Yamaha SMAX vs. PCX 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Yamaha SMAX vs. PCX 150

Post by GatorGreg »

Took my new 2018 Yamaha SMAX for a Christmas Eve ride and made a vid where I give my thoughts on how it compares to my old 2015 Honda PCX 150. I also do some testing on the highway from about the 24 to 38 min mark where I hit a top speed of 82 (indicated) mph - probably not the best way to break it in - LOL. Enjoy!

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Yamaha SMAX vs. PCX 150

Post by Old Grinner »

Thanks for the great video!

I was impressed that the under seat storage area could handle that extra large FF helmet. And it will go 70+ consistently with more throttle left on the expressway too? Wow! 8)

I can see that your Christmas is going to be much better today now that you have your new SMax. :D
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:Thanks for the great video!

I was impressed that the under seat storage area could handle that extra large FF helmet. And it will go 70+ consistently with more throttle left on the expressway too? Wow! 8)

I can see that your Christmas is going to be much better today now that you have your new SMax. :D
You're welcome - I had a lot of fun on that ride! I plan to do a night ride test video in the near future (like I did on my old PCX) to see how effective the headlights are and what the dash display looks like.

For those who haven't seen it, here's a link to Motorcycle.com's "Highway Hopper Scootout" that I referenced in the video:
https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/h ... r-scootout

One thing I forgot to mention in the video is that I'm really impressed so far with the quality and fit/finish of my Taiwanese made SMAX. It's definitely up to the level of my old Vietnamese made PCX 150. I've never owned a Yamaha before but so far I'm extremely pleased - except with the damned pumpkin turn signals LOL. I read in Consumer Reports that Yamaha motorcycles had a slightly better reliability rating than even Honda which was surprising to me. I'm hoping that carries through to their scooters.

Link: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

my x max has the same turn signals
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

One thing I forgot to mention in the video is that I'm really impressed so far with the quality and fit/finish of my Taiwanese made SMAX. It's definitely up to the level of my old Vietnamese made PCX 150.
X2 :D

As an added note if you ever get a chance to ride it with a passenger it would be interesting to know how capable it is as a "two up" machine.

Also is the load capacity still 353 lbs. maximum with rider, passenger, cargo?

And inquiring minds would like to know if the rear shock is adjustable for pre-load, are the intake and exhaust valves still screw and nut adjustment, and do you consider the non LED headlight acceptable? I can tell you my Zuma 125 headlight is not LED, not as bright as my PCX was, but still quite good for halogen 55W. The line of site straight ahead is excellent but doesn't seem as wide as the PCX. It may be an H7? :geek:
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention in the video is that I'm really impressed so far with the quality and fit/finish of my Taiwanese made SMAX. It's definitely up to the level of my old Vietnamese made PCX 150.
X2 :D

As an added note if you ever get a chance to ride it with a passenger it would be interesting to know how capable it is as a "two up" machine.

Also is the load capacity still 353 lbs. maximum with rider, passenger, cargo?

And inquiring minds would like to know if the rear shock is adjustable for pre-load, are the intake and exhaust valves still screw and nut adjustment, and do you consider the non LED headlight acceptable? I can tell you my Zuma 125 headlight is not LED, not as bright as my PCX was, but still quite good for halogen 55W. The line of site straight ahead is excellent but doesn't seem as wide as the PCX. It may be an H7? :geek:
Yes I think it's 353 pounds. The GVWR sticker says 681 pounds and Yamaha claims the wet weight to be 328 pounds, so 681 - 328 = 353 pounds. I tend to fluctuate between 200 and 210 pounds so that leaves me at least 143 pounds to play with - my lady friends are usually in the 110 to 140 range so I should be alright - I'll let you know how it goes :D

I could be wrong but I don't believe the rear shock is adjustable for preload. There's a sticker in the cargo area that says to raise the rear tire pressure from 29 to 33 psi if carrying more than 198 pounds so I guess I should go ahead and boost the pressure since I myself am over 198 pounds - LOL. Sorry, I have no idea about the valves other than there are 4 of them and they are supposed to be checked after a certain number of miles. I've read on another forum that they are readily accessible though so it shouldn't cost too much time or money to do it.

I consider the non LED headlight acceptable but I do wish it were LED or HID as that's what I'm used to now. I'll post a vid of my recent night ride where you can see how effective the lights are.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Here's a new night ride review vid of my 2018 Yamaha SMAX. I'll also post a similar vid I made for my 2015 PCX 150 so we can compare and contrast :D

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I just got done watching the night video. . .your camera works great. :D

Your opinion about the head light on the SMax sort of echoes my view of the 2018 Zuma headlight. :geek:

I found the low beam to be geared more for urban type riding. . .adequate but not stellar. The high beam is rather good. . .lights up the road ahead about as good as it can get with the 55W. Maybe it's me but I would describe the comparison of light between the PCX LED and Zuma Halogen as slightly blue white vs slightly yellow white and the horizon coverage of the PCX seemed broader than the Zuma. Since most of my riding is during day light hours now it's kind of a non-issue but when I do ride at night I like to use roads with less traffic so I can use the high beam more.

