My 2016 PCX 150 (Cambodia)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

My 2016 PCX 150 (Cambodia)

Post by PCX2016 »

Welcome to my 2018 Honda PCX 150. I just purchased this moto. In this thread, I'm going to post pictures of my maintenance, and any questions I may have. I have already posted about six or seven different threads, and as another member suggested I should post pictures of my progress. So here in this thread I will post all of my question, and then they progress that I have made with my moto.

Currently I am living in Cambodia, which can be defined as an urban hell. You have probably seen videos on YouTube, with hundreds of motos at a stoplight, and the traffic looking unbelievably crazy. Yep, that's where I live now. I believe that, having a moto with excellent brakes, good maneuverability, and great acceleration will help keep me safe in this Urban hell. Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
American in Cambodia !!!
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Re: My 2016 PCX 150 (Cambodia)

Post by PCX2016 »

After receiving the maintenance manual, I decided to do a 'proper' oil change. When I purchase the moto last week it had 1000 km on it. So I figured it is time for an oil change. The dealer that I picked up the moto from did a regular oil change, but did not clean the screen. I only learned the screen needed to be cleaned after reading the maintenance manual.

Currently I am on the search for some tools, but I decided to stop by a Honda dealer today and see how much they want for an oil change. 5 USD, I can't go wrong with that price so, I opted for an oil change.

This mechanic was such a tool. The first thing I noticed , all the other bikes on the lift was on the center stand . This guy had my moto on the side stand , and I know that the oil would not be properly drained if the bike is on the side stand . So I went over to the guy and I held the bike straight up . Also there's a language barrier so that gave us some more issues. I asked the guy about cleaning the screen and he says no no no no . I had to get someone else to explain to him that the screen needed to be clean . Now the other guy said no no no , so I showed the PDF on my phone about cleaning the screen, and they said okay we can clean it for an extra $5. So the total for the oil change and adding a little bit of coolant was $12. $5 for the oil change, $5 for the screen, and $2 for a bottle of coolant. As the guy was doing the oil change I noticed that around the final drive fill and drain bolts there is another bolt. I believe this bolt holds the case together. I noticed some cracks.

ImageImage
Last edited by PCX2016 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American in Cambodia !!!
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Thoroughly pissed off, for the lack of understanding from the 1st Honda dealer about how an oil change supposed to be done, I decided to stop at another Honda dealer on my way home. What a difference, night and day, very nice people, the mechanic seems to be know what they are doing. They put my moto on the lift, and they pulled out the screw near what appear to to be a crack. And as you can see from the pictures, the crack is superficial, it's just at the surface, and they assured me that there will not be a problem. Awesome, no charge and I'm on my way. For sure if I need to come back to the dealer this will be the dealer that I go to.... Now I just need to purchase some tools and I don't have to worry about anyone screwing anything up, because I'm going to do the maintenance myself from now on.

American in Cambodia !!!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Don't get all worked up about cleaning the screen. I didn't clean it until my second oil change at about 2000 miles, and there was absolutely nothing on it. It catches the big stuff but let's the smaller particles through, and that's why I change the oil every 6 to 9 months, to get rid of the particulates And the other stuff in suspension.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Jge64 wrote:Don't get all worked up about cleaning the screen. I didn't clean it until my second oil change at about 2000 miles, and there was absolutely nothing on it. It catches the big stuff but let's the smaller particles through, and that's why I change the oil every 6 to 9 months, to get rid of the particulates And the other stuff in suspension.
It's the fact that I am at a Honda dealer. Well this is Cambodia, and a lot of done half-azz...
American in Cambodia !!!
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

PCX2016 wrote:
[...]and see how much they want for an oil change. 5 USD, I can't go wrong with that price so, I opted for an oil change.

This mechanic was such a tool. The first thing I noticed , all the other bikes on the lift was on the center stand . This guy had my moto on the side stand , and I know that the oil would not be properly drained if the bike is on the side stand . So I went over to the guy and I held the bike straight up . Also there's a language barrier so that gave us some more issues. I asked the guy about cleaning the screen and he says no no no no . I had to get someone else to explain to him that the screen needed to be clean . Now the other guy said no no no , so I showed the PDF on my phone about cleaning the screen, and they said okay we can clean it for an extra $5. So the total for the oil change and adding a little bit of coolant was $12. $5 for the oil change, $5 for the screen, and $2 for a bottle of coolant.[...]
So that was US$12 for the changes (labour fees) and fluids?

My dealer would charge me about US$8 for engine oil alone, not including labour fee. I think they did clean the oil screen every time that I changed oil with them. I did my changes there 3 times to use my 3 free service deal that came with my bike purchase. Labour fee would be about US$7. No torque wrenches involved. In September, I did my coolant change after 2+ years at another shop for about US$14. Still got surplus coolant enough for maybe 2 coolant changes if it doesn't go bad in storage.

