New specs electric PCX released!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

rvkssl
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white

New specs electric PCX released!

Post by rvkssl »

For anyone who's interested at some additional specs released last week:

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2018 ... ctric.html

Cheers.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Re: New specs electric PCX released!

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Less than 30 miles (41 km) range in ideal conditions?
Very limited use...
Cool, perky and new but not much than a gimmick toy.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Silly machine for most commutes and probably cost more to charge and eventual replacement of the lithium cells than a normal PCX running on petrol. The Hybrid petrol/electric bike Honda had pics of some months back is the only real solution. Lithium batteries do not last for ever, even expensive electric cycle cells only have stated charge cycles of around 800 - so, 2-3 years before they lose capacity in optimum circumtances and then you need to pay a high cost for new ones.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Silly machine for most commutes and probably cost more to charge and eventual replacement of the lithium cells than a normal PCX running on petrol. The Hybrid petrol/electric bike Honda had pics of some months back is the only real solution. Lithium batteries do not last for ever, even expensive electric cycle cells only have stated charge cycles of around 800 - so, 2-3 years before they lose capacity in optimum circumtances and then you need to pay a high cost for new ones.

I know why normal batteries age due to sulphation but don't know why lithium batteries age. Does anyone know?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Here's my "Global" view on the situation. :D

To produce electric or hybrid modes of transportation is a noble cause. You just have to ask yourself "is the electricity to recharge the batteries coming from hydro electric, nuclear, wind, solar, or fossil fuel fired generation plants?". And, also, just how effective and how much impact does it have on the planet's environment considering what it is you are on. I think no matter what way you cut the cake a 100 MPG (non 2-stroke) scooter that burns fossil fuel isn't going to tilt the scales in favor of global warming like an SUV hybrid would. Just the pollution alone from manufacturing an SUV compared to a scooter (or motorcycle) is quite different.

For humanity to survive in the future I think we need to put the focus on "less is more".

Since we do indeed breath what we burn, I'm more concerned about the emissions from SUVs, trucks, and luxury automobiles than I am motorcycles and scooters. The "bigger is better" trend seems to continue and humanity participates with reckless abandon.

The common good, world wide cooperation (I mean in a way that is mutually beneficial for survival), and strategic planning to support the needs of rising population levels need to be the priority. This means more mass transit, more locally grown food supplies, more reliance on plant based food and less on animal products (the meat business pollutes massively), just to mention a few, and more personal choices that generally add value to the environment.

It all sounds very idealistic but at the end of it all it's not nice to fool Mother Nature. :D

I don't feel that electric motorcycles or scooters are practical. I wouldn't buy one. The range is too short. Battery cost, battery life, safety to some extent when they start running low and you are gong too slow, and recycling are all issues. What sounds like a good thing IMHO pales in comparison to the damage done by conspicuous consumption without consideration for life on this planet.

Just my two cents worth. :geek:

:lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Total transition to electric vehicles is impossible. Simply could not produce enough power to any grid for everyone to charge their vehicle... EVER. But I want California to try :D then the rest of us can continue to have cheap gasoline forever!
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by gregsta »

We're would you charge it in this country their are not enough charging points around. Like someone else said hybrid would be better 30 miles is useless to me.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Old Grinner wrote:Here's my "Global" view on the situation. :D

To produce electric or hybrid modes of transportation is a noble cause. You just have to ask yourself "is the electricity to recharge the batteries coming from hydro electric, nuclear, wind, solar, or fossil fuel fired generation plants?". And, also, just how effective and how much impact does it have on the planet's environment considering what it is you are on. I think no matter what way you cut the cake a 100 MPG (non 2-stroke) scooter that burns fossil fuel isn't going to tilt the scales in favor of global warming like an SUV hybrid would. Just the pollution alone from manufacturing an SUV compared to a scooter (or motorcycle) is quite different.

For humanity to survive in the future I think we need to put the focus on "less is more".

Since we do indeed breath what we burn, I'm more concerned about the emissions from SUVs, trucks, and luxury automobiles than I am motorcycles and scooters. The "bigger is better" trend seems to continue and humanity participates with reckless abandon.

