight, reinforced chassis, will need to be added in order to safely add more speed.

Need more speed, don't buy that, buy this one over here!
Fish
I agree. Cruising 60-65 all day long is no issue (7600-8500rpms). Cruising 70+ puts the engine around 9,000rpms +/- 200rpms which is probably not the best thing for the engine. Aside from the wind effects of those speeds on such a light bike and small wheels.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Where can i get a NCY variator for my 2013 PCX150? I think it's time i replace the stock variator as my top speed (hitting rev limiter) has gradually decreased over the years from 72pmh brand new down to 57mph now.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Just ordered the NCY variator from corsportusa.com, will let ya know what happens after i get it installed.