All in all I think my Zuma is an excellent scooter for the $$ and judging by your comments (and those of the reviews you mentioned) I think the SMax is a lot of scooter for just a few hundred $$ more. Plus the SMax gauges are very well lit which is really important.

It really can give one pause when trying to make a decision between spending roughly $4k OTD for a nice scoot that will exceed 70 MPH and with very usable features and a slightly bigger one that will go a little faster, with maybe a little more room, and carry a little more for an extra $2+K.

At the end of the day you really have to ask yourself to weigh the differences between what you want vs what you need vs what does the job. 8)

One last note. . .those Yamaha front and rear disc brakes work fantastic don't they? They nailed it on that engineering. :geek:
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:I just got done watching the night video. . .your camera works great. :D

Your opinion about the head light on the SMax sort of echoes my view of the 2018 Zuma headlight. :geek:
Yeah my old GoPro still works pretty good - I notice things now watching that video that I didn't realize when riding, namely that the problem with the low beam is it cuts off way too low IMO. It really lights up the area in front of the scooter rather nicely, but it just doesn't extend out far enough which was my main concern with it. I need to check the owner's manual to see if it can be adjusted to extend out maybe another 50 feet or so. The other thing I notice about the low beam is it's not wide enough, especially compared to my 2015 PCX's LED low beams which illuminated quite a bit off to each side of the road when I watch that video. When I hit the high beam on the SMAX, it lights up the whole road with what looks like a giant round fish bowl of light - LOL - something I didn't really notice while actually riding but probably explains why I was happy with their performance.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:One last note. . .those Yamaha front and rear disc brakes work fantastic don't they? They nailed it on that engineering. :geek:
Oh yeah, the brakes on the SMAX are really good, maybe the best brakes I've ever had on a two wheeled vehicle. It sucks that we have to step up to the 300cc class XMAX to get ABS from Yamaha in the USA when Honda has begun offering it as an option on the 2019 PCX. However, the brakes on the SMAX are still excellent and I was surprised to see it uses the same 267mm front and 245mm rear discs as the faster and heavier XMAX (albeit without ABS).

In comparison to the PCX 150, the rear disc on the SMAX is actually bigger than the front disc of the PCX (220mm) which still uses a 130mm drum brake in the rear. Your Zuma 125 also has bigger brakes than the PCX with a 245mm front disc and a 200mm rear disc. The SMAX's brakes are also bigger than the Honda Forza (256mm front and 240mm rear). The brake levers on the SMAX are also positioned very well for two finger squeezing and have great feel. And like the SMAX, your Zuma has the same 120 mm wide tire in front and 130 mm wide tire in the rear, giving it a significantly wider tire contact patch than the PCX for the brakes to work with - I'm not an engineer but I assume that helps with the braking as well.

I've created a chart below to compare the sizes of the brakes :geek:

................................Front................Rear
Honda PCX 150.........220 mm disc.......130 mm drum
Yamaha Zuma 125.....245 mm disc.......200 mm disc
Honda Forza.............256 mm disc......240 mm disc
Yamaha SMAX...........267 mm disc.......245 mm disc
Yamaha XMAX...........267 mm disc.......245 mm disc
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

I've amended my chart below to include the Suzuki Burgman 200 and, just for shits and giggles, the 541 pound, 105 mph, 582 cc, $9,270 Honda Silver Wing (the 2013 model which I believe was the last Silver Wing sold in the USA). Clearly I have no life :D

................................Front................Rear
Honda PCX 150.........220 mm disc.......130 mm drum
Suzuki Burgman 200...240 mm disc.......240 mm disc
Yamaha Zuma 125.....245 mm disc.......200 mm disc
Honda Forza.............256 mm disc......240 mm disc
Yamaha SMAX...........267 mm disc.......245 mm disc
Yamaha XMAX...........267 mm disc.......245 mm disc
Honda Silver Wing.....276 mm disc.......240 mm disc
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

yes but i love your video reviews other than riding i dont have a life either
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Yeah my old GoPro still works pretty good - I notice things now watching that video that I didn't realize when riding, namely that the problem with the low beam is it cuts off way too low IMO. It really lights up the area in front of the scooter rather nicely, but it just doesn't extend out far enough which was my main concern with it. I need to check the owner's manual to see if it can be adjusted to extend out maybe another 50 feet or so. The other thing I notice about the low beam is it's not wide enough, especially compared to my 2015 PCX's LED low beams which illuminated quite a bit off to each side of the road when I watch that video. When I hit the high beam on the SMAX, it lights up the whole road with what looks like a giant round fish bowl of light - LOL - something I didn't really notice while actually riding but probably explains why I was happy with their performance.
You are right about the lighting patterns. I figured the lower horizon with the low beam would be more suitable for city environments where there would be a lot of street lights and dense oncoming traffic. So keeping the light concentrated lower would be more of a courtesy to other city traffic riders/drivers.

