zuma 125

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

zuma 125

Post by big bear »

theres a zuma 125 2015 model new never riden for 2300 i might go look at it if im out the door for under 3 grand is that a good deal
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: zuma 125

Post by Old Grinner »

theres a zuma 125 2015 model new never riden for 2300 i might go look at it if im out the door for under 3 grand is that a good deal
My quick answer is that it's a great price but being a 2015 it's the older design and lacks a lot of the nice improvements that were introduced in the 2016 and following model years. It's up to you . . . money vs features and improvements. Read on for more info IMHO. :D

The older 2015 Zuma has the gas tank filler in front of the seat. It's a pain in the neck to put gas in it. It also sacrificed valuable storage space under the seat. The brakes on the 2015 were not so great. . .just a disc in the front and drum in the rear. There was no grocery bag hook or glove box/cubby hole. The headlight configuration was the old side by side configuration. It always looked awkward. One on and one off. The gauges were old school . . . nice but old school. The hand grabs for the passenger were not great . . . just a bar in back of the seat. There were no passenger foot pegs . . . just a narrow space on the side of the floorboards. I may have forgotten something but that pretty well sums it up. If you really want a Zuma 125 and have had a chance to sit on one in the showroom floor to see if it fits or had a chance to test ride one I highly recommend getting a 2016 or newer instead. Personally I wouldn't buy an older Zuma 125 no matter what the price but that's just me. It's not a hugely expensive machine to begin with so that is a good thing. :|

Here is why I think the 2016 and newer model year Zuma 125's are the way to go . . .. :D
100_5116a.jpg
The gas tank is now down low with the filler cap on the leg shield (same as on the SMax). It's much easier to fill it up with a nozzle at a gas station now. The space that was freed up under the seat from relocating the gas tank allows for storage of longer items. The new Zuma has disc brakes front and rear and I gotta tell ya they are good! :D
100_5127a.jpg
There is a grocery bag hook and storage bin/cubby on the leg shield now. I can easily fit my leather gloves and reading glasses in the storage bin. The headlight configuration is much better and high beam at night lights up the road pretty good considering it's not LED. The new gauges are LCD with a clock, tachometer, trip meter, odometer, speedometer (in big easy to read numbers), oil change warning alert, and fuel gauge. The hand grabs run along the sides now and are more practical. If you get an accessory luggage rack they get removed and the rack replaces them. 8)
100_5111a.jpg
The new Zuma has real foot pegs. . .just don't stand on them with all your weight. They are meant to rest one's feet . . . not for full time duty. See the following videos for a review on the newer model.

A 2,300 mile review:

Same owner with a 3,500 mile review:

I got the Yamaha accessory windshield and find it totally acceptable.

There isn't any charging port but then again I never needed one. I'm not a cell phone junkie. And if I do bring a device with me I make sure it's charged before I leave the house. It's not like I'm going away for days at a time. :lol:

I have no buyer's remorse with the Zuma. I found the seat on my 2018 easier to deal with than the one on my 2017 PCX. No hump or dished area that limits my movement. That said there is just ever so slight a bit of a hump between the rider and pillion area but the padding is ample and I am always comfortable. Over all I'd say you feel like you sit "on" the Zuma 125. . .not "into" the Zuma 125. And one must remember we are only talking about a 125cc scooter.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i was thinking it might be good for some of the roads im riding ive seen you tube videos of the zuma on dirt roads plus since its only 125ccs it would be easier for me to control on some of these back roads with the gravel on them. Once the gravel washes off in the spring ill be able to ride the pcx and the x max more i c an still ride them but im limited to main roads and i really dont like higher speed traffic my average speed on the x max computer is 18 mph
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

i was thinking it might be good for some of the roads im riding ive seen you tube videos of the zuma on dirt roads plus since its only 125ccs it would be easier for me to control on some of these back roads with the gravel on them. Once the gravel washes off in the spring ill be able to ride the pcx and the x max more i c an still ride them but im limited to main roads and i really dont like higher speed traffic my average speed on the x max computer is 18 mph
The older design was a good machine also but it just doesn't have the improvements that the 2016 and newer Zuma 125's have.

Always best to make an informed decision.

If it's a brand new 2015 off the showroom floor for $2,300 plus tax and fees it certainly is tempting.

Sounds like you just want to use it in dirt or dirt covered roads at slow speeds. One thing for sure is you'll be able to keep your new PCX and XMax clean and just ride them when the roads are clear.

The Zuma is relatively easy to clean.

Good luck!