The common good, world wide cooperation (I mean in a way that is mutually beneficial for survival), and strategic planning to support the needs of rising population levels need to be the priority. This means more mass transit, more locally grown food supplies, more reliance on plant based food and less on animal products (the meat business pollutes massively), just to mention a few, and more personal choices that generally add value to the environment.

It all sounds very idealistic but at the end of it all it's not nice to fool Mother Nature. :D

I don't feel that electric motorcycles or scooters are practical. I wouldn't buy one. The range is too short. Battery cost, battery life, safety to some extent when they start running low and you are gong too slow, and recycling are all issues. What sounds like a good thing IMHO pales in comparison to the damage done by conspicuous consumption without consideration for life on this planet.

Just my two cents worth. :geek:

:lol:
+1
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The big advantage of hybrid over total electric is that it charges itself, and until we find a better way to produce electricity cheaper, the total electric vehicle may be no better than the gas powered one in some areas.

As far as hybrid SUVs go, I call those "feel good cars". I have seen big GMC SUVs that have big engines, but they say Hybrid on the side. The gas mileage without it being a hybrid is 16 - 18 mpg in the city. With the hybrid system it is 18 - 19 mpg in the city. Hmmm...considering the resources used to make it a hybrid, what is the advantage?? A feel good vehicle that makes the family that drives one feel like they are helping the environment. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

A good hybrid is more than that. The hybrid power is used to takeoff quicker from 0 to 10 miles an hour and get you that added Torque, yet still have a smaller engine for cruising.

Also before you condemn all the electrics realize the electrical car industry guys aren't stupid. They realize they have to have batteries last a LOT LOT longer than they do now. and charge MUCH faster. The new Porsche is moving toward that direction, when it comes out 2020, it'll charge 80% of the battery in 20 minutes. It has a range of 315 miles. Electric cars only make a lot of sense in volume when the following happens:
cars get 1000 miles per charge and charge it on AC 110 in 90 minutes, 80 pct in a gas fillup time.
People are buying a lot less cars for their own personal use,
Using autonomus trans/uber is
when like two of your friends out of 10 have a car and the others don't.

That's 30 years away but its coming, but the market for all personal cars will be substantially reduced.....

The impala was killed this past week by gm.....the impala i grew up with.....wow
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:A good hybrid is more than that. The hybrid power is used to takeoff quicker from 0 to 10 miles an hour and get you that added Torque, yet still have a smaller engine for cruising.

Also before you condemn all the electrics realize the electrical car industry guys aren't stupid. They realize they have to have batteries last a LOT LOT longer than they do now. and charge MUCH faster. The new Porsche is moving toward that direction, when it comes out 2020, it'll charge 80% of the battery in 20 minutes. It has a range of 315 miles. Electric cars only make a lot of sense in volume when the following happens:
cars get 1000 miles per charge and charge it on AC 110 in 90 minutes, 80 pct in a gas fillup time.
People are buying a lot less cars for their own personal use,
Using autonomus trans/uber is
when like two of your friends out of 10 have a car and the others don't.

That's 30 years away but its coming, but the market for all personal cars will be substantially reduced.....

The impala was killed this past week by gm.....the impala i grew up with.....wow
Couldn’t agree more.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

ill wait for the tech to mature before jumping in the bandwagon..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Extended wheelbase and PCX series-first rear-hugger allows housing of the mobile power packs in what was the PCX’s luggage box
o_O That's all I needed to nope out on this bike
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

Cube wrote:
Extended wheelbase and PCX series-first rear-hugger allows housing of the mobile power packs in what was the PCX’s luggage box
o_O That's all I needed to nope out on this bike
Agreed, I would have little use for a scooter with no underseat storage. But I doubt we'll see that in the USA anytime soon - heck, they don't even give us the auto-stop feature or whatever it's called in overseas markets. With gas currently at only $2 per gallon it makes little economic sense to sell an electric scooter here, especially when the gas version PCX150 gets over 100 mpg and has a range of over 200 miles compared to only 30 miles for the electric.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
WI_Hedgehog