My next changes will be done by me.
ImageImageImage
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Correct, $12usd out the door
raito wrote:
PCX2016 wrote:
[...]and see how much they want for an oil change. 5 USD, I can't go wrong with that price so, I opted for an oil change.

This mechanic was such a tool. The first thing I noticed , all the other bikes on the lift was on the center stand . This guy had my moto on the side stand , and I know that the oil would not be properly drained if the bike is on the side stand . So I went over to the guy and I held the bike straight up . Also there's a language barrier so that gave us some more issues. I asked the guy about cleaning the screen and he says no no no no . I had to get someone else to explain to him that the screen needed to be clean . Now the other guy said no no no , so I showed the PDF on my phone about cleaning the screen, and they said okay we can clean it for an extra $5. So the total for the oil change and adding a little bit of coolant was $12. $5 for the oil change, $5 for the screen, and $2 for a bottle of coolant.[...]
So that was US$12 for the changes (labour fees) and fluids?

My dealer would charge me about US$8 for engine oil alone, not including labour fee. I think they did clean the oil screen every time that I changed oil with them. I did my changes there 3 times to use my 3 free service deal that came with my bike purchase. Labour fee would be about US$7. No torque wrenches involved. In September, I did my coolant change after 2+ years at another shop for about US$14. Still got surplus coolant enough for maybe 2 coolant changes if it doesn't go bad in storage.

My next changes will be done by me.
American in Cambodia !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Considering how much it costs to have the bike serviced in the United States and in the UK, I doubt that any of us could get the oil changed for anything less than $45 - $50. Labor charges her are around $75/hour...some places higher than that. It should be a 30 minute job if you count the time for it just sitting there draining. I can do it at home in 15 minutes...except when my neighbor helps me. Then it is 15 minutes to change the oil and 30 minutes to clean up the oil that the neighbor was suppose to be watching to make sure it went into the catch basin. Don't let your neighbor help you unless you are certain that they know what they are doing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Mel46 wrote: Don't let your neighbor help you unless you are certain that they know what they are doing.
Haha, duly noted.

American in Cambodia !!!
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Does anyone know a good way to clean the speedometer?. As you could see in the second picture, I did clean it a little with the back of a sponge, I use the gritty part, but I don't want to do too much and damage it. What can I use to get this nice and clear?ImageImage

American in Cambodia !!!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

You are on tricky ground. Plastic polishes do exist (think sailboat/marine plexiglas polish or headlight polish), but might be hard to find where you are. A really gentle toothpaste might be of some use, but try it in small place first. If you can find a product called micro-mesh, you could try some in a very high "grit" (like 8000 or higher) using water as a lubricant.

Be careful. It is very easy to do more harm than good.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep an eye out for some of these products. Just curious if you know, why does aplastic become translucent,?

GeorgeSK wrote:You are on tricky ground. Plastic polishes do exist (think sailboat/marine plexiglas polish or headlight polish), but might be hard to find where you are. A really gentle toothpaste might be of some use, but try it in small place first. If you can find a product called micro-mesh, you could try some in a very high "grit" (like 8000 or higher) using water as a lubricant.

Be careful. It is very easy to do more harm than good.
American in Cambodia !!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Try Polywatch.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

You'll never be able to polish that back to clarity without taking it off the bike and giving it to a professional that's got some power tools. Just replace the meter lens. It's not expensive, but it might require a skilled technician to do it.
Glen
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Jge64 wrote:You'll never be able to polish that back to clarity without taking it off the bike and giving it to a professional that's got some power tools. Just replace the meter lens. It's not expensive, but it might require a skilled technician to do it.
Okay, interesting. How does this even happen to a speedometer face, why does it turn translucent?

American in Cambodia !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think car headlights get that way from heat and the environment combined. You are in a hot climate, plus there must be a lot of pollution there. I have not seen that on a dash before.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I think car headlights get that way from heat and the environment combined. You are in a hot climate, plus there must be a lot of pollution there. I have not seen that on a dash before.

I think it's been scoured rather than UV haze.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Correct… This has nothing to do with being translucent. It has to do is somebody taking some type of scouring rag or a dirty rag and scrubbing the hell out of the lens. Replace it.
Glen
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I think the others are right - some PO tried to get bird turd or tar or something off the dash, and was totally ham-handed. You have nothing to loose, but if you can find some kind of polish and a rotary tool (Dremmel sort of thing) with a buffing pad, you might be able to make it better. Replacement is the best option. Looks like around $35 USD
https://www.motorcyclegoodies.com/oempa ... peedometer.

I would do it. Looking down at that would make me very sad.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I've had success in the past using "Flitz" to remove haze from plastic car headlight lens covers.

But I think to smooth out the amount of scratches I see in your dash pic is going to be a real task. Remove and replace with a new dash cover may be an option.

But here is a link to the "Flitz" website anyways. I'm not sure if they sell it where you live but if so you would most likely find it at a place that sells boating supplies or marine products. :D

https://www.flitz.com/