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you . . .. :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i bought it i was out the door for 2700 i was worried i might not be able to sit on it and have my feet flat on the ground but i was able to with no problem the salesperson even told me they have knobby tires in stock for the zuma if i want them theres 5 inches of snow here so i wont be able to ride it for a little while my insurance went down 13 bucks for adding a 3rd bike i have no idea why but the lady said ill be getting a check in the mail its silver with some red
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

i bought it i was out the door for 2700 i was worried i might not be able to sit on it and have my feet flat on the ground but i was able to with no problem the salesperson even told me they have knobby tires in stock for the zuma if i want them theres 5 inches of snow here so i wont be able to ride it for a little while my insurance went down 13 bucks for adding a 3rd bike i have no idea why but the lady said ill be getting a check in the mail its silver with some red
Congratulations!

You won't regret the Zuma . . . even the older model.

The seat is a bit high but not too high for most people. Yours has the gas tank filler under the front of the seat right?

Everything is fairly easy to work on. You should be able to remove that panel underneath the front of the seat by unscrewing just a few fasteners. The valve covers are right there. The lower one (exhaust) can be removed OK but when you adjust or check the valve clearance it takes a bit of doing. The top (intake) valve cover is easy to remove and access the valves.
100_5273a.jpg
100_5274a.jpg
Maybe it's me but the engine sound reminds me of an airplane. :lol:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

yes the gas tank is at the front of the seat i have a curved funnel that should work for putting fuel in i dont know when ill be able to ride it we have 5 inches of snow and were supposed to get 8 more on saturday
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It figures . . .. Just when you get the new scoot Old Man Winter starts up again. :roll:

Well. . .the upside is it will give you time to familiarize yourself with your new Zuma and read the owners manual and stuff.

As I've mentioned before I often top off the gas tank in my Zuma (and sometimes my motorcycles) using a lawn mower gas can. It's easy and convenient and I can pour it slower than it would come out of the pump at a gas station. Hence less of a chance of overfilling. ;)

We are possibly going to be in the path of a major storm next weekend. How it tracks will make a big difference as to whether we get mostly snow or rain. Time will tell.

When the weather is more favorable and the roads are ride worthy in your area let us know if the Zuma turns out to be everything you hoped for . . .. :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

This video is a few years old and it features some "off road" riding on the older model Zuma 125. Worth a look though . . .. 8)

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

The little Zuma 50F and Ruckus look like a lot of fun too:

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

This thread could use some music :D
RIP Aretha

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

This thread could use some music :D
RIP Aretha
She is sadly missed by us all . . ..

Thanks for the post Gator! :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

yes i watched all those videos old grinner before buying the zuma im still watching them i cant do anything else right n ow theres freezing rain outside
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

took the zuma for a 12 mile ride it was 55 degrees and sunny
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

This thread could also do with some punctuation!

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

took the zuma for a 12 mile ride it was 55 degrees and sunny
Life was good! :D

I think you'll find the more you ride the Zuma 125 the more you are going to like it. 8)

It's a good durable machine. Just be careful when you fill up the gas tank. . .it's awkward where it's located on your model. I still fill up my scooter from a lawnmower gas can. ;)

We came out of the deep freeze today . . . but still cold.

Tomorrow will be it bit more warmer.

I've held back on using my scoot (and motorcycle) recently due to the amount of salt still on the road. It gets like a fine powder and as cars/trucks and wind move it around it's like driving through a salty haze. It's avoidable where you can see it piled up but the powdery stuff is almost impossible to avoid when it's airborne.

We need some rain to wash it off. But we've had so much rain lately we don't need more rain either. Damn that Global Warming and extreme weather lately.

Can't wait for Spring . . . but I'll be out on the Zuma again as soon as the roads clear up. :D

The car is going to need a good washing too. Need to rinse out all the nooks and crannies that where that road salt may linger. :?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

This thread could also do with some punctuation!

As you wish! :lol: :lol: :lol:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

the zuma seems really stable there was small gravel all over the roads but i had no trouble with it. Yes the gas tank i have a small bendable funnel i use i put some gas in an old powerade quart bottle and pour it in from that
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

60 degrees and sunny took the zuma out again got 26 miles on it now
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Took mine out yesterday and today. Cold and windy yesterday but sunny. Today was just plain cold and damp. . .storm on the horizon for tonight and tomorrow.

I like the Yamaha windshield I had installed on my Zuma when I bought it. It, and the brush guards, really makes riding more tolerable in temps hovering around freezing. 8)

Can't wait for my deal to go through with the XMax. Still have to wait about another week. :roll:

I think I'll start looking at filters and stuff to order and have ready when I'll need them for the first maintenance and subsequently the second one. :D