That said, I felt the Zuma low beam fell short on the broadness of the lighting pattern. . .so areas to the far left or right (and up close) would be relatively dark. That means a possum, raccoon, skunk, or deer could creep out into the road on you with less advance warning. In a city environment with all the traffic and over head lighting it would be a non-issue but in rural areas or suburbs it causes one to be more alert.

However, I found the high beam to be a different situation, . . . as you did. Traveling along at 45 to 50 MPH it really does light the road ahead quite brilliantly. If a critter is on the edge of the road or in the road you can see them well ahead of time and prepare your evasive maneuver or stopping strategy. But what all that well lit forward pattern on the horizon sacrifices is a bit of darkness in the foreground right and left perimeters. Not bad. . .but noticeable. Nothing is perfect. I find I ride taking the night vision capabilities into consideration and ride accordingly. I generally know where to expect deer and moose. Other critters can pop up almost anywhere but are easier to deal with. Coyotes or Coy Wolves are like dogs and you may never see them for a long time and then all of a sudden they start popping up. I suspect they migrate.

Oh, and about the brakes, I like them just the way they are on my Zuma. No ABS (although I know there are a lot of fans of ABS). And I also like the horn button being in the traditional location. 8)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

After seeing some reviews a while back on the Suzuki Burgman 200 I didn't see where it was worth the extra $$ when you compare what you would get from the PCX or SMax.

I think in the Suzuki lineup the best place to start would be with the Burgman 400. 8)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Old Grinner wrote:After seeing some reviews a while back on the Suzuki Burgman 200 I didn't see where it was worth the extra $$ when you compare what you would get from the PCX or SMax.

I think in the Suzuki lineup the best place to start would be with the Burgman 400. 8)
Agree that a Burg 400 is the best of the 3 Burgmans.....a lightly used one will save you a bundle over the ridiculously high MSRP. Many dealers have left-over models to unload at prices a thousand or two off sticker if you really want a new scooter.
Fish
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

I think Suzuki should come out with a 150cc class scooter in the USA to more directly compete with the Honda PCX 150 and Yamaha SMAX. I sat on a Burgman 200 about a week ago and couldn't believe they wanted $4,999 for it. I suppose the bigger engine makes it more capable on the highway and it looks fairly nice from a distance. But I was not impressed with the quality when I got up close - the dash and switches looked and felt really cheap compared to the PCX and SMAX. I also didn't like the seating position, felt way too low like I was sitting in a wheel chair or something. Plus the whole thing seemed much bigger and clumsier than the PCX or SMAX. I much prefer the nimble size of the PCX and SMAX. I didn't feel like the Burgman 200 was something anyone would really cross shop with the PCX and SMAX, it's size and price takes it more into the 300cc class XMAX and Forza territory.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Storage Capacity

I'm not sure of the exact specs for the underseat storage of my SMAX compared to the PCX (anyone know the exact liter or gallon rating of both?) but it seems to be roughly the same as my old 2015 PCX. It can hold my XL full face Iron Man helmet (as seen in my vid above) and it passed my Firehouse Subs test so I'm happy :D I know both models offer an optional top case but I prefer to not have to add one of those. I definitely prefer the large cubby hole under the dash of the SMAX for ease of access - I like being able to just toss my gloves and a bottle of water in it. But of course the glove box design of the PCX has the advantage of being able to hide valuables out of sight and is fairly waterproof from what I remember.
Attachments
IMG_5167.JPG
IMG_5167.JPG (127.75 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Storage Capacity
Oh yeah. . .you've got your priorities right!

To heck with the IPads and Laptops and extra jackets storage items. . .it's all about the meat and cheese grinders! :D

Throw in some side orders of fries and onion rings too! :lol:
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:
Storage Capacity
Oh yeah. . .you've got your priorities right!

To heck with the IPads and Laptops and extra jackets storage items. . .it's all about the meat and cheese grinders! :D

Throw in some side orders of fries and onion rings too! :lol:
You might like this then :D

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

When I was looking into getting my PCX I did actually see your KFC PCX video adventure. . .. 8)

I used to stuff large fish grinders with a 2L bottle of soda in mine with plenty of space to spare. A bag of apples, a bunch of bananas, bread, milk, and maybe a few other items would fit easily.

My new Zuma has an abundant storage area also. Shaped a bit different than the PCX but nonetheless spacious. I put a battery operated LED light under the seat (used to have it in my PCX) that works great. . .takes AAA batteries.

BTW I don't think the turn signal stalks on the SMax are an issue. If anything they are more apparent to other drivers/riders IMHO and being yellowish orange sort of stand out more. It's when, as on some scooters, they hang from under the handlebars and you break them off in tight turns due to leg interference that I think they are a problem. I broke one and had to replace it on my Genuine Roughhouse not too long after I bought it a few years ago. It was a nice scoot for the money but the turn signal locations always bugged me. Well it's history now. . .I no longer own it. . .used it as a trade towards the Zuma with my PCX. I will say for used scoots they did sell quickly. :D

Here's a pic of my Zuma's storage area.
100_5127a.jpg